Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help :)

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please help :)

I had a Pfaff 5.0 for about a year and then decided I wanted to be able to embroider too, so I traded my Pfaff first in for the Pfaff top of the line that does embroidery (can't remember if it's called Creative Performance or what), but a few days later, I decided I really wanted the Baby Lock Unity, so the owner of the shop where I bought it let me trade machines since they were virtually the same price. I think it was last spring and I have yet to attach the embroidery unit to it! I wish I had kept the Pfaff for the IDT now!
    So make sure whatever you buy is something you will really use and not just have like I do! I will say in comparing the two machines, the Pfaff is more of a "mechanical machine" versus the Baby Lock which seems to be more "digital" if that makes sense. Both are great machines. The only other machine I had was when I got out of high school and got a Singer for graduation. I've only been quilting about 5 or 6 years, so I'm no expert on anything - just my opinion.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I can't throw my two pennies in as I'm a Singer and Brother girl, although I would agree with the other posts, go for the largest throat you can get and make sure it's from a place who can offer advice and good customer service.

I just wanted to say Hi from West Yorkshire, whereabouts are you in England?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with Singer and Brother, MaryUK; those have been my machines too.
    By the way, Crafty Mummy, I don't suppose your Juki has a feed dog cover plate? My Singer S16 does...but then I can also reduce the stitch size to 0, so the plate may not be a necessity.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can cover the feed dogs with an old credit card or hotel key card -- just make sure it doesn't cover the hole where you needle goes down to the bobbin.

But if you want a new machine -- don't tell your husband about covering the feed dogs!
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

When considering harp space, remember it is not necessarily length to consider but also height. I have a Bernina 710 with a large harp space and also own a JukiTL2010Q.....it's harp space is "shorter" but it is higher and I find it easier to put a quilt through a higher space. The Bernina is just my "spare machine" now...much prefer the Juki with the smaller length, but higher height harp. Also, as inferred in other posts, you don't need to drop your feed dogs to do fmq...simply set the stitch length to 0 and cover your dogs.

6. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I have the pfaff performance 5.0 and love it! It is easy to use, plenty of features to grow into, and lots of throat space. I have quilted many king sized quilts on it. The hover foot is nice for applique and general pivoting in sewing. I found a YouTube when I was looking at machines that reviewed all the features of the 5.0. It pretty much sold me. Then I found a dealer and it totally confirmed that this was the one for me! Good luck in your selection!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

If you set your stitch length to 0 you don't need to drop the feed dogs. Leah Day doesn't drop hers.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jukis are great machines and you can quilt with it. But if you really want another machine, Pfaff is a great choice. I have a combo machine, Creative 3.0, and love it. The IDT is Handy but I really love the pivot or hover feature.