Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My turn to ask for help or suggestions on a pattern

This may be totally off base from what your friend is envisioning, but have you seen this pattern? It looks so fun to make.

http://ohfransson.bigcartel.com/prod...-quilt-pattern

2. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    This may be totally off base from what your friend is envisioning, but have you seen this pattern? It looks so fun to make.

http://ohfransson.bigcartel.com/prod...-quilt-pattern
    I showed her that one...no go. I saw some abstract flamingos, but not so much. Talked to her last night and she doesn't want the dark strips. Shes a pastel kind of woman...(remember...I'm a bright and happy bold fabric lover)...So we are at pink and aqua and flamingos. All of your suggestions are great. I really like the walk about pattern but think it really does need the dark and I know that is more what I had in mind. This is why we don't like doing custom work, right?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered the Warm Wishes quilt? It takes one focus fabric and three coordinating fabrics. You've got the focus fabric and two of the coordinating colors, you'd only need one more fabric...maybe a very soft yellow like the pineapples in the focus fabric.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

5. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I showed her that one...no go. I saw some abstract flamingos, but not so much. Talked to her last night and she doesn't want the dark strips. Shes a pastel kind of woman...(remember...I'm a bright and happy bold fabric lover)...So we are at pink and aqua and flamingos. All of your suggestions are great. I really like the walk about pattern but think it really does need the dark and I know that is more what I had in mind. This is why we don't like doing custom work, right?
    Oh dear, yes, that's why it takes a special mood to take on a custom project. So many people have no idea how to make a vision real, or if their envisioned quilt will look good in real life! Sounds like you are going to have to suck it up to plow through this! Darn! Well, I am going to have to find someone who wants that flamingo pattern, because I just love it! For you though I do have a couple other suggestions that work with brights and don't need a dark contrast. You could use any coordinating solid. First is Jenny's Square in a Square video tutorial. It was done as a written pattern too and it is darling made up in brights and pastels. You could eliminate one of the borders on the focus fabric inner square to get more of the focus fabric there. The other one is Jenny's Magic Square tutorial. This could be great in tropical pastel colors too as opposed to the modern collection Jenny used. Good luck!

7. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

What about something like this one I made for my sister? It was easy to do. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7590.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	147028 I love the Flamingo and pineapple fabric you picked out!

9. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's right Terry....I quit doing custom sewing YEARS ago, when a bride asked me to put pearls all over the top of the gown 1 1/8" inches apart? I made an enemy that day, when I laughed and said I just wouldn't do that, that if she wanted them measured "precisely" like that, she would have to find someone else to make the gown. I gave her a name of a friend of mine that loves making wedding gowns ....and my friend called me 2 days later and said " WHAT the H*LL are you trying to get me into Sugar ? " LOL.....we both laughed and my friend told her that she wouldn't do it either....!!! So, like I said, that was the last time I was hired to do something custom....and I am so glad I don't do it any more !

BTW....I really liked the pattern I found and suggested to you....although I don't like Flamingos....I might do this and give it to a friend that has been looking to move to Florida.....for a house warming gift maybe !
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; October 15th, 2017 at 09:07 PM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

11. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kgirlmom View Post
    What about something like this one I made for my sister? It was easy to do. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7590.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	147028 I love the Flamingo and pineapple fabric you picked out!
    is this the alter ego?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I heard flamingos and 11" repeat, I thought "One Block Wonder"! OBWs look exceptionally good when the are animals in the print. It's the kind of quilt you just want to keep looking at.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

14. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

is this the alter ego?
    Terry, I honestly don't know. I made it up as I went along. I knew I wanted to use the focus fabric and I think I made 8 inch squares to feature each "critter" (like you would do in your fabric on the repeat - but probably need to be less precise on centering the image) and then made half square triangles to finish at 8 inches. You said you had 2 other colors you want to use. On mine, I had 3 colors. Maybe you could throw in some white, or black where I used orange.

16. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't got a suggestion, but anxiously following this thread to see what you decide on.

18. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post