Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default To Those Of You Who Have Children or Grandchildren who are required to be in CAR SEATS......

I just found this .....
    Please take a look, and if you have children follow these instructions. IF you have grandkids, pass this on :

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...cid=spartandhp

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

2. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, Monique, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: To Those Of You Who Have Children or Grandchildren who are required to be in CAR SEATS......

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: To Those Of You Who Have Children or Grandchildren who are required to be in CAR SEATS......

There is NO way I'm going to get into a cold car in the winter and drive without my coat!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting, said the grandma whose grandchild showed up in shorts, t shirt, and flip flops this morning. I doubt I'll have to worry too much, since their winter wear is still pretty light weight.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My DS told me this when his kids were babies. If I had to transport the little darlings I warmed a quilt in the dryer and tossed it over them after I got them buckled in. They are now 11 & 9 and when we get ready to go somewhere in the winter they still heat a quilt. I don't like feeling bundled up so I never wear a coat. I heat a rice bag and put it in my lap when I get in the car. I am also thankful for heated seats!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Try that when its 10 below 0!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! It is a wonder how any of us lived to be adults. The car seats we used for our kids have been determined to be unsafe and I myself was known to stand in the backseat, looking out the front of the car.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astatoo View Post
    Wow! It is a wonder how any of us lived to be adults. The car seats we used for our kids have been determined to be unsafe and I myself was known to stand in the backseat, looking out the front of the car.
    There are a lot more vehicles which are a lot larger traveling at much higher speeds today, especially in the US. My kids are now 6 & 8 and are past this phase, but I never found it difficult to buckle them in wearing a fleece coat, hats, gloves and putting a blanket over them. It is different in an adult belt because we are mostly restrained at the hip with the lap belt.

Im currently living in a country with one of the highest road fatality rates in the world, im sure much of that has to do with the total disregard for basic safety of belts and car seats.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One of the biggest problems that causes this issue is what many of us call puffy coats. The amount of give these coats have can be huge as in a couple of inches which during a crash can be enough to send the child out of the restraint.

And sadly, the issue isn't just coats but the carseat restraints themselves. The type of carseats that I have a very hard time finding safe are the booster seats that just sit into the car. Thankfully, we have not been in wreck but the times that there have been sudden stops or turns has caused the carseat to shift which put the child into an unsafe position. There has been one wreck that I know of where the child was killed due to a booster seat slipping because during the crash he slipped out of the seatbelt and ended up outside of the car even with the seatbelt still buckled.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Quilting View Post
    One of the biggest problems that causes this issue is what many of us call puffy coats. The amount of give these coats have can be huge as in a couple of inches which during a crash can be enough to send the child out of the restraint.

And sadly, the issue isn't just coats but the carseat restraints themselves. The type of carseats that I have a very hard time finding safe are the booster seats that just sit into the car. Thankfully, we have not been in wreck but the times that there have been sudden stops or turns has caused the carseat to shift which put the child into an unsafe position. There has been one wreck that I know of where the child was killed due to a booster seat slipping because during the crash he slipped out of the seatbelt and ended up outside of the car even with the seatbelt still buckled.
    This is why the recommendation is to use a 5 point harness as long as possible (though there are height and weight limits) ... the Role of a belt positioning booster is simply to guide the seatbelt so it rests at the hips and shoulder, these really should only be used with children with the weight, bone density and maturity of sitting still. My 8 year old has the bone density, but she is petite, so we still have her in a booster. Yes, she belts herself, but I also double check it every single ride. She is so short she might be in a booster until high school ...