Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Hybrid View

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Making variable star blocks and having issues, any input would help!

Hi everyone! Iím working on an amazing quilt pattern that uses a variable star and Iím having some size issues and donít know what to do. The stars are made up of squares and flying geese for the star points. I followed the pattern very carefully, yet my flying geese units are just a tad smaller than the center square. Some of the stars are exactly right, and some are just a tad too small. The whole quilt is made up of 9 blocks, with each block having 5 stars. The outside of each block has a border of half square triangles, and the sashing is like a piano key border, strips sewn together into a block then sub-cut into smaller strips for the sashing. Taking all of that into consideration, trimming the center blocks down seem to be out of the question as it would make putting everything else together tricky. Iím not of fan remaking them, only because I donít know if I have enough fabric to, but that looks like my only viable option. The flying geese units are made 4 at a time, so I donít think removing the seam and resewing it would be possible. If anyone has any idea on how to fix these, I would be very very appreciative! Since I havenít been quilting too terribly long, I donít know what my options are. If ripping the seam and sewing again is the best idea, Iím willing to do that. If sewing new blocks is the best idea, Iím willing to do that. I just donít know how to fix this... please help...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Making variable star blocks and having issues, any input would help!

It sounds like you ay be using a more than 1/4" seam which makes the blocks smaller. You might could reseam with a scant quarter inch and resize your blocks.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Making variable star blocks and having issues, any input would help!

I'm probably won't be much help but I have the same problem. Seems I can't get my flying geese right and snowballing corners. Advise is sew 1 thread away from your line. If I sew on the line it's one line short to meet with the middle. If i sew 1 line away it doesn't line up. I read where thread weight is a factor. It just seems to be getting worse for me. Hope someone out there has the answer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I make flying geese or snowball corners of blocks, I sew one needle width away from the fold line, not ON the line. It gives adequate space for folding over & pressing. Since watching some of Donna Jordan's tutorials, I now press the seam & corners BEFORE trimming the back triangle off. It also helps to square each flying geese unit to make sure they are consistently the same size. A consistent scant 1/4" seam helps. Squaring up as you go along helps things turn out better.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for responding! I think you all may be right that it’s a seam problem. I think I’m going to rip the seam out of one of them and try again with a scant quarter inch. Hopefully that will fix everything! If it doesn’t work I seriously may just start over on making the geese. Lol. If that happens, I’ll follow all of the advice you’ve offered! Thanks again! I’ll let you all know how everything goes!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SewBlueMillie View Post
    Thank you guys for responding! I think you all may be right that itís a seam problem. I think Iím going to rip the seam out of one of them and try again with a scant quarter inch. Hopefully that will fix everything! If it doesnít work I seriously may just start over on making the geese. Lol. If that happens, Iíll follow all of the advice youíve offered! Thanks again! Iíll let you all know how everything goes!
    It might be too late but I would restitch first then rip out the too wide seam. This is all on the bias and it might stretch less that way.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto to Joy's advice on sewing just off the sewing line. Myself, I don't mind squaring up each block to keep things true.

Now to your immediate problem that your geese are smaller than the square, consider trimming the squares down to match the geese. You will have to trim all the squares to the same size and it shouldn't compromise the look of the block.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully, restitching will fix those geese.

What method are you using to make them? If you have to re-do them, I like to make them oversized and then trim down. I use Eleanor's Burn method and the FG geese ruler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WElW8sqkuw

Hope that helps!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea Claire. Wish I had thought of resewing a seam this way a couple of quilts ago. Sometimes i get tunnel vision.. like oh no gotta resew, so rip - rip - rip and then a sewing fight to keep from stretching on bias sides.