Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Christmas - what are you making?

I was wrestling today with getting an embroidery sampler framed straight...the linen was crooked or off center for about an hour of re-doing over and over...boy I worked up a sweat but I think I've got it in straight. The linen has some warping from the presence of the embroidery that can't be ironed or stretched out...just a slight puffiness on one side. I ordered some art "masking" tape...it seemed crazy to spend 21 bucks on a roll of tape but this project did take a ton of work. And it will look better in the back finished this way. I'm sure my cousin will love it. She has my Halloween sampler up now for the season.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020244.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	147375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020105.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	147376

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was wrestling today with getting an embroidery sampler framed straight for a present...the linen was crooked or off center for about an hour of re-doing over and over...boy I worked up a sweat but I think I've got it in straight and taut. The linen has some warping from the presence of the embroidery that just can't be ironed or stretched out...just a slight puffiness on one side. I ordered some acid free art tape to finish the back...it seemed crazy to spend 21 bucks on a roll of tape but this project did take a ton of work. And it will look better in the back finished this way. I'm sure my cousin will love it. She has my Halloween sampler up now for the season.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020244.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	147375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020105.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	147376

3. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have made a Thyroid Cancer Ribbon quilt, matching pillowcase and quilted ornament for my daughter. I am making a Hunter's Star quilt for DH, it is going on the frame tomorrow. I'm also making DH an attic windows wall hanging for his man cave or whatever cave he wants to hang it in. I don't know what else I might do. I did a little Christmas shopping today for other gifts.

This is my DD's quilt and the quilting and border:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS_cancerribbon_sp.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	147377 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS_cancerribbon_qb_sp.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	147378
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

5. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the idea of gift cards. It seems like people are just exchanging cash . I give you $50 and you give me $50. We put it on a gift card and then the store says, well , "you have $1.05 left, and you forget it and they win.
    About 4 years ago, I made all the GC's a bag with 3 zippers and each year I give them something to put in the old bag. The boys have real tools (screw drivers, wrenches, compasses, fire starters, tape measures....you get the idea) and the girls have compasses, firestarters, hole punches, staplers, doll clothes, ...whatever their interests are. DD says that her son (age 12) keeps about 20 lbs of stuff in his (lol) and he takes it everywhere.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Christmas quilt for DD, just needs to be sandwiched and quilted. I am also part way through a quilt for DGS, again it needs sandwiching and quilting.
    I have nearly finished knitting a cardigan for DD, it just needs sewing up and a collar to knit.
    Have a panel to make an attic window for DH but he wants it as a lap quilt - doubt I will get it done for this Christmas. I'll probably get it started in January, no sense in trying to achieve the impossible!!
    I have a couple of lap toppers in Christmas fabrics for our use so will try to get those finished. I am a basic quilter so they shouldn't take long.
    I fancy having a go with the microwave holders but we'll see!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made an orange peel quilt for my son and daughter-in-law. I give the grandkids money but usually make them a special handmade gift from just me but this year have no ideas what to make. Last year the three of them received full size quilts from me gifted in a matching fabric basket for their room.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Although I love Christmas I almost dread it every year it is harder and harder coming up with unique gift ideas. The gk are easy I have three gd under age 6.I am making one of my daughter's a quilt, it is almost done being quilted and I should have the binding on by Thanksgiving. It's the significant others, the guys, who I never have a clue what to get!! They are not the type that would even want a lap quilt and I think guys are just harder to buy for anyway. I used to shy away from gift cards. Then I received a few myself and thought, "This is nice actually. I can buy whatever I want." I think Amazon gift cards are good. I used to feel guilty buying gift cards but not any more.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My grown children suggested that each of us make a list of things that we are interested in and make an email go round. The 2nd dd started it and really made a list with specific items...books she would read, cookbooks she liked, brand name casserole dishes etc. I asked my son (the hard one to find something for) if he was making a list and he said, "heck no" last year I got a really cool custom made cam shaft lamp that I didn't even know could be made and wouldn't have had on a list. I love the surprise...I have enough money to buy anything I really want but the surprises are what Christmas is about". So...off to think about what would make a guy like that happy....maybe zucchini bread.

11. Thanks Claire Hallman, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    I don't know about anyone e else, but I am really liking Barb's zucchini bread guy.
    Same here....wondering if he's gonna share that zucchini bread - LOL