Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I don't understand sarcasium at quilt shop

If you run a business, you MUST accept the fact that you will lose business if you treat people poorly. You can have a bad day, and then you face the consequences of that bad day. I have sent a number of quilts to M*, and have chosen thread color with caveat that if they think it will look bad, let me know. So far, so good.

2. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

People just shouldn’t go into a line of work that calls for warm relationships with customers if they don’t want to behave kindly to others. As long as the quilter isn’t the owner, I would probably shop there again, though. Especially since other staff are nice and helpful. There will be a day when you can seize a moment and tell that quilter that she did you a favor that day she was so short with you because as a result you found a REALLY good long arm resource and you are so happy with her work. Let her chew on that for a while.

4. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would not go back to that shop ever and give her my money if I were you. She obviously is under stress with too much to do. She obviously is too greedy to tell you she is way backed up. She does not relate to people well at all. That is her job in her profession to help you pick treads and a design that will complement your quilt. Not be crabby, there are enough nice helpful people around that you don't need to be part of her drama. So happy you found another quilter to do your quilt.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

6. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would have done the same -- left the store.

You DID tell her off -- you LEFT and now she doesn't have your business nor your MONEY!

You owe her NOTHING -- no second chances. She had a bad day? Tough. She owns a business and shouldn't treat people like she treated you.

Send your quilt to Missouri Star or find another quilter.

Best wishes and prayers for peace in your heart.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

8. Thanks LindaKay75, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'd left too. If she's the owner, I'd probably never go back. If she's not, I might call and ask to speak to the owner and in a kind way mention my experience. The owner may not know and if it's a one time blow off, the woman's got some explaining to do. I'm happy you've found another quilter and are also happy with M*. It's good to have more than one source.
    Consider it a lessened learn and don't fret. If you need something form your local store, don't feel bad, go. Unless, it really bothers you, then don't. Life has to much mess in it, to fret over the stuff you can't do anything about!

10. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Write it down.send it snail mail to the owner. If no one calls to appologize, stay away. If the owner calls or writes, accept the appology and continue your support

12. Thanks LindaKay75, Granny Fran thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

With an attitude like that it wouldn't surprise me if you would not have liked the way she did your quilt if she had had it. So you are twice blessed :-) I just can't see how her attitude being like that wouldn't bleed into her work too. Pretty nasty. I also can't believe she only had two color threads to choose from. Geeze, part of the fun is picking out the thread color and the pattern.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

14. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spring Bird View Post
    Linda, I am glad that you found someone to quilt for you.
    go back to the quilt shop and find a private moment to speak the quilter away from earshot of others. Talk to her about how you felt rushed. In the future can you get your quilt into her line up and schedule a time later to discuss the pattern and thread.
    We never know the challenges that others are facing each moment.
    I, too, am not confrontational so I struggle with how to respond sometimes. Also, I’m not quick on my feet with an “ear full”, when needed. However, I do think this recommendation is a great one. This way, you let your concerns known and you can put this behind you (whether you decide to giver her a second chance or not). Also, she may think twice about how she responds, if she knows how she is coming across to her customers. We never know the battles some are facing so I always try to give second chances. I usually don’t give third chances though.......

16. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others - I'd never darken her door again! Glad you walked out.

18. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am in agreement with those that say never darken their doorway again. Yes, we all have bad days, but when you work with the public, you don't have the luxury (for lack of a better word) to let what is going on in your personal life interfere with how you treat your customers. If you do, you lose business. And you should. So yep, I'm with all the others that say good for you leaving that shop with your quilt. In a very non-confrontational way you took your stand and made your point loud and clear! Good for you!!
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

20. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post