Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: inexpensive machine recommendations for 12 yr old

[QUOTE=Iris Girl;992779]Just a word from personal experience with others buying a *cheap* machine from walmart. The machines walmart sells are made for walmart so they can sell them cheap. They are inferiorly made. Everyone I know that has gotten one has been frustrated to the point of giving up. Buy a better machine that she can grow into and both will be happier. I learned to sew at age 5 on my Mom's kenmore. It was a work horse and only went forward an backward.[/QU

Not true. same machine
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

2. Thanks grammaterry, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pandabear View Post
    I agree with this. I just looked at the CS600i on Amazon (149.99) and that throat space looks pretty small. If she is going to start quilting that lack of space might get frustrating fast. A quilt shop might have something in the price range suited for a beginner.
    Pandabear.....
    Ask Carlie Wolf(she's a forum member here at MSQC).....she just got herself one of these machines (Brother cs600i )........
    Like I said in my comment I think the best bet ( especially if the little girl's is willing to spend up to $200.00 I would either purchase something at Jo-Ann's ( inside store where they sell sewing machines ) or at a locally owner sewing /quilt shop.
    Even if a used machine was purchased at the local quilt shop there would still be a certain amount of classes offered I'm sure.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better."

Maya Angelou

4. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So I was looking on ebay and someone has purchased a carload of liquidated new in box Husqvarna Viking Emeralds for $244 including shipping. That was a pretty good machine. DD #2 has one that she has had for 8 or 9 years and still uses it eventhough she mostly uses her Topaz. Since I have a Viking, I would probably be able to help her on the phone with questions. Any thoughts about buying something like this from Ebay?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pandabear, I agree that the throat space is not large. Fine for the quilt piecing and clothes pattern sewing I do but if I wanted to FMQ a quilt it's not what I'd choose. I have my Blockrockit for that with a Grace frame. Truth be known it wasn't just throat space that would have been troublesome but I just can't get comfortable moving the fabric as opposed to a machine in the quilting process so for me, in reality the throat space could have been two blocks long and it wouldn't have matter when it comes to the dexterity I'd have needed LOL

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

7. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy from eBay with these caveats: do they allow returns .. can you use a credit card or PayPal to help you thru any disputes .. are they an established seller with a good track record. I’ve bought a used machine and used PayPal. As soon as the machine hit my doorstep, I opened it up and tried it out. Your best bet for getting your money back is if you start the process early. My experience was excellent. Machine came exactly as described and worked perfectly.

Whatever machine you purchase for her, I would take it out and try out some of the stitches. Maybe even photocopy the manual or see if there’s a free download for you to keep. This way you can guide her over the phone while you have the same manual in front of you.

What an awesome gift for her!
    Life ain’t always beautiful
    But it’s a beautiful ride - Gary Allen

9. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    So I was looking on ebay and someone has purchased a carload of liquidated new in box Husqvarna Viking Emeralds for $244 including shipping. That was a pretty good machine. DD #2 has one that she has had for 8 or 9 years and still uses it eventhough she mostly uses her Topaz. Since I have a Viking, I would probably be able to help her on the phone with questions. Any thoughts about buying something like this from Ebay?
    This sounds like a good deal. And being something you have worked with will be able to help over the phone. Much better then buying a cheap machine from walmart that will frustrate her. I say go for it!
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

11. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

IT sounds like I have misled everyone. I am not going to buy her a machine. She asked her dad for one. He has the price issues and I am just trying to guide him. He isn't certain that she will make use of the machine, and as 12 yr olds go, she might not. He can afford it, but since it isn't his idea, he is being a little hesitant. He is a single fellow with full custody of the children and trying to be dad and mom, but he thinks star wars and cars and electronics are the things kids want. Hard to be a girl at his house!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If she does keep the interest try to encourage her to join 4-H. She should find a lot of support and will learn a lot as she moves thru the available projects. even if she doesn;t choose to join a club consider buying her beginner project books. They are a wealth of information, you should be able to get them thru you local Extension agent or go onto the 4-H source book website.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

14. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post