Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default inexpensive machine recommendations for 12 yr old

GD is asking for a machine for Christmas. I think new would be appropriate since no one at their house sews or has an interest and would not help her with problems and I live 200 miles away.
    DS says he will get her something if that's what she wants. I think $200 is his maximum limit that he would be WILLING to spend. Got any ideas. ?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: inexpensive machine recommendations for 12 yr old

This brother cs6000i gets mentioned a lot. It often goes for a little less sometimes. I had one for a for the house years ago. The cost is around $150.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Featu...de+table&psc=1
    Diana Grey

3. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen the cs6000i on sale for $127 and now with Christmas coming up I think you'll find that more and more for a while.

Since she doesn't have sewers at home I think she would find the cs6000i tutorials on utube very helpful. They were clear, very well done and there were quite a few to cover all types of questions a person might have.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

5. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the blue Hello Kitty Janome ( about $125). For my Grandkids, and they were younger than 12. It also is a pretty heavy duty machine that goes through many layers . Has a teeny learning curve, pull about an 8" thread tail and put it under the presser foot when you start, or it unthreads itself. I used a similar machine as a travel machine and made a bolster cover for my sister using cording and heavy upholstery fabric and never broke one needle! I bought 2 toy sewing machines and they sewed less than 12" and never stitched again.

The other idea is to pick up a vintage machine, clean it up and let her have at it. Good luck with deciding! Glad she is interested in learning!

7. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jean is right... the Hello Kitty is a wonderful beginner machine and i can't say enough about Janome!!! Check out Walmart on line.. (I know,,, i'm like a broken record),, BUT I know i had seen a Janome in the Hello Kitty style for 50.00!!!!!!!!!! Will check out and post if i find it) GB

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Janome-Ba...chine/51211977

Found it.. I know this was cheaper a few months back,,, but it is the Holiday's...LOL
    Again,,, i trust Janome and Walmart is wonderful about returns if not satisfied... and NO COMPUTER stuff for expensive repairs..
    Last edited by GrammaBabs; November 13th, 2017 at 02:56 PM.
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

9. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry....the Brother cs6000i does get mentioned a lot....and Amazon has a great price ( $153) ....but in my personal opinion if I were to spend up to $200.00 for a sewing machine for a 12 yr old girl. I would find out if there's a shop near by that has machines ( new) I would spend the $$ with a shop that will also give her classes with her machine. Most shops will give free classes with a sewing machine ( or serger) if you purchase it there, whereas with Amazon, Wal-Mart, Sears etc. there's no classes etc. I have seen in two local privately owned shops where I live they have Baby Lock ( can't remember the model name) around $150.00
    Also, the Jo-Ann fabrics that is near me has a sewing machine shop INSIDE the store, and they offer beginner classes for the machines they sell ( a friend of mine purchased a machine at the Jo-Ann Fabrics here in town and she got 2-3 classes to learn how to run the new machine and was told that she could come back and re-take all or part of the classes as many times as she needed to.
    it's the same way with the shop that I purchased my Viking /Husqvarna Designer SE and the Viking /Husqvarna Serger 936 I have. I took the serger classes a couple of times....and I can take them forever.

Jo-Ann's has Janome machines as well as Singer. When your GD wants to trade up....she can do that at Jo-Ann's. In fact just recently I was looking at a machine and was told that I would be given a $4000.00 ( that's right 4K) for my machine....BUT if I didn't want to trade in my Husqvarna Designer SE I could just bring in a cheap ( she even told me I could purchase $100 machine to get the 4K rebate to purchase the machine I was looing at )

So, I would recommend buying at a shop......Jo-Ann's has some reasonably priced machines for a beginner and you get the classes too.....
    This is what I would do....this way, the parents know that the 12 yr old is getting the proper instruction etc.....

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better."

Maya Angelou

11. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Look at Walmart, they have good starter machines.

13. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

When I was showing a young girl how to use her sewing machine the bobbin was hard to get in and out and she would get frustrated. I can't give advise about which machine is best but my advise is to check how easy or awkward it is to work the machine.

15. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just a word from personal experience with others buying a *cheap* machine from walmart. The machines walmart sells are made for walmart so they can sell them cheap. They are inferiorly made. Everyone I know that has gotten one has been frustrated to the point of giving up. Buy a better machine that she can grow into and both will be happier. I learned to sew at age 5 on my Mom's kenmore. It was a work horse and only went forward an backward.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

17. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
    Terry....the Brother cs6000i does get mentioned a lot....and Amazon has a great price ( $153) ....but in my personal opinion if I were to spend up to $200.00 for a sewing machine for a 12 yr old girl. I would find out if there's a shop near by that has machines ( new) I would spend the $$ with a shop that will also give her classes with her machine. Most shops will give free classes with a sewing machine ( or serger) if you purchase it there, whereas with Amazon, Wal-Mart, Sears etc. there's no classes etc. I have seen in two local privately owned shops where I live they have Baby Lock ( can't remember the model name) around $150.00
    Also, the Jo-Ann fabrics that is near me has a sewing machine shop INSIDE the store, and they offer beginner classes for the machines they sell ( a friend of mine purchased a machine at the Jo-Ann Fabrics here in town and she got 2-3 classes to learn how to run the new machine and was told that she could come back and re-take all or part of the classes as many times as she needed to.
    it's the same way with the shop that I purchased my Viking /Husqvarna Designer SE and the Viking /Husqvarna Serger 936 I have. I took the serger classes a couple of times....and I can take them forever.

Jo-Ann's has Janome machines as well as Singer. When your GD wants to trade up....she can do that at Jo-Ann's. In fact just recently I was looking at a machine and was told that I would be given a $4000.00 ( that's right 4K) for my machine....BUT if I didn't want to trade in my Husqvarna Designer SE I could just bring in a cheap ( she even told me I could purchase $100 machine to get the 4K rebate to purchase the machine I was looing at )

So, I would recommend buying at a shop......Jo-Ann's has some reasonably priced machines for a beginner and you get the classes too.....
    This is what I would do....this way, the parents know that the 12 yr old is getting the proper instruction etc.....
    I agree with this. I just looked at the CS600i on Amazon (149.99) and that throat space looks pretty small. If she is going to start quilting that lack of space might get frustrating fast. A quilt shop might have something in the price range suited for a beginner.

19. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post