Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday

Good morning all. It's been a busy one for us so. far. Brought my car in for it's inspection and some new tires before the winter sets in. Then we came back and got 4 bags of clothes and 2 boxes of books packed up for a pickup from Tuesday's Children on Monday morning. The house feels lighter already.

Now I am going to get ready to head into the city to go to the Downton Abbey Exhibit .with my sis. We are very excited to see what that's all about. DH will pick up my car when it's done and then he is going to head into Brooklyn to visit with his aunt who went back into the hospital on Thursday. They are not sure what's happening. She thought she might be having another heart attack but they are not sure about that. They ran some tests and saw a small blockage in her carotid artery but they don't think that caused her issues on Thursday. They are going to decide whether to treat with meds or go in to clear the blockage on Monday. Which, of course, is driving her nuts having to wait in the hospital for "the team" to decide which course of action they will recommend. If you could say a couple prayers that all goes well for her whichever direction they choose to go that would be appreciated.

What is everyone else planning for this weekend before Thanksgiving? I work on Monday and it will a very busy day. Then I am off for the rest of the week! It will be like a vacation--but not. LOL Thanksgiving prep is a lot of work but it is something I look forward to every year. I love preparing the meal and having family all around the table. And we have also started our Christmas shopping. Got quite a few things gotten and then I did some searching online last night for a few more things.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Saturday

Good morning ~ It's a nippy 31 deg. with light frost this morning. It's supposed to be much cooler today -- maybe only in the 40's.

I did some groc. shopping yest. & noticed how busy the store already was. Of course, Fridays routinely are more busy anyway. I don't cook anything special for Thanksgiving any more. It's just the 2 of us. Due to all his food allergies, DH cannot eat anything but his usual fare. Our church has a potluck every year for those who don't have family in the area or want to share the dinner with others. Usually 75-100 people come. A couple couples always roast the turkeys, fix the potatoes, gravy, stuffing, etc. & everyone else brings side dishes, salads, & desserts. It's always a good feast. I'll go by myself for a couple hrs. I usually take my 5 Cup Salad; some people call it Ambrosia.

Yest. I sewed together the 5 blocks of my Christmas table runner. I'm still deciding on backing -- checking my stash to see what colors will coordinate & if I have enough of it. I'm debating on a narrow border.

Our senior fellowship at church yest. was good. There were maybe 35 of us. I took my friend from the assisted living place. She has challenges with macular degen. & is blind in her L. eye. She needs oxygen, so I helped in/out of the car with the O2 tank, etc. Our speaker was a 60 y.o. lady who attends our church who was injured 26 yrs. ago in a shooting accident. She has a spinal cord injury & is paralyzed from mid-chest down. She is wheel chair bound. My, what challenges she's been through & continues to face. She has a beautiful smile. What a story she has & a testimony of how the Lord has helped her through her circumstances.

Today I'm scheduled for a massage at 11:30. I hope to do more sewing this afternoon.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! The winds are whipping through bringing some winter weather our way across the plains. Hope we don't see any white stuff coming with it! Bye bye beautiful leaves!

Ginny, I saw information about that Downton Abbey display and it sounded so interesting. Two of my costume buddies and I went to Asheville, NC several years ago to see a Downton Abbey costume collection displayed in the Biltmore Mansion! It was so interesting! Since the Biltmore was built and occupied in its heyday at the same time the Downton Abbey stories were set, they paired up beautifully, you could just imagine Maggie Smith walking down those halls!

I have a quilt loaded on my longarm, want to get it finished, but I can find more excuses not to work on it! Got to get it done!

I'm not cooking this Thanksgiving. I'm going to Atlanta to join my daughter and her husband for dinner. He is an excellent cook, and won't let anyone help, hey, go right ahead! It's fine with me! My daughter got real serious about sewing and quilting this past summer and stepped up from a $200 Singer to a VERY PRICEY Bernina. I really want to play on it! I'm bringing several projects with me to use it with. I hope to see Cindy-Seaturtle while I there, she lives just a couple of miles from my daughter's house!

Hope you all have great holidays! Stay warm, stay healthy, and don't count calories!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We've been running and running this morning. Stopped at Walmart to pick up a new tea pitcher for DH. The old one just won't come clean. Picked up grays and black for the attic windows, and ornaments and spray paint for some presents for the kiddos to make for Nana and Nandy, Grammy and Daedo, and Mommy and Daddy. We're going to try that swirl paint on the ornaments and hang them in a frame for the door. We'll see how that turns out.

We stopped at Hardee's for lunch and the oldest called. He needed to make a Lowe's run, two kitchen cabinets, some 2x4s and a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. He's going to put the cabinets back to back against the wall and lay the plywood on top. Basically making a huge desk. Both of DIL's sewing machines will fit in the cabinet on one side, Jim's printers and stuff will fit in the cabinet on the opposite cabinet. I don't think he'll use all of the 8' length, but DIL is going to have a great work space for cutting. I told him, he really needs to invest in a good cutting mat set for her. We'll see if he listens or cheaps out.

We're finally home, and I really need to start putting the binding on those little Christmas flannels. I just couldn't get motivated yesterday. Now, I'm enjoying the Cookie Championship on the food network. Maybe after the sun goes down.

I hope everyone that's been puny this week is feeling better. Prayers for those in need

DS#2 starts his job at Toys R Us tomorrow. I hope this will lead to something permanent. He's been such a blessing to us over the years, taking care of mom while I worked, helping with all of the moving. It's time for him to take care of himself, and not worry so much about us. lol, this is the same kid that at 4 years old told me that he was never moving out because he would always be there to take care of me. I'm ready for him to find someone special for him to spend his life with. I know there's someone out there.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not doing much. I am making some aprons I plan to send in the mail to some friends that live in other states (I have some made for friends / family that live here too)
    I am trying to find something different to make. (to sew)

Will keep your DH's aunt in my prayers in my prayers......

Name:  Plenticorn T-day.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  8.9 KB

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Busy day for me, just finally getting to check in. Sounds like everyone is busy too.

Spent the morning with hubby running errands and visiting MIL. We decided to treat ourselves to lunch and ended up having all 3 daughters, two boyfriends and the the two grands! We had a wonderful lunch, sometimes the best times are impromptu like that!

I was able to finish up my DGD's apron before we started on errands. I'm making aprons for both grandkids for their annual cookie baking day with my sis. I contemplating making an apron for my sis as a surprise.

Tonight we have a party to attend. DH's coworker is having it. Hopefully we don't stay too long.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Katrina ~ Have you ever used Bar Keeper's Friend scouring powder to remove tea (or other) stains? My plumber recommended it for my stainless steel sink. But I've used it on my coffee cups to remove stains. It works great on copper bottomed kettles. I wear disp. gloves when I use it. It's pretty powerful stuff.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    Katrina ~ Have you ever used Bar Keeper's Friend scouring powder to remove tea (or other) stains? My plumber recommended it for my stainless steel sink. But I've used it on my coffee cups to remove stains. It works great on copper bottomed kettles. I wear disp. gloves when I use it. It's pretty powerful stuff.

All of our apartments have stainless steel sinks that are rarely taken care of properly. When I do the deep cleaning between tenants, I swear by Barkeepers Friend. Also when vinyl floors get rust stains from chair legs, it takes that right off. It can be used for a wide range of jobs. I get it at WalMart for $2 per can.
    Last edited by Bubby; November 18th, 2017 at 07:03 PM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    All of our apartments have stainless steel sinks that are rarely taken care of properly. When I do the deep cleaning between tenants, I swear by Barkeepers Friend. Also when vinyl floors get rust stains from chair legs, it takes that right off. It can be used for a wide range of jobs. I get it at WalMart for $2 per can.
    So its better then kitchen cleanser?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to use on glass or ceramic is denture cleaning tablets. I use that in the coffee carafe and coffee cups occasionally.