Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions about making a pad for my cat Mason who has claimed a box....and likes to lay in it ....

Just recently I received some products from Amazon Prime. After I took the items out of this box, Mason the cat, hopped right in, and made himself at home ! ( He does this with grocery bags ( loves brown paper sacks ) my canvas grocery bags I made, etc.
    So, I rolled up an old dish towel and placed in at the end of the box so he could lay his head on the towel.....the look of gratitude was priceless! It was almost as if he said " Thanks Mom! ".....so, I got to thinking and want to make him a comfy stuffed "pad" to fit in the box.

I see that Rob Appell of Man Sewing has this awesome pet bed tutorial.....but I didn't want to get that involved. I just want to make a pad for the box, and my questions are :
    1. What type of batting should I use ? I probably will want to through it in the washer a couple of times per month, etc.
    2. Should I quilt the pad ? The dimensions are 13 1/2 x 15 1/2.
    3. Have any of you ever put fabric around a box for something like this and if so, did you put batting in that as well ?( I did think about just putting contact paper over the cardboard box....or just leaving it as it is?? )

I did a search for Pet ( dog & cat ) beds....but thought I would see what some of you might suggest instead?
    ( Anyway.....I thought some of you might also enjoy the tutorials I found and you also might want to try one of the tutorials below.)
    ************************************************** ***************************************
    This tutorial if from Shabby Fabrics ( Jennifer Bosworth )
    ( I think this might be what I will make to put in Mason's "box")
    https://youtu.be/oHoaQbd8j-k

Here's a tutorial from MSQC's Jenny :
    Dog Bed:
    https://youtu.be/amP0tC8d3cc

Here's the tutorial I found from Rob Appell :
    Dog Bed:
    https://youtu.be/V0e3ZN3gfFg

Here's an awesome Cat Bed:
    https://youtu.be/bzPGS2SfanA

Here's another Bed ( for a Dog) I thought was cute :
    https://youtu.be/BzM0zHgOY8I

Crate Bed ( for small dog)....but I might do this for a cat !
    https://youtu.be/-avF6kjn62Y

Well, speaking of cats....Mason has come out into the living room four times now, looking at me, rubbing up against my leg, wanting me to go back, to bed ! So, take care and good night ( or good morning ! )

Name:  thsleep.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  6.9 KB

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Questions about making a pad for my cat Mason who has claimed a box....and likes to lay in it ....

Good morning, funnily enough I made a cat cushion yesterday (Saturday) for a box my cat claimed. I kept all my bits of scraps (the bits you have when straightening fabric etc) and took some Calico and sewed it to make a pillow. I stuffed it with the bits (there were bits of batting in it too) and sewed it up. I made a pillow from some polycotton and put the "cushion" in it. Both are washable and Tibby settled on there to sleep!! This is the second cushion she has. I have also done the same method for DD's cat beds.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Questions about making a pad for my cat Mason who has claimed a box....and likes to lay in it ....

I have pads for dog crates. I do use batting and lightly quilt them but the idea to stuff a pillow is also great. I have a fairly big dog so that would take a lot of scraps.
    Debbie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've made crate mats for the cat shelter. They are basically the size of the crate bottoms although sometimes I make them larger and they fold them over so it's a double layer i.e. even softer. I don't use quilt batting but use a bed blanket cut down which is about the same thickness of the quilt batting. We do that only because it's available free and also it is warmer for the winter and it makes a soft mat. They work well. I do quilt them on my frame. Last batch I did I used Jenny's Pins and Paws tutorial and it turned out adorable. Can't believe it but they also sold some to raise money. https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...ilt-with-jenny

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to all of you. My cat, Earl, loves to get in a box or sit on a new quilt but he won't sit on the same fabric longer than a few days because it gets "yukky" I can al most hear him say "yukky" He only likes NEW Clean stuff, so I just enjoy his joy when a new box arrives or I'm sewing and he claims a corner of the project to keep it from moving along freely. Lucky you all that your cats will continue on to a designated cat pad

6. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My cats lay on what they please when they please. If I made them a bed or set a box up they would not like it. You know with cats it has to be their idea. On top any pile of fabric is good. They do have their own quilt on my hope chest under a window they love. And I have a small mat next to my laptop they lay on. But then again they would lay in those two places even if they were bare. My cats like to nestle under the cover or just under to foot quilts (easier to get out of them.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

8. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've made cat beds using my fmq practice quilt sandwiches and filled the cushion with my trimming scraps. It's ugly as heck, lol, but the cats don't care.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Redcaboose and all other cat lovers,

I have made a "padded" pad for my cats when they visit me in my sewing room. I used a couple layers of 80/20 batting I had leftovers from other projects. One of my cats like to lay there and watch me sew, the others not so much. On the other hand I and many others around her save trimming scraps etc to use as stuffing for dog/cat beds for the animal shelter. I think the scraps as stuffing get lumpy but I'm not a dog or cat laying on them so .... even lumpy is probably better than concreate or wire in the bottom of a crate.

And cats do get finiky and move on to find other places to lay so don't get upset if once you have it made the cats go elsewhere.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have cats, but when I had a dog, he hated cushions or dog beds. But, he loved it when I bought the cheap braided rugs from Walmart. He was a large dog so I would buy four at a time. Lay two side by side and whip stitch them together. Repeat with the other two. Lay one set on top of the other and whip stitch down the sides and once through the middle. These are washable and once they became too yucky, tossed and bought 4 more. It was less than $10 to buy 4 of them. Probably a little more now a days.

You could buy just one and fold it up and put in the box. Or just make a large potholder and put in there. Or buy carpet samples or remnants.

I have tried making pillows using left over scraps or batting. It wadded up when washed. My grandmother used to use old nylon stockings. They seemed to wash up pretty good.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My Siamese seems to like batting. I tossed a scrap piece on top of a laser printer and she's been sleeping on it.