Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pellon Quilting Batting

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    I have used the Pellon, NOT prewashed, because I am just not going to do that with any batting, and it turned out just fine in the quilt. Yes, my quilts crinkle, but that is part of the charm. When it is all quilted up the Pellon 80/20 feels very much like the Hobbs 80/20 to me and costs less.
    Same here. I used the Nature's Touch with no prewashing and was pleased with the results. I actually prefer it to a Warm and a Natural.

Heather Guest

I'm interested to know if Joann's will allow a return that was cut. My nearest location will not accept a return that has been cut.
    I've used the packaged Pellon (not sure of exact name) and really loved it. In fact I look for it now but the shelf space for it is almost always empty.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I use this batting all the time off the roll. I love the crinkle in my finished quilts and I never pre-wash. I have never had a problem with it and I like that it's not a blend.

I believe the steps to pre-wash would hold true for most 100% cotton batting unless it's been done by the manufacturer as a selling point. The packaged batting tends to be a cotton blend so there is probably less shrinkage and therefore less need to pre-wash.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Hobbs 80/20 for several years with good success. I never pre-wash it. Who wants to do that?!!! In the past few years, I've ordered batting from my LA quilter who also is a friend from my church. She orders for several quilters so gets a big discount; it saves $ with shipping. Previous yrs. I ordered just a half roll (15 yds.), but since she was going to be ordering only once a year, I decided to purchase an entire roll of 30 yds. I still haven't "cracked it open". It looks almost like a small hot water heater standing in my fam. rm. LOL! I have never used pellon. After hearing this tale of woe, I think it's not a product I'd be interested in.
    I used Quilters Dream Blend 70/30 for the Prairie Flower quilt. I bought the yardage from the Bernina Shop where they sell batting from a big roll. QDB handles very nicely, but I'm not willing to pay twice the price for it.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Pellon 80/20 all the time, and buy it on 20 yd rolls, and I have NEVER pre-washed it, or any batting. I must say I have never looked at the instructions on the roll though. It wouldn't matter anyway. Like Karen said, I am not about to pre-wash batting. The crinkly look in the quilts is what adds the beauty to them IMO.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Pellon Nature's Touch batting and have never pre-shrunk it. It works fine.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!