Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Straight of grain...confused

Sure do use the diagonal corners stretch. I find it useful for homespuns particularly. BUBBY, could you and some of the regular retreaters work up a skit or dance "Doin' The Wiggle"? We could have our own dance routine. And a video of it for sure.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

The main culprit in fabric being off grain is when it is wrapped by a high speed machine on the bolt and is off grain to start with. I tried tearing some fabric instead of cutting it then when I laid the piece out for my backing it was way short on one end and was unable to use that piece. ugh!

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

In cutting quilt pieces, I find exact straight of grain is less important than cutting 90 degrees (right angle) with the fold.

That said, I find that pre-washing, drying, and then pressing the fabric greatly reduces or even eliminates the twist (warp is what I think it is called) the fabric got during the manufacturer's wrapping under very high speed and pressure onto the fabric board. I never tear, because it can leave me short of fabric or leave distorted, stretched, frayed edge to work with.

If you think your fabric has a lot of twist to it, and don't want to try the pre-wash method, I recommend just starching before cutting, as that will stabilize the fabric so that it doesn't release that twist when you press your blocks. I have had severe twist in a fabric where I just didn't have any extra yardage to straighten it out, but without starching, I found when I pressed blocks at different points, they distorted (as the fabric relaxes and resumes a more straight grain form). Made piecing and achieving flat blocks more challenging. So, now I prefer pre-wash, dry, & press with starch. But if can't pre-wash, press and starch... Starch makes piecing easier too. And all starch washes out when you wash your finished quilt.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Julie A; November 13th, 2017 at 10:59 AM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, everyone took me back to Sewing 101 in 7th grade. The wiggle was the method taught. Then when I went home and told my mom that I needed more fabric for the apron she took the fabric and we pulled from each corner. Walla I had a nice piece of fabric that my teacher was ok with. We were not rich and this class was costing my mom lots of money that she could have spent on food, rent or even something for herself. We had to buy fresh, all sewing supplies including a wrist pincushion that was too tight for me to use. Ugggg. A public school should have been ok with the supplies that our moms already had. Including prettier apron fabric.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
    This video explains how to straighten fabric. This is how I learned to straighten fabric in Home Ec. It is for garment sewing but the principle is the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF60qVY83j4
    That's how I was taught, too.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine