Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yikes.....I have Shingles!!!!

Ten days ago after a craft show I had a horrible backache...I assumed I pulled a muscle...it started to get severe under my right shoulder blade...would get worse at night and then more "severe"...nothing seemed to help
    I have had 4 children and 2 hip replacements but this was the worse pain I have ever had...
    ...then the itches started about 5 days later and a rash started to develop from my back around and under my arm to my front...all on the right side....
    I feared that it was Shingles and it is...I saw the doctor yesterday...he himself had never seen anyone develop Shingles after having the vaccine, but his assistant had...my dh and I both had the Shingles vaccine about 3 years ago...they said I may not have it as severe because I had the vaccine...
    I am interested in hearing about any of you or someone you know or have known that has had it...I appreciate any input you have...thanks for taking the time to read my post...
    Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Yikes.....I have Shingles!!!!

I never had the vaccine, but I've had shingles, wait for it....3 times (yes three). The first time I was only about 13 years old. And I agree, the level of pain I felt then, I have never felt since, and the itching {{{{{AAARRRGGHH}}}, it'll drive you mad.

Fortunetly, maybe because I was so young my case was not considered severe, the rash site was on my back at the waist line and only got about as big around as my hand. Couldn't wear pants, shorts, or even skirts (only loose fitting dresses) for about a month. Each episode afterwards was less severe than the previous one. Maybe because I recognized the symptoms early and went to the Doc immediately.

I wish I could give you some advice for relief, but other than taking any meds the doc prescribed, the only recommendations I have is wear loose fitting clothing and leave the bra in the dresser without embarrassment.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

3. Thanks SallyO'Sews, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Feeling for you - when I had shingles (back in the early 90's) I was suspect because a fellow employee was suffering. I got to the doctor early and they gave me some medicine - so I cleared up fairly rapidly. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

5. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhh.....I am so sorry to hear this. I have known several people who have had singles and they have suffered terribly. It was just terrible to the 3 people I know that have had it.

I was told that I shouldn't have the vaccine....??? I need to question this new Dr. I have to see what she thinks.

Want to hear a funny story? I have a friend who actually told me she had shingles......but didn't. For some reason, she didn't want to attend my small wedding when I got married for the 2nd time....Isn't that a hoot? Why lie? Why not just come out and admit she didn't want to go? 3 days after the wedding, she called and wanted to go out to dinner....I inquired about the fact that she was contagious, although she said she wasn't ? I declined to go anyway. About a year later, she was talking to someone we both knew and told that person she had never had shingles...( ??? ) People....it's amazing what some will do and say.

Oh well....we aren't on speaking terms any more....it wasn't because of that, but it was something almost as petty. I guess I have finally learned that if you want to hurt my feelings, there's no reason for me to continue to feel as though I HAVE to be your friend !

Carol, I hope you don't have the shingles as bad as some of the people I know..... You poor thing.
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; October 31st, 2017 at 07:48 PM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

7. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Carol, as I read your post I am hurting....my memories are very clear about my 4 bouts with Shingles (forget the old belief that you only get it once). The last one was by far the worst. I am so very sorry for you. It's amazing how a childhood illness can come back and haunt us! I will tell you that, like you, I would rather have children then suffer the pain of the last bout I had. I do hope that they are right that since you have had the shot you will have a less severe case. I won't go in to detail about 2004 and when I had my (hopefully) last case. But suffice it to say that I do pray it's my last. Take GOOD care of yourself, rest a lot, take any medications they have given you and BE GOOD to YOU! ABSOLUTELY like Carolyn said wear loose clothes and leave the bra in the drawer! God Bless you and help you to have a mild case.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

9. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry you are suffering with Shingles. I had a mild case of Shingles after giving birth to my DD 52 years ago. I can still remember the pain. I hope you feel better soon. Love & Hugs.

11. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

oh please get well soon. I love you

13. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My story of shingles is on the forum somewhere - but as said above, I would rather have babies then ever have that pain again. I just about wanted to die. I had severe complications as well because I was misdiagnosed. Ended up with MRSA infection, surgery to cut it out, and now have Postherpetic neuralgia. It has been 7 years and I still have to deal with the annoying bad nerve. I get shots in my back for it a couple times a year.

My prayers go out to you. Take care of yourself. Take time to heal, rest a lot and find the most comfortable clothing you can. I hated anything touching me and still do some now, but - cannot live life without them LOL.

I still have to get a shingles shot - I was too young to get it - got my shingles when I was in my 50s. They do say the vaccine is supposed to lesson the severity if you do get them.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

15. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly do feel for you. Been there and never care to go back. It's like someone is constantly flicking a switch which sends lightening bolts up and down your body. Mine were so bad my doctor ordered morphine at a dose which required that she hand deliver the prescription to the pharmacy herself. No mater, it did nothing. They told me of a drug that was supposed to stop the pain by altering some brain wave. It is normally given to people with seizures. I passed, figured I had enough problems. I wish you a speedy recovery and will think about you often.

17. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Goodness, I am reading these last couple of posts....PHN...YES!!! Carolyn, you describe it well. I use Lubriderm patches when I get a flair, cold weather seems to bring more episodes on. Also take meds at night to help. Haven't needed morphine...hope I never do. is the med you are referring to Neurontin/Gabapentin? That's what I take every night at bedtime.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

19. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post