Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Day surgery???

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Day surgery???

MM had surgery on his hand several years ago during which he had bones fused in his fingers. We were there midmorning for the start of it and about an hour later, a woman came in with three of her friends. About six hours later, she was wheeled out after surgery. I still had not seen MM. About an hour later, they let me go back to him (he was also having day surgery). I was telling him about this woman and one of the nurses said 'oh, she was just here for a mastectomy'.

For those of you who know me personally, you will not be surprised when I tell you I said if you were doing that surgery to me, you'd be keeping me at least one night, preferably two or three! The nurse said it's just a minor surgery and you heal better at home. It was at this point I grabbed my boob and exclaimed if you remove this major body part from the place it belongs, it will be major surgery and I will be staying in the hospital!!

Poor MM was doped up and giggling, I think because the nurses were all laughing at me! I don't agree with day surgery for some things, that being one of them!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

2. Thanks LindaKay75, SallyO'Sews, toggpine thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    MM had surgery on his hand several years ago during which he had bones fused in his fingers. We were there midmorning for the start of it and about an hour later, a woman came in with three of her friends. About six hours later, she was wheeled out after surgery. I still had not seen MM. About an hour later, they let me go back to him (he was also having day surgery). I was telling him about this woman and one of the nurses said 'oh, she was just here for a mastectomy'.

For those of you who know me personally, you will not be surprised when I tell you I said if you were doing that surgery to me, you'd be keeping me at least one night, preferably two or three! The nurse said it's just a minor surgery and you heal better at home. It was at this point I grabbed my boob and exclaimed if you remove this major body part from the place it belongs, it will be major surgery and I will be staying in the hospital!!

Poor MM was doped up and giggling, I think because the nurses were all laughing at me! I don't agree with day surgery for some things, that being one of them!
    I agree Pat. But I was glad to be home and have good drugs. Yes I was more comfortable being at home. I did have home care every second day as I had my drain for 12 days, as well as staples.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laura44 View Post
    I had a hysterectomy at 9 in the morning and they expected me
    to go home early afternoon. I was so dizzy I couldn't sit up so they waited
    until 5pm to kick me out. Worst day of my life.
    I had a total hysterectomy back in 1975 and was kept 5 days. Today they have you up walking down the hall same day and home the next. Times have changed. In 2005 I had gallbladder removed. Was kept overnight.

I'm wondering if the surgeon or the insurance company that makes the decisions.
    If I wasn't comfortable with going home same day, I would talk to the doctor about staying at least overnight. I would think an overnight stay you would not be at risk for infections.

I agree with Karen, they do want to get you out asap because of getting infections, etc.
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How could I forget MM had surgery almost 11 years ago to remove a noncancerous tumor from his spinal column and behind his lung. It was the biggest they had ever seen and would take a neurosurgeon and a thoracic surgeon to remove it. The plan was to have the neurosurgeon go first, followed immediately by the other.

Well, things did not go well and MM nearly bled to death. They took him back at 0600, surgery was supposed to be six hours long and I heard nothing until 1900!! They were able to do only the first half because he lost so much blood that they nearly lost him 2x on the operating table because they did not have enough blood to give him (he had a special blood, and if they had told me this was going on, my sister with the same type was with me and could have donated!). He spent ten days in the hospital.

Three weeks later was the other half. I told the doctor it would not be done unless they had at least four units of blood on hand. He argued with me and said they would not need any blood. I said that was what they thought last time too! So, they got the four units and when the surgery was done, the doctor came out and said first thing, we did not need any of that blood. He can go home in three hours.

Now, we were up at a hospital in Seattle, and I know how MM is after surgery. I told this doctor I'd be back the next day to keep him as I refused to take him home. He argued and said if I want to pay for a night in the hospital I could! I told him, that was why I had great insurance......

Because of complications, to include a code blue and everyone and their uncles and a crash cart being involved, he came home five days later along with an apology from the surgeon.

I hate day surgery!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

6. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You got the surgeon to apologize??? Wow--now [I]that's[I] a first!

8. Thanks SallyO'Sews, bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LindaKay75 View Post
    I had a total hysterectomy back in 1975 and was kept 5 days. Today they have you up walking down the hall same day and home the next. Times have changed. In 2005 I had gallbladder removed. Was kept overnight.

I'm wondering if the surgeon or the insurance company that makes the decisions.
    If I wasn't comfortable with going home same day, I would talk to the doctor about staying at least overnight. I would think an overnight stay you would not be at risk for infections.

I agree with Karen, they do want to get you out asap because of getting infections, etc.
    Linda,
    It's the insurance companies.....The insurance company I have now has to be CALLED prior to any procedure and the length of stay is determined by the insurance company. These "stays" can be changed of course, depending on what goes on after the surgery. I have Hydrocephalus ( dx'ed at 30 yrs old ) and there have been times when I have went in for a revision and was able to leave after 4-5 hours...then there were times when I ran a temp and was kept for 3-4 days, so the Drs. can call the insurance company and ask for extentions for things, and normally they are granted in most cases.

I have more trouble with CASE managers......I have caught them in LIES etc.....I never let on that I have worked as an RN when being a patient in the hospital ( although most of the time the nurses figure it out pretty quick due to some of the things I either ask or do when in the hospital LOL ) ....so, the CASE managers really set me on edge when I have to be admitted.

In 2010, I learned that if you have Medicare ( I haven't worked since 1993 ) and you are given a date for discharge, you actually don't have to be discharged on that date. You can ( and usually always are allowed to stay ) get 5 days added on to your stay. I had a roommate that knew this ( she had a host of medical issues and it was tough for her to be at home alone and take care of herself, so she actually preferred to be in the hospital ) and I was astonished when the Case Manager came back to the room and told her that her extension had been approved ! This woman ( in my opinion ) could take care of herself, or should have had a family member look in on her at best.....but she really didn't like going home! It's amazing over the years how many people I have encountered that have told me that they actually "Love" being in the hospital ......ugh ...really ? No thanks!

A few years back when I had my gall bladder removed they kept you for 4 days....and I went home in 30 hours. ( AS much time as I have been an impatient, I dislike hospitals when I am the patient.....however working as a RN, well, I enjoyed my job ) My DH Terry was chronically ill,( he suffered from uncontrollable seizures, and even though my parents didn't mind watching him and the kids if I was hospitalized, I know that if he were to have had a seizure when I was in the hospital, it would have been difficult for my parents, who were not used to caring for someone like that.....so I always insisted on going home early. The Drs. I had were always willing to let me go home and have a visiting nurse a couple of times.....which I really preferred to being a patient in the hospital...BUT I think that these insurance companies are going WAY too far the other way nowadays !
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; October 22nd, 2017 at 01:34 AM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

10. Thanks SallyO'Sews, LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I really feel for everyone who needs to deal with insurance companies. They do not care for people, only their bottom line. I am so grateful that I live in Canada, where your treatment plan / health care is not determined by insurance companies. Yes, there are isolated issues where they will not pay for new expensive, untested, unapproved drugs in Canada. However, Canadians do a great lobbying job with provincial governments to get these drugs covered. God bless your friend, and I hope her issue is resolved soon.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

12. Thanks SallyO'Sews, Monique thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My husband just had bilateral total knee replacement surgery, and our insurance tol him he was pre-authorized for one night stay at the hospital. I told him not to worry about it....he goes home when the DOCTOR (and hubby) day itís time to go home. And insurance will pay what the DOCTOR orders, not somebody reading a pre-determined protocol (that needs to be corrected!). My husbandís 5-night stay has been paid by insurance.

I hope your friend will focus on HER and ask for some help from a patient advocate at the surgeonís office, and/or the hospital. If her insurance provides a 24-hr Nurse (by phone), that can be a great resource for assistance.

14. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I simply cannot understand this poor level of care. Here, we never have to worry about this. Whatever the doctor decides is needed is what we get. If your surgeon says 5 days, then you're in for 5 days. I am having my knee replaced and will be in hospital for 4 days minimum. I simply cannot understand the level of stress American's have to go through when dealing with serious illness. I'm so sorry.

16. Thanks LindaKay75, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am having a single mastectomy on November 9 & was told my surgeon I would be in the hospital overnight or could stay longer if I felt the need. I think it should be the decision of the patient AND the doctor to decide if a longer stay is necessary. What do insurance companies know about how long someone should stay in the hospital? Any surgery/procedure sounds simple on paper but not so much in reality. My sincere apologies to anyone who works in the insurance business. Things have changed in the medical world & I think a hospital stay should be decided on a patient's needs.

Gina

18. Thanks bubba, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post