• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Polly Maree
    Block Queen
    • Dec 2011

Appliqued points and v's!

I'm going to try doing some machine applique work on a table runner today. My question is how do you manage to work on the points like at the ends of leaves and other tights turns when the applique piece is so tiny?
    Can you recall any tutorials that may help? Otherwise I will just take it very ..v e r y s l o w l y.
    Thanks
    Paula :-D
  • coffeebreak
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Re: Appliqued points and v's!

Originally posted by Polly Maree View Post
    I'm going to try doing some machine applique work on a table runner today. My question is how do you manage to work on the points like at the ends of leaves and other tights turns when the applique piece is so tiny?
    Can you recall any tutorials that may help? Otherwise I will just take it very ..v e r y s l o w l y.
    Thanks
    Paula :-D
    I just got down nearly to the Vpoint, and then with needle still down in the fabric, turn it to go up the other V side. Just watch the first 2-3 stitches to make sure they stay on the applique piece and the fabric piece correctly. If it doens't, it is easy to move just a smig to aline it up right and it isn't noticable should you have to do this.

I have also, on small things...just kept the needle down, turned the fab, the pulled the needle up and moved the fab to be positioned as I need it to be on the small piece. Just practice with it. I do lot of applique..it isn't that hard, you just have to really watch what you are doing
    Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

• Sewbee
      The Guild President
      • Sep 2010

If you are using a zigzag, satin, blanket or other type of decorative stitch on the edges of an applique shape you may want to start gradually decreasing the stitch width and possibly length as you near the narrow, pointed edges of the applique. Keep your needle down when you reach the point, turn the fabric and then start stitching again, this time gradually increasing your stitch width, length or both as you get back to the larger part of the applique. Try practicing first on a scrap piece of fabric sewing along an edge as you decrease your stitch settings for a bit and then increase them back up again. It will make it easier to get the desired shape you want in those smaller areas.
      Linda
      -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

• Polly Maree
        Block Queen
        • Dec 2011

Thank you Coffeebeak and Sewbee! I decided to just plunge into doing the applique block. I like the idea of decreasing the size of the stitch width when you come to the point.
        Somehow I managed and worked with what went best. Here is a sample of what I came up with!
        We have a new saying that I'm hearing pretty often here lately which I'm applying to applique and it goes like this..."A blind man on a galloping horse won't notice the difference".
        I put a pic of the block in my album. I'll be able to cut out and sew the rest of it tomorrow now!
        [IMG]http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/attachment.php?attach

Comment

• rebeccas-sewing
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2010

It looks really, really good Polly Maree!
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

• CrazyMtnLady
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2011

Very nice job. I also loved the bear quilt. Did you hand or machine embroider the bears?
            Donna
            MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

• debinmalaga
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2009

NICE job, Polly Maree! Love it!
              There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

• Nena
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2011

Just looked at your album at your applique pictures---you did a really great job at it!!! Can't wait to see the finished project.
                I am such a material girl!!!!!:icon_wave: Nena

Comment

• Polly Maree
                  Block Queen
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by CrazyMtnLady View Post
                  Very nice job. I also loved the bear quilt. Did you hand or machine embroider the bears?
                  I did the bears in the baby quilt with backstitch Donna. The little embroideries were done the same way. I'm glad you liked them.
                  Paula

Comment

Working...
                  X