Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Question OnPoint Tutorial for power cutting

Over the weekend, I happened onto a video on Facebook for folding fabric to be ready for your projects and power cutting. It was done by Nancy Roelfsema, and was very educational for me.
    After looking at more of her videos, I've discovered there is much I don't know about quilting.
    Do any of you find her tutorials better than others, such as MSQ, or others. I know everyone has their own preference or way of doing anything, but since I'm still what I consider a novice, I appreciate those that are more knowledgeable sharing their views and recommendations. I really liked the way she folded everything as soon as she got it and her fabric pantry was so orderly. Also was astounded that she uses the back of her cutting matt because she feels they are not as accurate as her favorite ruler, the Omnigrid. Another thing she does that I have heard others refer to before - is the little scrap she puts at the beginning of sewing her seam, I think to keep the bobbin thread from leaving that little nest of thread that sometimes happens.

I just purchased the Martelli reversible matt so there is no un-ruled side. I also purchased their ruler with the slits for cutting strips, etc. and really like that it doesn't slide, and their rotary cutter. I'm still not sure about the cutter but it does help me be a little more accurate.

I'd appreciate your opinions and any tips and tricks you can share.

2. Thanks giig21, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OnPoint Tutorial for power cutting

I learned to prefold my fabric from a Craftsy class. She also taught me how to cut strips better. If you need four 2.5" cuts, cut at the ten, then move the ruler to 7.5 and cut, then move to 5 and cut, and finally cut at 2.5. That way you are measuring from the same clean cut line at 0. That was so enlightening for me. I use my wide ruler and fold my fabric over it and then slip the ruler out for a uniform size.

I use the front of my cutting mat, but I don't use the lines to measure with. I use my ruler for that. I do use the lines to align strips but then I measure with my ruler and cut.

The little scraps are called leaders & enders. There are other names too. A lot of people use them but I don't. I tried a time or two but gave up as it was too much of a bother for me. But many swear by using the method to keep thread problems away.

There are a TON of tips here on the forum. Just keep reading and you'll find them. That's what makes this forum so fun - learning from one another.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many helpful tutorials and instructors out there on Youtube, that I couldn't possibly list all those that have assisted me in learning.

Some of the teachers are just fun to watch, and I watch more for inspiration than education, such as (in no particular order) MSQ, Jordan Fabrics, Midnight Quilt Show, Man Sewing (etc etc etc). But when any of them mention a terminology or technique that I'm not familiar with, or unsure of, I search You-tube for that term, and watch however many videos necessary until I find one that makes sense and is well demonstrated, then I bookmark it for future reference.

My #1 Tip for you...... If I can't find a video or other source that works for me, then I come to the forum and ask, there's always someone that has a wonderful source and willing to share!

My cutting mat is unlined on the backside, so I do tend to flip it around frequently. I found with my old-retired mat I was cutting on the same lines over and over again, and then those lines got gunked up with lint or just didn't "heal" properly, so to give the new mat a break and reduce wear and tear on one side, I use the back side whenever I'm either squaring up a block, or using my Strip type ruler. My so called new mat has been heavily used the past 4 years, but still looks good and has lots of life left in it.

5. Thanks giig21 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I like her videos too. Thanks for posting.

Agree to fold fabric and put away ASAP but I fold differently.

Stash fabrics have been folded and re-folded a few times. LOL! At one time, I had fabrics folded like she showed and re-folded everything in my stash.

My favorite way is to ruler fold with a 6 1/2 inch ruler across the whole WOF. Then fold the whole piece in half. Stacked on shelves the fabrics look much neater. I also tag the piece with amount of yardage so no need to re-measure. It's already done. I can slide out one piece easily between the stacks as needed.

Good Luck with organizing & cutting fabrics!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I told my DH that I am a youtube junkie! Just like others above, when I need to know how to do something, I either google it or go to youtube. I'm not familiar with the lady you mentioned, but I will check her out.

One of the reasons I like to use leaders and enders is when I'm using a needle plate with a wide hole for the needle. I'm lazy and don't switch back and forth between decorative stitches and straight stitches. Plus, my small machine that I take to class only has the one needle plate. If I don't use the leaders and enders, my machine might try to eat my fabric, especially when there's a point at the beginning, like half-square triangles.

Another website you might be interested in is Bonnie's Quiltville website. She shows a no math way of measuring borders that I have used. I bought a longarm a while back and have had no problems with my borders being wavy.
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...der-hints.html
    Vonnie

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a ruler with slits and I use it all the time! Great time saver.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mat got old so I turned it over. I only use it for cutting not measuring. I use my ruler for that. I do have a new mat waiting under the old one.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Lots of great tips and helpful information. I visit the forum regularly just to see what everyone is doing and also to gain knowledge. I definitely need to try to use the leaders if I can figure out how to do it, because I often have trouble with my fabric getting caught at the first few stitches. Thanks so much for all the shared information everyone!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've only seen a few of Nancy's tutorials -- including the Power Cutting one -- but have more of her videos running now on a playlist!

Be sure to check out forum members' Notes Pages! You can access by clicking on the forum member's name at the left of their post and then View Profile, then Notes. Many of us have resources and links listed.

I recently sent an email to a friend that has begun to quilt where I listed popular resource links, online vendors, and reputable brands of fabric and thread. PM me if you want that list.

Happy Quilting!
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched Nancy Roelfsema's presentation on power cutting and I think what I learned from it may be the answer to my difficulty with cutting straight strips. So many things I'm not doing correctly! I'm going to grab some fabric and practice this method.