Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP - Week of 10/9 - 10/15/2017

Fall is here. We are getting crisp mornings and the leaves are turning. Here in the midwest USA, we don't get the spectacular color changes that are common in New England and the mountains, but every now and then there is an individual tree that just blazes with color. I love this time of year, and Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. It's odd that I don't have a Halloween quilt - not even a wall hanging. And there are so many really cute ones! I need to fix that, but not until a few more Works in Progress are done and dusted.

I finished Block #5 of 34 (on the left in photo) on my "Aunt Lottie's Flower Garden" using MSQC's "Vintage Blocks" tutorial (but with hand applique). And started on Block #6. This is another pink block (like #4 on the right in the photo), so I have to make the flower before I can applique it down. I've cut all my fabrics and have the center 7 hexis prepped. I have quilt guild tomorrow, so hopefully can get the remaining 12 hexis basted then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aunt Lottie block 4 and 5.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	146917

I also cast on a new pair of socks. The pattern uses four colors, so it's not as portable as socks usually are.....
    Last edited by threadbndr; October 9th, 2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: add photo

2. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP - Week of 10/9 - 10/15/2017

This week I started a pattern from Moda called Big Sky "The Bear" by Annie Brady. The directions are so clearly written. If you can do a HST and snow ball a corner using stitch and flip you can do this really cute pattern.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3825.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	146918

You can download the pattern for free courtesy of The Fat Quarter Shop with this link

https://static.fatquartershop.com/me...igSky-Bear.pdf
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks threadbndr thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Currently working on the Elephant Abstractions quilt by Violet Craft. Oh how I wish I could find someone to make it for me! I have all of the fabric I've discovered I am NOT a paper piecer, but it's the last one I need to make for Christmas.

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I am half way thru with the two quilts that I am FMQ on my home machine. Seems like it takes me forever as my back and shoulders start hurting and I have to stop... rest then return. I can't always return. Thus it is slow going.

I saw a cute Christmas project for this year's gifting.. Poinsettia mats. made with four 8.75 circles and extra pedals. Can't wait to finish up these two quilts so I can play with some of those.

Break is over so I'm gonna try to get another hour of sewing on a quilt done before I have to quit and take something for pain.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mardou View Post
    Currently working on the Elephant Abstractions quilt by Violet Craft. Oh how I wish I could find someone to make it for me! I have all of the fabric I've discovered I am NOT a paper piecer, but it's the last one I need to make for Christmas.
    I talked to a lady on Facebook who did the Village quilt that I'm working on. It has a lot of hexagons and I was intimidated by them as I've never done paper piecing so I asked if she had experience with it. She said she didn't do paper piecing the usual way but used a washable fusible method to make them: http://hugsnkisses.typepad.com/hugsf...on-on-way.html

It looks interesting!

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

It does look like an interesting method! I might have to try that. I guess I'm just feeling the time crunch of this last Christmas quilt. I didn't expect it to take as long as it has taken me to do this one. Maybe I'll work on the bigger sections first to make myself feel like I've accomplished something, and save the itty-bitty pieces for the last.
    Thanks for the tips!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I retired from work just over a week ago and thought I would be glued to my sewing room but over the last 12 months the house has been getting to me so I got started on cleaning out drawers and cupboards. It's a slooww process but as each one closes I get a great deal of satisfaction.
    DH is taking me to Ibiza on Sunday for a week as a retirement gift (just love that man - he has already bought me a new sewing machine) so probably won't get to sew until after I return.
    I have a couple of deadlines for a quilt for DD birthday at the end of this month and some toiletry bags needed for the first week of November so I will HAVE to get a wriggle on then.
    Hope you all have a productive week and best wishes and hugs to those in need.

10. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mary, congratulations on your retirement. The day will come when you are so busy, you'll wonder how you found time to work. Enjoy your trip, and of course, sewing on your new machine.
    I'm working on finishing 2 crib quilts this week. One is done, the other has been quilted, needs, trimming, binding etc. I joined the janome group on Yahoo. Oh, the things I have learned. Has made these last 2 quilts so much easier to do. That being said,I'm going to see about finishing some of UFO's I was so frustrated with in the past. Kathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad my sewing machine was in the shop and slowed my progress on my DGD quilted curtains. They are moving to Orlando so I will un-sandwich the two parts and turn them into one quilt.
    I am working on another small quilt with lots of cats on it, it was going to be for project Linus but now it will go to DGD to remind her of her grandparents that will be far away. I need to finish this and make one for her brother as well. Yikes, we will really miss them.

Congrats on the retirement, I agree one day you will not understand how you possibly had time to work.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've had an unopened Simplicity pattern for hospital scrubs for a couple of years and since I had a 70% off quilter's showcase fabrics at Jo-Ann's I thought I'd see if I liked any of them for that project. I wound up getting a great bargain because the computer wouldn't take the 70% off coupon so the cashier entered it by hand, then 30% coupon took extra off the fabric (it was supposed to go toward bias tape) then a 20% off everything kicked in (which was supposed to go toward embroidery floss). So I got six and a half yards of fabric, one package bias tape and one skein embroidery floss for $11.19.

WHOOOOOOOOT!!!