• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GuitarGramma
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2012

A Great Needle

I just finished my first Edge to Edge quilting project using an embroidery machine. I had a REALLY tight deadline on this quilt and finished in the nick of time for a fund raiser. In other words, if things hadn't gone smoothly, I wouldn't have completed the quilt in time.

I used a new kind of needle (for me): the Schmetz 130/705 H-Q Stepp-Nadel Quilting Needle, size 90/14. This needle performed like a champ. Not a single stitch skipped in a project with 64 hoopings. I did change once in the middle of the project simply because I hit my 40,000-stitch-change-your-embroidery-needle mark. But I only did that under an abundance of caution.

So, of course, nerd that I am, I had to find out what Stepp-Nadel meant, but the Schmetz web site didn't say. I kept digging, and still couldn't find anything.

Then I thought, "Well, 'nadel' could be German for 'needle,' " and Googled "translate German stepp." Guess what? "Stepp" is German for "quilt"!

I guess I should have asked my question here on M*, because our German members could have told me much more quickly!

Anybody know what the "130/705 H-Q" means?
    Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Re: A Great Needle

Great language lesson! I found some articles and I think what your looking for is called the needle system.

For heavy-duty tarps, Kevlar fabric and geotextile fabrics, you need the right needle sizes and systems for industrial sewing thread. Here’s how to select them.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• GuitarGramma
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2012

Nice site, Lori. Thank you!
      Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• MRoy
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2011

This document from Schmetz has info about needle size designations.
        SCHMETZ Sewing Machine Needles are known around the world for the quality and precision. With sewing machine needles for crafters and industrial usage, SCHMETZ has a needle for every type of project.
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• cv quilter
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

Toni, I'd love to see a picture of your Embroidery Machine Quilt! I have an embroidery machine and have been tempted to make a quilt of embroidered blocks.
          A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• GuitarGramma
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by cv quilter View Post
            Toni, I'd love to see a picture of your Embroidery Machine Quilt! I have an embroidery machine and have been tempted to make a quilt of embroidered blocks.
            I'll post a picture after work today. You can see the quilting really well on the black border in the photo, so it will help you.

Comment

• cv quilter
              Missouri Star
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
              I'll post a picture after work today. You can see the quilting really well on the black border in the photo, so it will help you.
              Thank you. Will watch for it...check back tonight.
              A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• Bubby
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2011

Schmetz needles are really good quality.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Grey Lady
                  The Guild President
                  • Jan 2015

I love the their size 75 quilting needles with 50 wt aurifil thread for piecing, also for SITD. I use 80/12 with 50 wt for FMQ, no fraying or breaking. Those needles just glide through ghe layers.
                  Diana Grey

Comment

• snippet
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2012

I'm glad you got the quilt finished in time without any hassles. Needles are so different. I used to think it didn't matter what needle I used, but it makes a big difference. Right now I'm using a 90 Microtex because I'm piecing with batiks that are really dense. My normal 80 needles made popping noises, big holes and skipped. Even with the 90 Microtex, I have to start my stitches slowly so the needle will puncture and not just punch the fabric down into the needle plate.

Comment

• lauthala
                      Quilting Guru
                      • Jan 2012

I got those needles(130/705 H-Q) a couple of years ago but they don't fit my Janomi 1600 p, which I use on the frame for quilting,it takes HLx5, but would fit my Husqvarna its for normal sewing,but haven't used them on it. So still in its packet.

Comment

Working...
                      X