Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: goldenstar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: goldenstar

This thread is very interesting, as well as sad. I have felt the "disconnect" for some time now. I love Jenny's tutorials and the whole amazing story of how they grew from nothing. That being said, I do feel like they have forgotten where they came from and who got them there. In my experience, their customer service is lacking, and I don't agree that they are always "responsive". Don't even get me started on the shipping issues, and it has been made very plain to me that they have no plans to do anything about it. I used to feel very loyal to them, but I realized they are not loyal to me as a customer. I long ago quit ordering anything that I needed any time soon. I can order from almost any other website and actually get my order in no more than two days after I order it. I was told I should be happy to get it in a week - after they ship it.

I do hope to actually visit them someday, but I only stop by the website occasionally now.

edited to add - I have no problem with the Golden Star promo, I am happy to get the points. :-)
    Last edited by dwil23; November 5th, 2017 at 07:45 AM.
    Donna

2. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lori63 View Post
    I'm interested in the changes Bubba heard about at the retreat. It sounds like they weren't changes for the good.

I understand growing businesses have growing pains and even with a big family like the Doan's there's no way someone in their family is qualified to fill every position. Al never wanted to be the CEO of a big company. He's said several times he likes the computer, internet and the start up process. When a business grows, you need an HR department, unless you've gone to school or have experience, you can't just jump into that position. It's the same with web design, shipping, logistics, etc. Of course they are going to have to hire outside people with experience and education.

My hope is they always remember and hire people who share their vision, not just look out for the bottom dollar.

I for one love M*, enjoy the forum and go to Hamilton a couple times a year.
    Lori,
    I did contact MSQC and got an email back ( I can't find it right now....I tried to copy it, but I have quite a few emails to go thru so later today if I find the email again, I will try to post it once again.

In part the email did admit, yes, they did hire someone as a CEO....and he has been at MSQC for a couple of years....etc. and the email also explained a little about the promotion ( Golden Star) etc.

I am pretty loyal to MSQC....I shop here when they have something I really like. Sorry,but Jo-Ann's just doesn't do it for me. Most of their products come from China....and to tell you the truth, ( and I realize that there's just somethings you have to purchase from overseas....I get that. That being said, I also realize that if I want quality fabrics I am going to have to pay from them.....

While I don't get it that there's normally issues with orders IF you want yardage cut in your order....but honestly, I think that MSQC is trying hard to fix that.
    I personally have never had to wait for an order EVER.....and yes, I have had orders that were yardage along with other items I purchased.
    I honestly do think some of you who order on FREE SHIPPING DAYS have no clue what "FREE SHIPPING " does to the shipping department. On a regular day, 1000's ( Thousands ) of packages are mailed out of MSQC's warehouse......( Didn't they build a new warehouse in 2014-2015 ? That, in my book is a daunting task....mailing out 1000's of packages per day....and that isn't even on FREE SHIPPING DAYS! )

I read one comment where someone thought that the order that was placed should have arrived in 2 days ? Really ? Priority Mail thru the post office ( USPS ) normally takes 3-4 days for me, even if it goes clear across the country to or just a couple of states away. All of the mail here in Jackson, MI is not mailed out of Jackson, MI....no, it's TRUCKED to LANSING, MI to a large facility there, and then sorted and BROUGHT BACK down to Jackson, MI .....so I assume a lot of states have issues like this.....not only Michigan.

While I enjoy FREE SHIPPING just as much as the next one, over the last few years, I haven't been ordering on FREE SHIPPING day, I just normally wait until the next day ( sometimes the next week after) and place my order then.

Lastly, I tell ANYONE....and I mean anyone that sews about MSQC Why, Just this week alone, I have told at least 10 people about Jenny and her newest tutorial!!!......While I go to Jo-Ann's for sewing patterns etc......and silk flowers when they are on sale, as I said above, I don't shop at Jo-Ann's too much, and when I do, it normally doesn't involve fabric.

While it's always amazing to see a company grow, I do think there's a little bit of the Mom & Pop attitude that falls away when a business such as MSQC grows....and that's okay too. I am so happy for the Doan kids, stop and think about it....how many children would think or worry about their parents retirement and want to do something about it ? I don't think there's that many kids out there that think like this any more.

Lastly, I have made a lot of wonderful friends here on the forum.....friendships that continue to grow, and I am really grateful for that. It's awesome to not only make new friends, but gain new knowledge as well.

Thanks not only to MSQC for this forum.....but thanks to all of you who make this forum what it is......Let's also thank the moderators who oversee the forum for us. They do a thankless job every day.....and again, THANK YOU Moderators !

Take care everyone ! Have a Blessed Sunday.

Name:  Lionus Sigh.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  5.0 KB
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; November 5th, 2017 at 09:03 AM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

4. Thanks LindaKay75, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
    Lori,
    I did contact MSQC and got an email back ( I can't find it right now....I tried to copy it, but I have quite a few emails to go thru so later today if I find the email again, I will try to post it once again.

In part the email did admit, yes, they did hire someone as a CEO....and he has been at MSQC for a couple of years....etc. and the email also explained a little about the promotion ( Golden Star) etc.

I am pretty loyal to MSQC....I shop here when they have something I really like. Sorry,but Jo-Ann's just doesn't do it for me. Most of their products come from China....and to tell you the truth, ( and I realize that there's just somethings you have to purchase from overseas....I get that. That being said, I also realize that if I want quality fabrics I am going to have to pay from them.....

While I don't get it that there's normally issues with orders IF you want yardage cut in your order....but honestly, I think that MSQC is trying hard to fix that.
    I personally have never had to wait for an order EVER.....and yes, I have had orders that were yardage along with other items I purchased.
    I honestly do think some of you who order on FREE SHIPPING DAYS have no clue what "FREE SHIPPING " does to the shipping department. On a regular day, 1000's ( Thousands ) of packages are mailed out of MSQC's warehouse......( Didn't they build a new warehouse in 2014-2015 ? That, in my book is a daunting task....mailing out 1000's of packages per day....and that isn't even on FREE SHIPPING DAYS! )

I read one comment where someone thought that the order that was placed should have arrived in 2 days ? Really ? Priority Mail thru the post office ( USPS ) normally takes 3-4 days for me, even if it goes clear across the country to or just a couple of states away. All of the mail here in Jackson, MI is not mailed out of Jackson, MI....no, it's TRUCKED to LANSING, MI to a large facility there, and then sorted and BROUGHT BACK down to Jackson, MI .....so I assume a lot of states have issues like this.....not only Michigan.

While I enjoy FREE SHIPPING just as much as the next one, over the last few years, I haven't been ordering on FREE SHIPPING day, I just normally wait until the next day ( sometimes the next week after) and place my order then.

Lastly, I tell ANYONE....and I mean anyone that sews about MSQC Why, Just this week alone, I have told at least 10 people about Jenny and her newest tutorial!!!......While I go to Jo-Ann's for sewing patterns etc......and silk flowers when they are on sale, as I said above, I don't shop at Jo-Ann's too much, and when I do, it normally doesn't involve fabric.

While it's always amazing to see a company grow, I do think there's a little bit of the Mom & Pop attitude that falls away when a business such as MSQC grows....and that's okay too. I am so happy for the Doan kids, stop and think about it....how many children would think or worry about their parents retirement and want to do something about it ? I don't think there's that many kids out there that think like this any more.

Lastly, I have made a lot of wonderful friends here on the forum.....friendships that continue to grow, and I am really grateful for that. It's awesome to not only make new friends, but gain new knowledge as well.

Thanks not only to MSQC for this forum.....but thanks to all of you who make this forum what it is......Let's also thank the moderators who oversee the forum for us. They do a thankless job every day.....and again, THANK YOU Moderators !

Take care everyone ! Have a Blessed Sunday.

Name:  Lionus Sigh.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  5.0 KB
    Priority mail rarely takes more than 2 days. I can show you tracking to prove it. I order from companies farther away than M* and they ship same day, priority and I have it in 2 days - 99% of the time. They also charge $6 or less. M* insists on putting their orders on the UPS slow boat and it takes 5-7 days minimum for it to arrive. You may be okay with waiting, but that doesn't work for me. 2 day delivery is the norm for most online companies. Amazon offers same day in many areas - including Sundays.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can only go by my personal experience and I have to say it is excellent. I mean really excellent. I've never had a problem, shipping is fast to me and sometimes amazingly fast..like two days. Once I had a chalk pencil that had broken and they replaced it immediately, that was shipped fast too. Any time I've emailed or phoned I've gotten replies that were fast, polite and helpful. So am I a vocally loyal MSQ person?? Of course! They have certainly earned it in all my experiences with them and so far I haven't experienced any changes since they have gotten bigger.

I'm sorry some of you have had some experiences you are not happy with but honestly I really don't see myself getting upset over some glitches should they occur with me as my experience has been so overwhelmingly good I can't imagine not cutting them some slack for an occasional problem :-) I love dealing with them.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

7. Thanks LindaKay75, Kgrammiecaz, grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This is from my own personal experience and what I feel about Missouri Star Quilt Co. I love M* for online shopping. I love their customer service. They have always been there for me and treated me with respect. I'm always satisfied with my orders and mail service. All credit goes to Jenny for all her tutorials. I have learned so much from that. I use to pay $35 to $50 for a class at LQS, this was way back when. I look forward to the blog every day. Everyone is so nice and helpful. Thank you all and thank you Missouri Star Quilt Co. for your loyalty and back at you. I hope to visit you one day.
    Last edited by LindaKay75; November 5th, 2017 at 02:19 PM.
    Linda

9. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I too love the Doan Family and their business. Having had the opportunity to meet Jenny and a couple others, I realized just how amazing they are as just everyday folks. I think the personal side of the business is still there, but it has to change to some degree.

Allan surely got to me when he said they were ripped off on the golden tickets last time. It made me change my mind about sending in any envelopes. I did send in a good handful last year and I ordered. But I feel close enough to this family and business for it to have made me feel bad, lol.

I love the free tutorials and the free shipping, low shipping. You just cannot go wrong with MSQC!
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

11. Thanks grammaterry, LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate the back and forth in this thread. It highlights a few of the major challenges we continue to tackle. We just had our quarterly board meeting to talk about vision for the company and how things are going and I came out feeling very excited for the next few years. Let me share with you a few of the highlights,

1) The family "essence" - This didn't magically change when I removed myself as CEO and put Mike in that seat. It started changing as we tried to figure out how to build a marketing team that wasn't just a handful of us with the facebook password. We have dozens of people that now represent the MSQC brand in some form (we have people that do customer service, facebook content, facebook comments, youtube, instagram, advertisements, billboards, magazines, etc) which is great, but we're learning how to get all of those people to speak the same language Mom and the family do. Everytime you interact with anyone at MSQC, we want the feeling to be the same. So we hire great people, and they swing us a bit to the modern feel, then others swing us to a very traditional space, and back and forth we go while people get trained, learn how to mesh their style with ours and then we judge the end result. We are getting closer, but this is one of the hardest things we do.

2) Shipping and Customer Service and Packaging - We are launching, today - like launching today - our new ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system. We've been working on this for almost two years, 90% of ERP integrations never go live because they are really hard. But this is our inventory management, our accounting and all that jazz. A majority of our issues with shipping come when you order something and we don't have as much as we thought we did, then we have to order more of it before we can send it to you. It's a bear. This is even harder for us with the retail stores and the online stores mixed. So having this inventory system launch is HUGE! We literally had a team of 6 people, 6 salaries just working on this project for almost a year. Think about how hard that is for a company to commit to. I think a lot of companies get to our size and fizzle out because making the jump to the grown up processes required to deliver a great experience are so hard. This fixes a lot, and especially time to ship and customer service (they only get behind when shipping gets behind and customers have to call to ask where their order is)

Packaging - Mike and I were just working on a way to start gathering input from customers to grade us on our efforts to "Wow!" the customer. So experiences like how you feel when you open a package from us or what your impressions are when you open an email from us are really important. When we could just go by my gut, we were right a lot, but my gut isn't something I can teach others, so we're building a way to measure and brainstorm in those spaces. That's really exciting for us too.

The last big one that I think solves a lot of the issues is you being able to choose which shipping method you'd like. We've built our whole business around a discounted shipping rate of $5 flat. It's worked great for a lot of years, but our customers needs are changing, sometimes you need something tomorrow morning, sometimes you can wait a few weeks, we need to let you decide on how that comes to you.

So I guess a summary is I'm glad we're working on the things that you all are noticing, nothing is shocking to me here, it stings a little bit to hear people think we've forgotten what got us here or that we've lost the family feel, that's the scariest feedback to get, but we're taking it seriously and fixing fast.

If you're wary of the service though, just give us a shot here and there, see if you can notice all the things we're doing to fix this. And for sure, keep telling me where the blind spots are, I miss stuff all the time and you guys are my eyes and ears

Thanks for all the support and love!
    Al - Jenny's son and former CEO

13. Thanks LindaKay75, Star lover, Ctbab, Mom23, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Al ~ Thanks for all the explanations of the transitions & challenges M* is facing. Just for my 2 cents worth, I love M*! I don't order as much fabric as I used to, because I have a really big stash that I need to use from. I've taken advantage of many DD's over the years & occas. the free shipping days. I love the BLOCK mag.; the quality is top notch with all the beautiful photography, & at least 10 quilt patterns in each issue. I love the family pictures & stories. I really appreciate the Forum; I've made many cyber friends here & learned a lot of tips about quilting & other topics. I look forward every Friday to a new Jenny tutorial. I like how we can print off a pdf document of the quilt pattern.

There is one change I'd appreciate -- to lower the free shipping charges on orders of $50., not $100. Another change I'd like -- not sure if it's possible -- if the fabric/item choices when browsing would load more quickly. Ever since the web site changes were made, items load much more slowly than they used to.

I definitely talk up M* to my friends. I applaud all your family has accomplished with M* as well as all the positive changes to Hamilton. I hope some day to be able to visit your town, all the shops, & attend a retreat. As Thanksgiving approaches, I am thankful for M* & all the Doan family. God bless you all!

15. Thanks grammaterry, Kgrammiecaz, LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

MSQC offers lower prices for shipping and fabric than most other online quilt stores I've looked at. The daily deals and bonus QC offers often balance out or negate shipping costs. Personally, I make quilts for me and not in any hurry, so the shipping speed doesn't bother me. It would be cool if there were an expedited option (or something like MSQC Prime membership?) for those that need their supplies for a deadline.

My only real squeak is that I'd like to see more of the new contemporary precuts and new precuts in general come in stock. I probably just browse the site too often, but if feels like I've been looking at the same selection awhile and many things are sold out. A tick-box to filter out out-of-stock items would be awesome.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Unicorn View Post
    MSQC offers lower prices for shipping and fabric than most other online quilt stores I've looked at. The daily deals and bonus QC offers often balance out or negate shipping costs. Personally, I make quilts for me and not in any hurry, so the shipping speed doesn't bother me. It would be cool if there were an expedited option (or something like MSQC Prime membership?) for those that need their supplies for a deadline.

My only real squeak is that I'd like to see more of the new contemporary precuts and new precuts in general come in stock. I probably just browse the site too often, but if feels like I've been looking at the same selection awhile and many things are sold out. A tick-box to filter out out-of-stock items would be awesome.
    I just spent some time looking on MSQC site......I am looking for something with ( a 10" Layer Cake ) pinks creams and maybe greens or blues....but everything I just looked at either didn't appeal to me or it was sold out ! I wonder what the deal is ? Is it time for new fabrics to come out so maybe MSQC is waiting to order "new" items ? I don't know, but this is the first time I have ever looked at the fabrics that I didn't find anything.....it's really rare that when I want to purchase something online here at MSQC that I don't find something and make an order !
    Oh, well...not disappointed, it's just not my day I guess....maybe tomorrow !

Name:  thsleep.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  6.9 KB

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"