Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the best class (online or otherwise) to learn FMQ on my sewing machine

I've been looking at Craftsy classes offered, but not sure of who has the best class for a beginner. I've done LAQ on a machine at my LQS, but would love to do some of the smaller ones at home. I've played with it a little, and just have trouble getting my speed between my hands and the machine in sync. I mostly do meandering or use the pantogram on the LA, but want to learn how to do custom designs. So, if you've ever been in my shoes and found something that was really helpful, please share! Thank you.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's the best class (online or otherwise) to learn FMQ on my sewing machine

Hi, I know how you feel. I love Leah Day's free motion videos. I think I have all of them in fact. She is really good and very easy to understand and follow. Good luck in your search. I think Crafty has there classes on sale right now for 19.99. Good luck

0 Thanks

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's the best class (online or otherwise) to learn FMQ on my sewing machine

I've taken several free motion classes on Craftsy, and I am very fond of both Christine Camelli and Angela Walters' various classes. Christine's should be taken in order and you have a bit more of an organic feel to her designs as does Lori Kennedy also very good. Angela Walter's classes are excellent, but they presume you know a little bit already. What I suggest for you to start with is free! I know On YouTube Leah Day has a series called Free Motion Quilt Along. It goes along with her blog and her own paid classes. She helps you start from the beginning. She's a great teacher for beginners and will definitely help you overcome any issues you are having. She also has many other free videos on various fmq issues and demonstrations of various stitches she has designed that you can make. Lori Kennedy also has a really great blog called The Inbox Jaunt. There are many many fmq tutorials there with the cutest designs! She is so creative. I hope this helps.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken many Craftsy classes and with just a couple exceptions I've loved them all. When I started taking those classes I already had some of the basics down - layering and basting the quilts, thread, needles etc and the basics of getting started. I wanted to know more free motion designs besides just basic meandering. My favorites have been by Christina Camelli, Angela Walters and Lori Kennedy. I'd recommend looking at the class previews and reading the class descriptions/lessons. Lori Kennedy has a blog, the InBoxJaunt that I follow and has great motifs with detailed instructions of how to complete them. I'm not sure if the sale is still going on but all the classes were on sale for $19.99. If the sale is over you can generally go to any of the instructors blogs and get a link for a discount. I always check that. I love the craftsy format since you can always go back to the class and watch it over and over if you need to. Good luck.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    I've taken several free motion classes on Craftsy, and I am very fond of both Christine Camelli and Angela Walters' various classes. Christine's should be taken in order and you have a bit more of an organic feel to her designs as does Lori Kennedy also very good. Angela Walter's classes are excellent, but they presume you know a little bit already. What I suggest for you to start with is free! I know On YouTube Leah Day has a series called Free Motion Quilt Along. It goes along with her blog and her own paid classes. She helps you start from the beginning. She's a great teacher for beginners and will definitely help you overcome any issues you are having. She also has many other free videos on various fmq issues and demonstrations of various stitches she has designed that you can make. Lori Kennedy also has a really great blog called The Inbox Jaunt. There are many many fmq tutorials there with the cutest designs! She is so creative. I hope this helps.
    I think we were typing at the same time

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Leah day is a great teacher, easy to understand and explain in detail what can go wrong and what to do about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp2D0ebcjA0

And youtube is always good.

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

7. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all the suggestions above. Just wanted to add in Ann Petersen. You might want to take her class Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine.

Also, to help with the doodling, get a dry erase board and markers and practice doodling while watching TV. You can also get thin plexiglass at Lowe's or Home Depot. I bought a piece of plexiglass 18" X 24" that is 1/8" thick. I put masking tape around the edges and wrote TOP on the top edge so I make sure I always have that side up so stray marks won't transfer to my quilt top. It's great to place the plexiglass down on the quilt top and practice different designs before actually quilting.
    Vonnie

9. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are plenty of free tutorials on YouTube. I'd also recommend Patsy Thompson's beginners videos. There are numerous books out there, too, that have a lot of helpful info. You also can Google the topic & see what pops up. When I first learned, I took an all-day class with an instructor at a LQS; we had in-person instruction which was very helpful. I took one other 4 hr. class from the same teacher. The rest I learned from books, tutorials, & a LOT of practice. I'm no where as good as I hope to one day be. I don't plan to quilt for others or enter contests. You might also view Jamie Wallen's tutorials. Also Tracy Russell's videos on YT at whirls and swirls, APQS Ontario. I use a lot of Angela Walters' FMQ designs. I have 3 of her books & took a class from her when she was here in July. Just remember, it takes time & a lot of practice. Don't get discouraged.

11. Thanks giig21 thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks for all the great information. I can't wait to get home and look at some tonight! It really helps to hear from those of you who have "been there and done that!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've never afforded a class. I've watched videos. I have a low attention span for watching...I'm a jump in and try it person. There is no substitute for practice.

14. Thanks giig21 thanked for this post