Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stash ? for long time quilters

Three years ago I got introduced to precuts and was fascinated. And then, the daily deal. I have purchased several things for personal use and haven't had time to make them because of the Shriners project. I started the project by using up all my scraps and excess yardage from garment sewing and such. Then, your generousity kicked in and I was using your left overs and making quilts from what was on hand. Now, I am contemplating making myself quilts from the fabrics purchased three years ago and you know what...our tastes change and our skill levels change and its difficult to think when you have these things sitting there. When I first began quilting, I would buy fabric for a project, and then do it again. After three quilts, I would force myself to use up all the leftovers...I didn't want stash. THen, I became obsessed with the precuts and daily deals and started stashing. I even bought 44 fat quarters from craftsy once because it seemed like such a good deal...it wasn't. Then I bought some mystery fat quarters....I can't even work them into a scrapy quilt. But, with retirement lurking in my future...I am going to double down and go back to my original plan...Three quilts...use up excess. Buy what I like at the time and use it.
    I have truly been blessed that many of you donated the things you weren't using for the Shriner project and the project could not have achieved its success without those donations. I will continue to make quilts for the Shriners but of course, if the retirement happens, the whole process will be different than it has been.

2. Thanks cv quilter, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would have a hard time getting rid of my stash......Although I am planning on purchasing a home in FL for the winter months ( I really don't like all the snow any more here in Michigan ) My home here in Michigan is completely paid for, and I have a huge room for my sewing, so there's no real reason to get rid of my stash. I do occasionally make things for charities ( dog & cat blankets ) from fabric I no longer care for ( and can't figure out why in the blazes I purchased it in the FIRST PLACE ??? ) .....that gets rid of some of my "ugly" fabric stash......( then too, Deegles here on the forum had a "Ugly Fabric" exchange a few weeks ago, and I participated in that.....(???) so, I am a big sucker for fabric....I just can't seem to walk out of a fabric store, without buying something, nor can I refuse to "not" look at fabrics that are being sold at yard / garage sales......so I have quite a stock pile !

My DD did ask what should be done with ALL my fabrics if something should happen to me.....I "smiled" and said " Honey, maybe you will decide to learn to sew by then ? " She laughed and said " Don't get your hopes up Mom.....I doubt if Emily Jacqueline would ever wear anything I tried to make for her ! "

Name:  th7GRS30VGLazy Gar.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  8.6 KB

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

4. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a really hard time parting with anything. I use my ugly fabric and scrap batting to practice free motion or try out a new thread. I then turn them into pads to throw in the car and dog quilts. Isn't it funny how people will ask me to make their dog a quilt.

6. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I gifted my unwanted fabric to my sister-in-law who doesn't have a lot of extra cash to buy fabric (10 kids and she homeschool!) She quilts by hand and it's beautiful!

Like you, if I didn't have a quilt pattern or project in mind or if I didn't like it or if it didn't match anything else, I gave it away. If it was a keeper but less than an 1/8 yard, I cut it into 10", 5", or 2.5" squares or 2.5" strips.

8. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have shared a lot of my stash with a new quilter who rents from us. She has different taste and a different eye than mine and she has made some beautiful quilts, runners and tote bags from what I've shared with her. I gave her as Asian layer cake and she made the prettiest cat quilt for her best friend for Christmas this year.

My stash is sorted mostly by color and novelty cuts. Sometimes I get a wild notion to slim down my stash, so I choose one or two colors and go through them thoroughly and make bags of fabric that I donate to the guild in Houston. Doing it a little at a time doesn't seem so daunting.

10. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    I just can never bring myself to give anything up - I bought it, so I really do like 99 percent of what I have. And, I do agree that using what I may not love for charity quilts is perfect. We all have different tastes, so there will always be someone out there to love the quilt.
    If I have it, I most likely like it - otherwise I would not have bought it in the first place. I would say only get rid of things you really don't like. Or at least start with those. Another quick and easy project that will eat up the yardage is pillowcases for charity. Many quilt shops are donation points. And they make great gifts too! Jenny has a tutorial if you have not seen it.
    Donna

12. Thanks Carolnnc, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post