Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's the best class (online or otherwise) to learn FMQ on my sewing machine

All of the above suggestions are exactly who I love to learn from as well. If you ever decide you want to do some walking foot quilting that is very creative, I highly recommend Jackie Gehring. I’ve learned a great deal from her as well. As always, never pay full price for a class, join their mailing list for deals and if you do FB, join them there. I once got a free class from them!
    Life ainít always beautiful
    But itís a beautiful ride - Gary Allen

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's the best class (online or otherwise) to learn FMQ on my sewing machine

Great ideas here, I have watched Leah Day on you tube and that leaves me more money for fabric and thread. I love the idea about plexiglass to audition the design. I try to doodle a little bit each day just to practice.

Enjoy your journey with FMQ

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Also Amy Johnson and Patsy Thompson on Youtube.

Leah Day has great info and advice. Personally I don't like most of her FMQ designs -- they are quite different in style compared to others. But a great teacher with good basic info.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Craftsy class "Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine" was such a help for me when I started FMQ. One of my very first projects was a queen sized quilt for my son and DIL. I also took a 4 hour class at quilt shop. If you are close to one, I think that's a great way to get started because of the instant feedback and hands on help.

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

Leah Day's videos are very good. Amy Johnson has excellent YouTube videos (links are on her site) on beginning FMQw as well, and I think Patsy Thom!pson's free YouTube beginning FMQ classes are excellent - again links are on her website. I used all 3 sources to learn FMQ, and was doing very well. Keep in mind, you have to be patient with yourself. This is a foot-eye-hand-ear coordinated action, and it takes awhile to get it. So do not be discouraged with your learning curve. When it comes together, you will be very pleased. I really tell students that you need at least 8 weeks of practice every day, even if some days are just 15 minutes, to get the coordination and muscle memory. Think of it as a sport conditioning - your body has to learn this and it improves rapidly after the first month of daily practice. Make a lot of quilt sandwiches up and have fun. Remember that you didn't learn cursive writing in a day, and this won't be a one day thing either.

I agree that starting doodling is very very important. Jamie Wallen told us in a class that research shows 1 hour of quilting with paper and pencil is worth more than 5 hours of practice with fabric and machine. It gives you the motion and teaches your eye and gross motor movement how to move together.

I thought after the first month of practice that I would never get this. By the end of the 2nd month, I felt comfortable tackling a lap quilt that I was gifting, and within 3 months felt comfortable quilting every quilt. Then I started taking Craftsy and iQuilt (AQS) classes to take my quilting designs up a notch. They were well worth it at that point.
    Last edited by Julie A; November 15th, 2017 at 11:13 AM.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I've watched the Crafty Gemini tutorials on YouTube. She's really good at explaining the whys and hows.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Julie A View Post
    This is a foot-eye-hand-ear coordinated action, and it takes awhile to get it.
    The ear coordinated part really jumped out at me. I had a teacher mention that in a FMQ class once and I am very aware of the sound of my machine when I'm in that sweet spot for FMQ.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Once you watch a video, you may have to reference it and others many times. The best way to learn FMQ is practice, practice, practice!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A suggestion.......look up the Craftsy teachers on youtube. That will give you an idea of how they teach.....if you like their style....their voice....etc...

All of the ladies mentioned are excellent teachers. I also 2nd the vote for Jacquie Gering's class if you want to learn more using the walking foot. Her classes are awesome.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?