Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's Happened to our Threads?

Not so very long ago, there were typically two or three pages of "New Posts" each day. Recently, it's rare to see more than one page of "New Posts." Active threads disappear pretty quickly. I've taken to PMing people when I've answered a question because the thread disappears so soon after I've publicly posted.

Is this a purposeful change? Or is it just the vaguaries of Internet algotithms? I really appreciate having lots of threads to browse when I visit the forum. Can anything be done?
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

2. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's Happened to our Threads?

If you remember what category the thread was in, you can search that category. You also can enter key words in the search box. I browse the Activity Stream to get the latest posts.

4. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed this too. I usually just click on new posts....several times a day and browse but for the last few weeks theres not much here and I wondered If I need to surf differently. I really don't want to go to each category since I come often, new posts seem like they should encompass all of the NEW POSTS. And, you're right, most don't stay very long and some seem to linger forever.
    I don't want 3 or 4 pages but I'd like to see the posts stay up for several days.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed the same thing, but this time when I clicked on new posts, I got 4 pages worth. So maybe someone is listening?!

7. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

As a forum admin for other sites, I believe it's just based on what you look at and how often you visit. The "New Posts" list isn't populated for all members - it's actually the same as running a search based on "new since your User Name last logged in" - so if you visit at 8am (whether you read the new messages or not) and then come back at 10am, you will only see threads listed on the New Posts page if there is a new topic or a new response to a topic since your 8am login.

In general I think folks are moving away from their computers to prep for the holidays and this is just a general slowdown of chatter on the site as a result. After Christmas and New Years the posts usually pick back up and we get back to "normal" routines.

If you think posts are being considered to have been seen or read when they are actually new, you might also want to check the cookie settings on your browser. I don't know what's optimal for forums, but cookies do play into what the search results believe is new since your last visit.

Hope this helps.

9. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That makes sense Squeaky. When I broke my wrist I stayed off for a couple of weeks. When I got back on this happened to me too.

Lorie

11. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I tried to grasp what Cookie said, but I am basically computer illiterate and can't quite grasp it in a manner that will fix it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you log out of the forum and then log back in, the "New Posts" restarts. Try not logging out but closing the window tab on your search engine. When you go back to the forum later, the new posts will normally continue and will be updated. However, if the company has to reset the forum, then it will also reset the new threads. I have 3 pages of new posts at the moment. I wasn't officially signed in to but could view them but had to log in to reply to your thread.
    Last edited by RiverMomm; December 14th, 2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: changed the amount of pages i can see

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I never stay logged in to any web site, incl. the Forum. I turn off my laptop between uses. If there are only a few New Posts, I just browse the Activity Stream. I haven't learned how to remove cookies, but I have so many ads bugging me every time I log on, it's ridiculous. Many of them are from M*! Also Office Depot, since I recently ordered a lamp which was out of stock in the store. I get tons of e-m's from Thrift Books, since I order freq. from them, but I don't want to unsubscribe because they sometimes send discount coupons, etc. Most of the books they recommend I've already read or I'm not interested in.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thank you everyone. It's good to understand why this is happening, and I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only person who's noticed this. I never, ever log out of the forum, so that might be why I'm not seeing many new posts. Activity Stream is another good option to try, and not one I've clicked very often.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?