Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: New member!

Shiny Thimble

sometimes in Canada, sometimes in Arizona and sometimes in Spain!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New member!

Hi, I'm brand new to the site and very new to quilting. I am also a new Grandma - well a year ago now, and I'm loving both being a Grandma, and also making lots of homemade things for my little Grand daughter. I have a question though about ironing using steam or no steam when pressing my blocks and sashes. What do you recommend and why do you recommend that particular way. I've seen products such as "Best Press" and I'm not sure if I really need products like this. Your comments are all appreciated. Thanks,

Jennifer

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New member!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welcome-clipart-Free-welcome-clip-art-images-clipart.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	148251

Well, to steam or not to steam That is a personal question. I am a steam girl, I use it often and I also use a lot of starch, Best press is a nice starch alternative but for the amount I use it gets pricey so I just use the cheap stuff-Niagra brand I think, a can at Walmart is only 97 cents.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, I use steam. But there are those who swear no steam....go figure. It's a personal preference. I rarely use starch.
    So happy you've joined us and welcome to the forum from Michigan! Lots of smart, helpful people here. Enjoy!

Name:  IMG_1876.GIF
Views: 48
Size:  10.5 KB
    Anita

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and Welcome!! I'm part of the steam crowd too. I use Best Press to get out stubborn wrinkles or when I've cut out triangles to "set them" so they don't seem to stretch out as much. I like Best Press because it is light and I like how the Fresh Linen scent smells.

Jeannette

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Wisconsin! I use steam on everything, I think it just makes the seams lie flatter and easier to join together. I have both Niagra and Best Press but honestly I am not much of a starcher, I always forget I even have it. Some ppl use it on everything though. I guess you will just have to experiment, I don't think either way is right or wrong.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use steam and starch. I usually use starch before cutting, steam on stubborn seams.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Steam and starch here too. I usually only steam and starch once the block has been constructed before I trim. And maybe steam if the fabric has wrinkles or only on a fold mark (think the fold on a jelly roll strip.) I definitely starch the fabric before cutting if I need to cut pieces that have a bias edge. HTH

Batting Beauty

Dewey, Arizona (transplanted Hoosier from Hobart, Indiana)
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also a steam and starch girl! I use a lot of both of them ... welcome to the forum! There are many smart quilters here that have lots of knowledge to share! Enjoy your new craft!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Florida!

Another steam and starch gal here. Bias edges are easier to control with starch, I like best press but use magic sizing as well. Steam just makes everything look nice and control stubborn seam allowances.
    Maggie

If you learn nothing else in this life, learn this - Be Kind!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use a little steam also. The main thing is to make sure you are "pressing rather than ironing. Pressing is an up-and-down motion and ironing is back and forth. Whether you use a product like Best Press or not, you can stretch your fabric by ironing rather than pressing.

Welcome to the forum from Missouri.