Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pellon Quilting Batting

I have always bought batting in a package. I took a chance with a 60% of coupon at JoAnn's and bought 5 yards of Pellon batting that was on a roll, at what I thought was a great price.

The prior to use instructions : To pre-shrink batting, soak in warm water for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly ,gently squeeze out excess moisture by rolling in a dry towel. Do not machine wash or dry batting before quilting. Lay flat to dry.

I am wondering if I made a mistake buying this. This seems like a lot of trouble . I have never pre-shrunk batting before. It such a big piece and I can not image where on earth I would lay it out to dry. Do you preshrink your batting? I am wondering if any of you have used this product before and I also wonder what would happen if I don't pre shrink it. (yes, I am lazy). I really don't want to mess up a quilt that I worked hard on.

Thanks for your ideas,
    Teresa

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pellon Quilting Batting

I will be following this post.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. I too have never bought bulk batting. I think Joy (JCY) has. Can't remember the brand. I couldn't use anything that I had to prewash.....I too am lazy.....well, at least when it comes to washing batting.....not gonna happen!
    Anita

4. Thanks mooveenut57, TMP thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You asked for ideas...return it. Who wants to put that much work into batting. If you can't return it, use it in smaller projects, cutting into the smaller size you need and then do all those steps.

6. Thanks TMP thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

hummm, I wouldn't have read the instructions so I don't know what I would do. Make charity quilts I guess. 5 yds isn't so much to use up, but you might take it in and exchange it if it worries you. That would seem like the easiest solution

8. Thanks TMP thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this post! I ordered a package of Quilters Dream Select from Fabric.com and they sent me Pellon's Nature's Touch instead. I was buying different types of batting to see what worked best in my new-to-me embroidery machine for edge-to-edge quilting, so I thought I would just keep it and try it. I saw your post and double-checked the package -- they recommend pre-shrinking the batting. Luckily, I'm still within the return window, so I just filled out the form to return it. Pre-shrinking batting is not something I want to take the time to do.

10. Thanks TMP thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Some people like the crinkled look of the shrinkage, so I would say it depends on what you'really after. I just finished reading the article below and she indicatesaid that this batting has a 3.5% shrinkage. My suggestion is to return it if this is not what you want.

I have not used this batting, but I did prewashe a king size batting before, because I knew the recipient of the quilt dId not like the crinkle look. Being it was for his bed, I also wanted to make sure that the quilt would still fit after the first washing. I think I put it in the washer on gentle just enough to wet it and ran it through my spin cycle, but not for the entire cycle.

Good luck with your decision.
    http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...1-batting.html

12. Thanks TMP thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Teresa, I too just bought this Pellon 100% cotton at Joann Fabrics, using coupon, and followed the instructions that said prior to using wash in cold water and dry on low heat or lay flat on surface. Since it was 2 yards and I didn't have place to spread out this much batting, It went into the dryer. It did shrink some and also beaded up and I noticed the scrim (sp) top layer separated from the batting. Right away I knew I made a mistake. I will never buy this again. I'm going back to my 100% cotton Warm & Natural which I've always used and happy with. Guess I thought I just had to use that dang coupon. Lesson learned here, always stay with what you're happy with.
    Linda

14. Thanks TMP thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think if JoAnn will let me return or exchange it I will. I hope I saved my receipt.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Pellon, NOT prewashed, because I am just not going to do that with any batting, and it turned out just fine in the quilt. Yes, my quilts crinkle, but that is part of the charm. When it is all quilted up the Pellon 80/20 feels very much like the Hobbs 80/20 to me and costs less.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.