Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default About to attach my last border...I'm off a half inch on one side!

I'm somewhat of a quilter, a little here, a little there. I'm working on a wall hanging and am about to add my last border on the thing, and I thought everything was going well, but I measured each end and there's a half inch difference in the width of it from top to bottom! That's a lot! Not sure how I got off, I'd been measuring as I went.

I'm not sure what I should do to fix this. So far my googling isn't finding an exact answer either, but I'm not exactly patient. Maybe take all the borders off until I get to where it measures about the same? Ugh! I know it was correct at some point, so maybe I need to get back to that point?

I'm trying to do smaller projects to get some confidence doing FMQ. I have two quilt tops that I want to finish and I'm determined to do them myself.

What are some fixes?

Lori

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: About to attach my last border...I'm off a half inch on one side!

You could just leave it. Who will ever know if you don't tell?

If the quilt is bigger than 20 inches per side you shouldn't have any problem easing in 1/2 inch. Just pin and stretch.

Honestly I have been quilting a long long time and my edges still measure wider than my middle. It is part of the process. You are not doing anything wrong.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh heck, a half inch just isn't enough to get all worried about. I had one in the quilt sale that was 4 inches off when you folded it, but no one noticed. They just oohed and ahhed.

5. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about it, unless it's going to someone that's really persnickety!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

7. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, you guys are making me feel much better!
    I'll just keep going!

Thanks!

Lori

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was told once that it only mattered if you could see it while riding a horse by the quilt at 40 mph! LOL