Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it okay to just ignore spam?

I have received five emails in the last week apearing to come from Amazon and Wal-Mart. They showed up in my in box and I deleted them w/o actually opening them. In both cases the words Amazon and Walmart had weird capitalization and informed me that my orders were either being processed, ready for shipping or had arrived. I have ordered from Amazon but nothing in the past two months and nothing pending. I don't even shop at Wal-Mart so I don't know where that is coming from. I opened a charge account at Penneys 3 months ago, idk if they sold my email address or not. I review my credit card statement carefully every month and nothing seems out of whack there. Is this something that I should be worried about? I also was informed by Eqifax that my info "may" have been hacked so that might be the connection. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is it okay to just ignore spam?

I got some from Amazon. I opened the first couple and realized what it was and started deleating them. They seemed to have gone away though.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I get them from time to time, I do not even open the email. I just mark as spam and delete
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

4. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just delete them and don't waste any time looking at them. I know where I have packages coming from and rarely do business with Amazon.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I mark as spam ... that way my internet service provider won't send any more notices from that address.

7. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have filters set such that most of these emails go straight to my junk folder. I just looked, and sure enough, there are two there from "Amazon". Love the English:

AMAZON : YOUR ORDER NO #812-4623 MIGHT ARRIVED

"Might"? "Arrived"? ha ha ha!

Just ignore them. If you have any questions about your Amazon account, go to Amazon and look up your account history. Just don't click on ANY links in any emails that you not absolutely sure about.

I got a phone call the other day from "Microsoft", about my computer. I actually laughed at the guy and then just hung up. He could barely speak English! It was soooo bad, it actually made me laugh. And why would Microsoft (a software company) be calling me about my computer (hardware)? Does this scam really work on some people?

I'm going to get my credit accounts frozen. We really don't need to apply for any credit, so we might as well. This thing with Equifax is CRAZY! We've also been hacked through Target, one of the clothing stores, and SEVERAL times from the federal government (security clearance things for hubby).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I get the same sort of junk in my in-box. Usually it's shortly after I either 1. respond to a survey, or 2. enter a contest on-line. Like others have already stated, I don't even open them, just send them directly to junk and block. It takes a while, but I do start to notice a decrease in the daily quantity of spam...until I trust another survey or contest.

I hate to say it, but I won't even participate in any of MSQ's surveys or contests, because I've experienced the increase in spam after having done so before.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
    I got a phone call the other day from "Microsoft", about my computer. I actually laughed at the guy and then just hung up. He could barely speak English! It was soooo bad, it actually made me laugh. And why would Microsoft (a software company) be calling me about my computer (hardware)? Does this scam really work on some people?
    You would be surprised at the scams people fall for!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know these scams are really a pain - please, warn others (especially elderly folks).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
    I'm an old computer programmer, so I take a bit of pleasure in confusing these scammers. The bad part is that once I throw some confusing jargon at them, the next guy who calls knows what to say. So they're coordinating at some level. One day, the guy got so mad at me that he cursed and told me not to get my panties in a wad and then hung up. THEN his supervisor called me back and gave me more grief. Now I ask them how they know it's my computer and when they give me a name, I tell them that person doesn't live here. Which, actually, has been true in every case so far. And the frequency of these calls has gone way down. Or maybe its just that I've quit answering calls unless I know the number.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?