Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another use for Parchment paper

Hi all, I don't like making pie crusts, after I get it rolled and try to transfer to plate half of the crust is still on the counter. I use wax paper 12inches wide and it just isn't wide enough to roll the crust for my 10inch pie plates.
    Well, today I went for the wax paper and noticed that the parchment paper was right next to it and 3 inches wider. What the heck--gave the parchment a chance and I'm telling you it was the easiest rolling that I have ever had. It also released so easy I was shocked. Parchment paper for me for sure from now on. I didn't know where to put this because I want everyone to know about it. Happy Turkey Day. We have much to be Thankful for.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another use for Parchment paper

Parchment paper is the best! You can buy them in bulk from supply stores, maybe split it with someone.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dh and I worked at the same place and he would 'Borrow' a stack to bring home. But he is a chef, what am I going to do, turn him in? lol

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks for the tip now-- it is the end of the day and my pies are all done lol! But I make pies year round so will get to try this soon I am sure. And duh that paper is sitting in my cabinet all the time anyway. I feel so dumb. I had been rolling or on two silicone sheets overlapped which worked out ok but sometimes the crust gets pushed between the mats when rolling out. Your way sounds better. Guess you have to tape it to the counter or the paper will roll up around the rolling pin?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I learned many years ago to use a heavy cotton twill like fabric called unbleached drill fabric as a pastry cloth for rolling on. It was 60 inches wide I cut it in half and serged around all sides to prevent fraying. You lay it down and flour it just as you would any rolling surface. When done you shake the excess flour out and fold it up and store it in a ziplock bag. The flour inbeds in the fibers and makes it better rolling each rolling. I wash them every couple years and hate starting fresh LOL . Oh yes you need a marble rolling pin. My Mom gave me one about 35 years ago, It is heavy and solid, plus marble stays cool so dough does not stick to the pin.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

5. Thanks Claire Hallman, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a abox home from the restaurant and it also makes a good cut out for a pattern. I am always amazed that it is okay to put it in the oven on your cookie sheets. Just seems wrong that it wont burn.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great minds Terry, I was just thinking about when the kids were growing up, I used parchment all the time on cookie sheets. I could lay out the paper and have the cookies all dropped or placed on the paper. Just slide the cookie sheet under the paper and put it in the oven. Then slide the paper off and onto the cooling racks and start all over again.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

8. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I read something a Loooong time ago about sprinkling a few drops of water on the counter first then put the wax paper down and it will stay pretty much in place. I did that with the parchment paper and it worked like a charm. My MIL gave me a couple of pastry cloths to use for rolling things on, but I never had much luck with that. The dough just sticks like glue and it made me dislike pie crust making even more. LOL I never did tell her that though, she was trying to be nice. Think I'm going to try making my sugar cookies on the parchment this Christmas, bet that it will work.
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patty J View Post
    I read something a Loooong time ago about sprinkling a few drops of water on the counter first then put the wax paper down and it will stay pretty much in place. I did that with the parchment paper and it worked like a charm. My MIL gave me a couple of pastry cloths to use for rolling things on, but I never had much luck with that. The dough just sticks like glue and it made me dislike pie crust making even more. LOL I never did tell her that though, she was trying to be nice. Think I'm going to try making my sugar cookies on the parchment this Christmas, bet that it will work.
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING
    Did you remember to flour the pastry cloth? That still needs to be done liberally as with any surface for dough. I would roll any other way except pastry cloth and marble rolling pin. But thats me I am weird I guess.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use parchment paper when I cook bacon in the oven. It makes cleanup so much easier.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

LLLinda- Thanks for the tip-I always do bacon in the oven, but hated the cleaning of the jelly roll pan. Going to try that the next time I do bacon.
    IrisGirl--yes, I floured the pastry cloth but it still didn't work for me. I even had this special heavy rolling pin to use, Don't think it was marble. But thanks for reading and for the hint.
    Last edited by Patty J; November 23rd, 2017 at 06:40 PM.