Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another t-shirt question again lol

Quote Originally Posted by chelea View Post
    Has anyone used Pellon® EK130 Easy-Knit® Fusible Interfacing for T-shirt quilts? It has both a lengthwise grain and a crosswise grain so is supposed to be more flexible.
    I've heard of it but it's a see thru with little holes see thru needs both a stabilizer and backing thanks for your input
    Hawaiigrammi

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
    I've done several t shirt quilts but none of that fabric yet. I personally think the woven interfacing will work. Choose interfacing based on color of shirt, keeping in mind also what color batting will be under it when you need to quilt it. They are not my favorite quilt to make, but it typically is good for business. I am amazed how I have folks asking me to do their quilts as soon as they learn I have a LA. I have hesitated to place business cards anywhere because I want time to do my own stuff once in a while.
    Boy you hit the nail on the head I've had not a moment to do my stuff at all kinda sucks!!!
    Hawaiigrammi

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Looking on u-tube Segovia Quilts had a detailed step by step how to work with a jersey fabric. She saved me I've learned a lot from her regarding t-shirt quilts FYI if anyone needs help she's great.
    Hawaiigrammi

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone used Pellon® EK130 Easy-Knit® Fusible Interfacing for T-shirt quilts? It has both a lengthwise grain and a crosswise grain so is supposed to be more flexible.
    I have used EK130 based on a recommendation from an employee at Joann's. It really worked out well. I am making another tshirt quilt right now and am using it. I would recommend it.

5. Thanks chelea thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Devchdm View Post
    I have used EK130 based on a recommendation from an employee at Joann's. It really worked out well. I am making another tshirt quilt right now and am using it. I would recommend it.
    thanks for the info...Laura at Sew Very Easy said she was using a fusible called Floriani which is good to use for fabric that stretches and that sent me on a search for a stabilizer for a t-shirt quilt I'm planning. Laura has a good tutorial for t-shirt quilts. After reading the comments here, it might be my first and last!
    Michele

To the world you may be one person. But to one person you may be the world.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I found in Utube Segovia Quilts how to do the jerseys on a tshirts Quilts thanks for all your help. A lot of amazing information I’m gong to use. Mahalo
    Hawaiigrammi

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info...Laura at Sew Very Easy said she was using a fusible called Floriani which is good to use for fabric that stretches and that sent me on a search for a stabilizer for a t-shirt quilt I'm planning. Laura has a good tutorial for t-shirt quilts. After reading the comments here, it might be my first and last!
    I’m gonna try that see if I like it. Mahalo
    Hawaiigrammi

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some video tutorials on how to make Jersey T-shirt quilts :
    These are videos from Erica Selman:
    Erica Selman : How To Cut Your Jersey Squares
    1.https://youtu.be/o9zaMzJuzrg
    2.How much fabric do you need for a Jersey Quilt:
    https://youtu.be/CuWZw9iUmjk
    Erica Selman : How to press seams for a Jersey Quilt
    3.https://youtu.be/ztjU4mUUxwQ
    Erica Selman: Make A Quilt Lay It Out :
    https://youtu.be/sFXbuL0m61E

Here's another gal with videos on how to make Sport Jersey Quilts :
    Tea Quilts
    1.Quilt With Me : Basketball Jersey Quilt Part 1
    https://youtu.be/pZ23wnE2flw
    2.Quilt With Me: Basketball Jersey Quilt Part 2
    https://youtu.be/CWVZ7ftBRgg

Also this is a comment I found online about what to use for stabilizer(s):

Floriani makes a wonderful stabilizer for knits and soft fabrics called "No Show Mesh". Available in white, black and cream, this is a really nice stabilizer. Available in fusible and non fusible, I use this to back every t shirt I embroider. I fuse it to the back, making sure I have enough to fill the hoop, not just behind the design, then float another piece of the No Show Mesh Non-fusible. But for your application, you would fuse the entire "quilt square". I made two t-shirt quilts, one with the no show mesh and one with another produce and there was such a difference. The no show mesh gave body, but not stiff or bulky. The fabric was still soft but it was so much easier to work with. The edges did not roll while I sewed and it behaved itself. The long arm quilter commented how nice it was to quilt. She was not as happy with the other product. The reason I had two different products is that I use the other product first, put that top away (UFO) and when I made the second top, I discovered the no show mesh. Sent both quilts out at the same time to be quilted. The no show mesh has a silicone based adhesive that does not get hard, stiff, or gummy when applied. Will not "drag" your needle or cause that sticky mess on the needle that makes you have to stop and clean your needle with alcohol.

I hope these videos / comment helps.....I think the reason why you might not have found info online was just the way the search for doing these quilts was possibly worded.
    Have fun...I am going to try this soon as well !
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; November 18th, 2017 at 07:32 AM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

10. Thanks AlohaSandy thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I've made many t-shirt quilts with pro sports jerseys in them, and the woven interfacing works great.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I had to add a few football jerseys with the holes, so I used SF101. It did show as white dots on the red jersey, and of course the white jersey looked all white. When the kids wear these jerseys on the field they tend to wear them over a solid color tee shirt anyway, so the red over white was about the same as when he was on the field.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Juarez Quilt snip.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	147842