Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walking foot problem

Hi, I am a new quilter learning to use the walking foot. My machine is the Babylock Elizabeth and sews beautifully, normally. I am sure this is user error, but my walking foot is jumping after a few stitches; I continually tighten the wf screw and the needle screw, as the jumping causes the needle to come out. Thank you for your assistance, Barb

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Walking foot problem

Welcome Barb! I don't have any specific solutions for your jumping walking foot, but I've found that when I have bizarre behavior on my sewing machine it can be helpful to just start again. Remove the walking foot and needle, remove thread, remove needle plate thingy and clean the bobbin area etc. Test with a regular foot to make sure everything is smooth as normal, and then switch to your walking foot with the same thread, needle and fabric sandwich. It's possible you just have a bad foot, not user error.... Good luck!
    Slainte!

Liz

3. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Is it screwed on tight enough? Mine comes really lose fast if I don't.

Welcome!

Lorie

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I was having the same problem, and checked this site for advice. I ended up, and I DONT advise this for those who are not mechanically inclined, taking apart the whole device. Turns out there was a chunk of black guck causing the problem. It was interfering with the extension arm from moving smoothly. I managed to reassemble the foot, but there is a tiny TINY piece that could easily have gotten lost. So if you take this step, use a pan to catch all the bits.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I have to remember to check the screw too when I use the walking foot it will rattle loose even when screw is "man tight". I have a BL Symphony. Another problem I have when using the wf is the bobbin tension is off. I have used a wf on other machines and never had that problem. Anyone else have bad tension using the wf with BL machines?
    Trisha
    Coram Deo

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You have probably used the WF before but here are the instructions and specs for you.

http://babylock.com/ftp/whitepapers/BLG-WF.pdf

I keep all of these in a binder for each machine to use as reference.

What speed are you using? Straight stitch?

Does it have a lever on the side? I can't tell from the pics. The big WF for other machine has a lever that needs to be in correct position. Good luck - - - hope that helps.

8. Thanks Irene221b thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry but I have never had a problem with the WF on my Babylocks. I have the Espire and the Rachel.

But, a while back, someone on here said to never use the walking foot for decorative stitching and that includes anything that's not a straight stitch. It can mess up the walking foot.
    Vonnie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

There is a Walking Foot class or two on Craftsy. The ones by G. Gerring tell you you can do deco stitches with it. I have done lots of serpentine with mine. I hope I don't regret it.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

My LQS owner said she uses her WF for binding and uses the blind stitch all the time. I've never used mine for binding, but might try it this weekend on a quilt I have ready to bind. I hope I don't regret it!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Did you get the WF issue fixed yet?

Check that the needle is the correct one for your machine.

Check that needle is inserted all the way UP into the holder and then tighten.

I also use the WF for sewing on binding and decorative stitches.