Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bargello Squaring

Hi all,

I'm having a devil of a time trying to figure out the best way to square up a king-size Bargello before putting on a border. I'm a beginner with quilting. I took great pains not to sew my strips in the same direction, but to alternate. I'm thinking now I might have done better to also use an even-feed foot. When sewing the cross-cut strips, I did sometimes have trouble keeping things from stretching/shifting.

All told, the sides of the quilt are roughly the same length, but there's a bit of a trapezoidal skew to the top...and one cend is more skewed than the opposite end.

My questions is this...does it ever work to pull or tug at the fabric to square it up better before trimming, or is it better to recognize that the fabric has skewed during assembly, and instead square it up using the the long seams as a guide first, then cross-cutting the other two sides to create a square top. I hope my drawing clears up what I mean.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QuiltDiagram.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	148387

2. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bargello Squaring

The process of getting your skewed quilt square again is called "blocking". Goggle how to block your quilt. There are many articles and you tube videos.

Good luck and happy quilting.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on what the quilt is to be purposed for, whether it is likely to be washed often, or hung on a wall etc etc. I had the same problem with a Bargello I did last year, I think they can be tricky to keep square purely because of all the little piecing and strips that's done...I ended up trimming it to square it.....it ended up a bit shorter than I had wanted but as it was to go on our bed in our caravan I wasn't overly concerned. It sort of spooked me a bit and I doubt I would attempt another one that was to be gifted or used prominently in my home....I'm just not that good a piecer and quilter to achieve the end result needed. I've never blocked a quilt and have often wondered if after washing it would return to its' original shape?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Rob just posted a video on squaring a quilt. check it out here https://youtu.be/TcgOsoWXy2A