Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got the diagnosis....

and indeed, our daughter does have diverticulitis. She is still very sick. I took her in for a cat scan yesterday that confirmed it and I wasn't sure they would be able to do it because she was so sick and in such bad pain. Last Friday the doctor put her on two strong antibiotics and she had a reaction to one (that I am allergic to) and they stopped it yesterday and gave her another to take.

She has no appetite for anything. The only thing she is able to eat and keep down are bagels and she has one or two of them a day, depending how she is feeling. Thanksgiving should be fun....

The ovarian cyst is still there, but it has been there for years and I don't think that is what is causing all the pain. Unless it's flared up because of this infection. We go back to the doctor in two weeks and I'm hoping she'll be better by then.

Also, she is still off work. She just started this job about six months ago. Luckily, she qualifies thru her work for disability, so she at least has something coming in. Incredibly, her disability is more than she made a month working at the airlines!!

I have things to do and need to try to figure out what I can fix for her tomorrow. Have a good Thanksgiving!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

2. Thanks sewbizzy, SallyO'Sews, songbird857 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Got the diagnosis....

Sorry to hear about your daughter, keeping her in my prayers and hoping for a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Will continue to pray for her. So sorry she has been so sick.
    Name:  thQ2A9SYO1Bless you.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  5.0 KB

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pat, when I have an acute flare up they put me on clear liquids for a week to give the colon a rest and not aggrivate it and after that only soft foods like jello, pudding, scrambled eggs, and then introduce foods slowly. I'm always fearful of a rupture and don't to be re-sectioned. When the bout has fully resolved they tell me to increase my fiber in my everyday diet but not when I have a flare-up. I hope she feels some relief soon.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pat, at least now you have a diagnosis. I hope she feels better soon. And there is nothing like a Momma's love and care to get you better.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Praying that she'll find relief. Mom and her mom both had diverticulitis, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh gosh how awful. I've had it twice. First was bad, bad. The second time I knew what was happening so I got to the dr in a hurry. Does she know what foods set it off? DH has to watch eating too many nuts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy F View Post
    Pat, when I have an acute flare up they put me on clear liquids for a week to give the colon a rest and not aggrivate it and after that only soft foods like jello, pudding, scrambled eggs, and then introduce foods slowly. I'm always fearful of a rupture and don't to be re-sectioned. When the bout has fully resolved they tell me to increase my fiber in my everyday diet but not when I have a flare-up. I hope she feels some relief soon.
    Totally agree! Resectioning is not fun. Soft non-fiber foods are recommended. This link is basically the same advice I got from a nutritionist. Hope it helps ... http://www.diverticulitisdigest.com/...an-attack.html

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judy, USMC View Post
    Totally agree! Resectioning is not fun. Soft non-fiber foods are recommended. This link is basically the same advice I got from a nutritionist. Hope it helps ... http://www.diverticulitisdigest.com/...an-attack.html
    I found another site which said basically the same. She is not going to be happy. Well, she hasn't been the past month.......
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Low-residue foods are what she needs--been there. Mashed potatoes (no cream or butter), thin soup (chicken or turkey is best for me--red meat is more work for the gut), macaroni is okay if she isn't gluten-sensitive, rice, and lots of liquid to dilute everything. It's not fun, but neither is the pain of this. With time, you figure out what works for you--and what doesn't. When you have a flare-up, err on the side of boring. It will pass (the flare-up), though sometimes it seems to take too long. In the hospital, you get complete gut rest--only an IV. I try to be very gentle, so I don't have to go in and do that.

My best wishes.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com