Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric Quilt Software

Although I am new to quilting for the second time in my life, I have a stash of old fabrics that I purchased/won at a time when I wanted to learn to quilt; however, due to medical issues between myself and my husband, I was unable to get into it. I kept the fabric and notions that I either purchased or won at the one Shop Hop I went to several years ago, am now ready to get back to learning to quilt.

So, since I have old fabric and do not want to spend a lot of money on new fabric designs until I have had some experience with learning to read and understand patterns, as well as how to use rulers to cut the fabric, and other notions, I am ready to begin making a quilt.

I have discovered that even though I purchased or won fabric pieces that go together, it was difficult to decide which design to use for the different parts of the pattern (such as HST, small squares, etc.). Before I do all the cutting for the pieces, I tried to just lay them together to see how they look next to each other. This became overwhelming because without the pieces being cut to size, it was difficult for me to choose which pattern to use for different cuts. I suppose I just do not have any artistic eyesight!

So, I came to this forum to ask about the pattern design software and found this subject has been discussed before and that there are a lot of you who have the EQ software. I have looked at their website, and am considering purchasing it, if it will not be too difficult for me to learn.

Has anyone had a bad experience with the software? Most of the previous discussion is about how useful it is.

Any other suggestions for how to learn choosing fabric for the pattern design?

Thank you for any assistance on this matter you can offer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Electric Quilt Software

I use EQ7 all the time but it's a bit pricey and has a pretty steep learning curve. I think there's a smaller version that's less expensive and probably a bit easier to use. Check the Electric Quilt website.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks quiltsRfun for the input. I did go to the EQ website and discovered that this is going to take a lot of thought due to the cost of the software plus cost of additional items that appear to go with it; not to mention the cost of online classes to learn how to use the software! I do think it would be a lot of fun. I did find a you tube video about EQ8 and it appears that the changes may make it easier to operate the software. I think I will wait until next year when EQ8 has been used by many quilters and any kinks worked out. Happy quilting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think your idea of waiting is a good one. I got EQ7, and even though I have many years of experience with computer programs and I'm not intimidated at all with learning a new program, I found it way too challenging for 2017. It should definitely be easier to learn than say, Photoshop, but it's not. I think they also nickel and dime you with add ons and whatever. Plus, their academy is way too expensive.

Maybe spend some time watching Jenny and others on YouTube working with patterns and get more familiar with current styles and how others use fabric together. Also, there are so many bloggers out there with wonderful posts and great photos. Like our own Preeti, for example. You might also like to browse Instagram, it is a photo treasure trove. I'm just starting to use it, and I'm amazed at the number of great ideas I spot with very little effort. Good luck!

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Midge. I do watch tutorials, but have not read many blogs., but will add that to my research on quilting.