Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Question Looking for layer cake suggestions

Hi fellow quilters. I have a bad habit of buying layer cakes and fat quarter bundles, along with a couple yards of coordinating fabric, with no particular goal in mind. These pretty fabrics await use while I finish in-progress work. Often when I'm ready to use the fabrics, I don't have enough yardage to do a particular project, and the fabric is no longer available. Oops!

Right now I have a layer cake with a wintery pattern along with one yard each of two of the fabrics. When I bought this layer cake it 'spoke to me' as something a particular friend would love, and my goal was to make a table topper for her for Christmas. Now that I'm almost ready to begin (and with the holidays fast approaching) I am looking for ideas for a quick, simple pattern that will have large enough piecing to show off the fabrics. I would prefer not to have to buy extra fabric for background etc if possible.

Certainly pinwheels or an HST medley would be a fast and easy solution, but maybe there's something else I could try. I've Googled and looked through Pinterest ad nauseum but would love suggestions from other quilters. Thank you, and Happy Holidays!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for layer cake suggestions

I can't help you. I have the same problem. Looking forward to the experts advice.

3. Thanks NanaMaggie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here are several tutorials all wrapped into one

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nners+tutorial
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

5. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    Here are several tutorials all wrapped into one

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nners+tutorial
    I knew an expert would be out there

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one I hope to try next year with a layer cake I bought earlier this year. It's a mixture of HST

https://static.fatquartershop.com/me...ns-Rainbow.pdf

8. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stitches23 View Post
    Here's one I hope to try next year with a layer cake I bought earlier this year. It's a mixture of HST

https://static.fatquartershop.com/me...ns-Rainbow.pdf

Wow!! I like that. Adding it to my every growing list. Thank you!

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Stitches23. I really appreciate your providing a specific, layer-cake friendly pattern. As mentioned I've already done a lot of research, so I was looking for individual patterns that would utilize a layer cake to showcase the prints. This one just might do the trick! Thanks again

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen Jenny's Quatrefoil quilt tutorial on YouTube? I love this pattern, and it lends itself to Christmasy fabrics too. I know M* sold this in a kit with Christmas fabric. Anyway, I think it's awesome, and it would make a lovely runner as well. Hope you like it!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Jenny's tutorials on the Quatrefoil, the Pony Express, and Ribbons are good too. So many to choose from...

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stitches23 View Post
    Yes, Jenny's tutorials on the Quatrefoil, the Pony Express, and Ribbons are good too. So many to choose from...
    Thank you for the Quatrefoil reminder; I've had that one pinned for a while. In this case I'd have to cut up the 10" squares more than desired. I've made a Ribbons quilt already too, it's a great pattern!

After a bit more research I found a very simple block that will retain the majority of the "featured" squares and use assorted other squares as sashing/accent, so I shouldn't have to buy any yardage to manage a square table topper. It's the Morning Star block, shown on the attachment, and I'll be using the Holiday Meadow by Pink Chandelier/Wilmington Prints layer cake. I'll try to remember to post a photo of the finished product.

Now to get started! Thanks again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morning Star photo.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	148313