Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sunday Morning - The Microwave Died! :(

Good Morning ~ Well, rats! The microwave died yest. eve. It's 7.5 yrs. old, so I guess we got our money's worth. The same model as what we have is out of stock at Lowe's (where we bought this one) & is not available till Dec. 16. That won't work. But they have a comparable model; it's a Frigidaire. I'll go look at it after church this morning. What we have is a 1.4 cu. ft., 1,100 watt. I want white, & it has to be a countertop model. Neither DH nor I can lift the MW to put it in the trash or carry the new one from the car. I've asked a friend from church if he could help us. He'll come over this afternoon. He's the same guy who is our snow angel. God bless friends who are willing to help.

We had another sunny day yest. It got up to 62 deg. Today will be our last warm day for a while. We've had a clear night with that bright "super moon". Today is full moon.

Yest. I did all hand sewing -- the labels on the 4 mini quilts & another label on the "How Charming" quilt I plan to gift to my niece. She's never married & is caregiver for her mom, my bro.'s widow. It is one of the quilts I entered in the guild quilt show, but they didn't have space for it. A few days ago I removed the hanging sleeve & pressed the fabric to save.

It's time to fix DH's breakfast & get on with the day.

2. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sunday Morning - The Microwave Died! :(

Good morning. Sorry about your microwave. I'm glad you will have help getting your new one in and set up.

We had a busy day yesterday. Got some windows washed and lots of decorating done. Dh got the grocery shopping done too.

Today my sis and I are headed up to my sons in Peekskill. Their dad's two sisters and maybe my nephew will be visiting and we haven't seen each other in a couple years. It should be a nice afternoon.

Guess I should get myself moving along . I hope everyone has a great day.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

4. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

oh bless you Joy. I'm glad you have a helping hand in your neighbor. My microwave is 25 yrs old. My daughter had a boyfriend in college that bought it for her and when they broke up she gave it to me. Its been a workhorse.
    Weather here has been beautiful but is turning cold come Wednesday. It looks a little grey out there this morning but maybe the sun will shine later.
    Heading to Clemmons, NC this afternoon. Going to trade in my sewing machine tomorrow with DD. I think this LQS should be happy to have two customers trading on a Monday Morning. I thought I might take the Ruby Husqvarna for a test drive. Its way out of my price range but, I'd like to see it just the same. I think it is the same machine I have only with embroidery capabilities.
    Fininshed the FMQ on the log cabin. Only need to bind it now. I'm glad its done.
    Got to gather up all the accessories this morning and make sure the machine is clean and load up the truck for the long drive. Happy day to all of you.

6. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning Joy and all who follow.

It sure is cloudy this morning. DH started out in a long sleeved shirt yesterday and changed midday to a tee shirt. It ended up in the low 80s. It's our first Christmas in FL and it's still kind of weird not having the sweatshirts out, but I like it!

We'll be heading to church soon and we have the frames with ornaments ready for the kids to give to their parents, other grandparents, and great grand parents that live here. We have the last set for the great grandparents that travel the world that will arrive much closer to Christmas.

DIL has a friend that's had a hard time this year, she's doing wrapping Christmas presents to help supplement the family budget. We're gathering up the stuff we have ready to take for her to wrap for us. Listening to her story, I just felt its something we can do to help them out and it will make her family's Christmas a little brighter.

I still haven't gotten started on the second Mt. View. We'll have all of the kids on Monday, so it looks like it might be Tuesday before we are able to do that. DS#2 wants us to start keeping the kids on Friday AMs while he grades papers. We'd take the kids to Nana's and Nandy's after lunch. I told DH, I'm not sure Nana and Nandy will be on board with that. He's talked to Nandy, and he's glad we're here to help, I guess we'll see what happens. I just see my time for sewing shrinking and shrinking.

Time to get started or I won't be ready in time for Church.

Prayers for those in need. I hope everyone has a creative day!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

8. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! I'm sorry about your microwave...I hope you find one you like and get it set up soon. Mine is at the age to go any time too. How did we get by before microwaves and cell phones...lol!
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Joy....Sorry to hear about your microwave. Countertop models are the best for safety. Ours is over the stove and I always worry about dropping something onto the glass cooktop and breaking it and burning ourselves. The good thing about buying one now is that they are priced reasonably.

We worked at the apartments yesterday and got home in the late afternoon. We were in bed early, very early. Jeff is walking Dottie in the woods right now. When they come in we will have have breakfast.

Terry, good luck with your trade-up. I hope they will make you and your DD a great deal.

It was good to hear from Joan. This has been a long and difficult journey for her.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Sunday.....Barb
    Last edited by Bubby; December 3rd, 2017 at 11:45 AM.

11. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Must be the day for it. My car died and I'm out of bread and a lot of other things.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Microwave replacement.....normally they have them on sale during this time of year, and so I really need to get busy before the microwave in my kitchen dies too. That MW has been making groaning noises for about a month, and I keep thinking it will last until the Christmas sales come !

I attended early church this am...DH John slept in, he was up most of the night. I just got back home, I wasn't asked to sub for anyone today. I am not on any committees any more on a regular basis, except for the Altar Guild, and that's only once a month. Normally a couple of times per month I am either asked to sub in the newborn nursery ( which I love to do) or the sub as an usher or as a Sunday school sub. I was kind of surprised that I wasn't asked to sub somewhere this week.....usually around the holidays people are extra busy, or travel and so there's more subbing that is called for. I don't mind, years ago, a lot of people subbed for me, so I am happy to help whenever possible.
    This afternoon I am going to make 3-4 days of meals and freeze them. I normally do this on Saturday, but I was busy yesterday etc, so I need to get the meals done. I think I am going to make :
    1. Meatloaf
    2. Chicken Stir Fry
    3. Shrimp Scampi
    4. Vegetable Beef Soup ( I usually have some kind of soup on hand for lunches etc.)
    5. Spaghetti Sauce. ( I am completely out and I normally freeze 3-4 dinners worth.

I have cooked like this for years. To me, it's much easier that doing one meal each day. Also, in from 1990-2002 I belonged to a group that I set up with a bunch of ladies I knew who were all married and we all had 3 children each. These ladies were women I have known for a long time. and we all worked outside the home, and one day, I got the idea to have everyone could ONE meal per day for all 5 families. That way, we each only had to cook one BIG meal....Everyone had a schedule as to what their day of the week was(we normally didn't change the day of the week) and that person would cook for all 5 families ( that's 24 meals one day per week we normally only cooked for 24 not, 25 because our kids were small and didn't require a full sized meal) once PER WEEK. We all would show up between 3 pm-4:30 pm to pick up the meal for the day......It was great to eat someone else's cooking for a change and best of all not have to cook EVERY DAY.....It was nice because each gal had things that they all liked to make and the meals were awesome!
    By 2002, it dwindled down to 3 people because two of the families moved away. We decided to stop doing it , I don't remember why, but I do miss doing the meals that way occasionally.

It's really nice out here too....I don't know the temp exactly, but it is nice. After I get the meals prep done and over with, I am going to a privately owned grocery store to get some things I forgot the other day. I rarely go to big box stores from Dec 1st to Dec 26th.....( and sometimes I stretch it out to Jan 3rd. I started shopping at this locally owned privately owned grocery store years ago and I do like the owner a lot. He will order things for you etc. So , it's nice to shop there. I find this privately owned store is cheaper on a lot of things than the big box grocery stores for the most part, so when I go to my Dr. appts ( I pass this story coming home from my appts.) I always stop there for things I can't get at other stores.

Have a great Sunday everyone !
    Name:  KeepChrist.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  8.7 KB

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

14. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for you Joy. But happy you have someone who'll help you carry the old out.

Years ago we had a microwave. We were out and when we came home, the first thing I saw was a melted microwave......the boys used it to reheat something and it started arching. They turned it off, unplugged it and there it sat. My DH headed out the next day to buy me a new one. I told him to wait a while. Let me see if I can make do without it. That was 25 years ago, never did get another one, and strangely I don't miss it one bit. I've used various methods for reheating, etc, so I'm happy. I have the added counter space too!

Auntstuff, I hope it's nothing serious with your car and you're able to get it up and running soon! Now a car.....that's really tough to live without!