Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Days for Girls

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Days for Girls

Are there any forum members sewing for/familiar with the organization called "Days for Girls"? https://www.daysforgirls.org
    I'm just learning about it and I registered as a sewist.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Days for Girls

This is so strange, I just found out about this organization today. I went to a local craft show & a woman had a booth set up showing what the girls receive. I will be going through my stash for fabric to donate. She also was selling Christmas gift bags to raise money for Days For Girls, so of course I bought a set. A really worthwhile organization.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a great cause. There is so much to read on the site that I bounced around a bit. I have so much girls fabrics and this would be a perfect way to use them up. Now where to send it?

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had read about this a couple of years ago but forgot all about it. Thanks to your posting I am going to do some research. After making hundreds of kids quilts I'm ready for a change, and maybe this is just what I need.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I had a student from Mars Hill college come in and request help for a project like this. I worked with her for a few weeks and donated flannel for her project. In the end, I decided we had a lot of needs right here in the USA and I concentrated my donations to helping those already here with their struggles. It is a nice organization and there are so many people in dire need of all kinds of help. We just have to focus and do what we can . God willing, we will make a difference.

6. Thanks Spring Bird thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lori, there are teams in Pahoa and Honolulu. If you click on the Get Involved tab and look down the list, you'll see Find a Local DfG Group.
    As I find out more, maybe we could start a "virtual team" group here. I wouldn't mind being the point person.
    As a woman and the mother and grandmother of girls, this organization tugs at my heartstrings.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chelea View Post
    Lori, there are teams in Pahoa and Honolulu. If you click on the Get Involved tab and look down the list, you'll see Find a Local DfG Group.
    As I find out more, maybe we could start a "virtual team" group here. I wouldn't mind being the point person.
    As a woman and the mother and grandmother of girls, this organization tugs at my heartstrings.
    Thanks Michele. I was checking out the site as a night owl and needed to go back to sleep. I'll check it out again

Lorie

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea to start a group. I think you would get a great response. Count me in.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    Last year I had a student from Mars Hill college come in and request help for a project like this. I worked with her for a few weeks and donated flannel for her project. In the end, I decided we had a lot of needs right here in the USA and I concentrated my donations to helping those already here with their struggles. It is a nice organization and there are so many people in dire need of all kinds of help. We just have to focus and do what we can . God willing, we will make a difference.
    A few weeks after having my Hysterectomy in 1999, I decided to increase the amount of $$ I spent on the local homeless shelter in town. Around late 1999, I found out that there were a lot of women with children in these shelters here in town ( we have two homeless shelters and an Aware Shelter)
    I usually donate $30 worth of feminine hygiene products to interfaith shelter that houses women & children. I also donate coloring pages ( I print them off my computer ) crayons, mittens & hats....and I am always on the look out for children's winter clothing at garage sales etc. Years ago ( I think this was in 1995 ) I started making each child in the homeless shelter an outfit for Christmas & Easter. I also make tote bags for the kids, making them out of the Jelly Roll Strip tutorial from MSQC.
    I also have contacted the local foster care program in town to find out if they would like to have donations of the bigger TOTE bags for the foster children....many of these kids arrive at their foster homes with their belongings in a garbage bag. ( When I found this out, it broke my heart. It's bad enough to be taken out of your home, but to have to go to a foster home, where you don't know anyone and come thru the front door with all your belongings in a garbage bag? That's so sad.....( I have a friend that does foster care, and she told me a story about a little boy (10 yrs old) that came to her with his belongings stuffed into one of those white kitchen garbage bags, and as he stood there with the caseworker, suddenly his bag burst...and all his worldly treasures spilled out! Poor kid. I have never forgotten this story.)
    So, I do what I can......here in my home town. It isn't that I am against donating overseas, but there's so many organizations that do things like that, and there's an overabundance of homeless and foster children right in my own community. IF I had better health, I would take the necessary steps to become a foster parent.

( for some reason I can't correct something here on this comment. The $30 I donate to the women's shelter for feminine products is something I do each month...sorry, I didn't make that clear in the comment above.)
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; November 19th, 2017 at 08:41 PM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Aww Redcaboose!! You truly give back to your community, that is so wonderful. I agree with you there are so many needy children and families in our own home towns. Think of all the little children you have brought joy to.