Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about Grace frames...

Ok, so I saw this in an ad on Craigslist, and I did send the seller an email to ask more questions. I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me what model this is, and is it worth the $200 to snap it up and venture into the world of longarm quilting??? I think I would be able to use my viking with it to start with (10-11 inches throat space), and then get something different later - if anyone can provide any info it would be great! Thanks in advance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grace2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	146755
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grace1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	146756

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question about Grace frames...

That certainly looks like my Grace frame. How long are the roller bars? If it isn't warped and has all it's bits and pieces I don't think that's a bad price.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    That certainly looks like my Grace frame. How long are the roller bars? If it isn't warped and has all it's bits and pieces I don't think that's a bad price.
    Sandy, from researching online, it looks like the 'Imperial', for which I can find almost no info. The ad says it is crib size, with all parts available to go up to king (now, I don't know if that means they have the parts, or just that the parts are available through grace...) Says it's new/not used.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm, thought it looked small. I think I'd back away or at least research how much it would cost to outfit it with longer roller bars.

The Grace Company:
    2225 South 3200 WestSalt Lake City, UT
    84119 United States

Phone: +1(800) 264-0644
    Fax: +1 (801) 908-8888
    Email: info@graceframe.com
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Hmmmm, thought it looked small. I think I'd back away or at least research how much it would cost to outfit it with longer roller bars.

The Grace Company:
    2225 South 3200 WestSalt Lake City, UT
    84119 United States

Phone: +1(800) 264-0644
    Fax: +1 (801) 908-8888
    Email: info@graceframe.com
    Thank you m'dear That's what I was wondering... I don't really need to be buying anything right now anyway with the wedding so close. I just figured, if it was a screamin' deal, then it might be worth the jump!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Just keep in mind your 10-11 inches of throat space will equal about 6 inches of quilting space when you take the rods into consideration.

7. Thanks songbird857 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndaj View Post
    Just keep in mind your 10-11 inches of throat space will equal about 6 inches of quilting space when you take the rods into consideration.
    Yes, I have a Juki TL2000 on a Grace Frame. I've gotten down to 4 1/2" of quilting space at the bottom of a large quilt (90" long). The rolled up quilt filled the rest of the throat space. The fluffier the batting, the quicker the quilt fills the space.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

9. Thanks songbird857 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar frame (same configuration of roller bars and end pieces) mine was called Inspira. It came with my machine so I can't say exactly how much it cost originally, but I've seen similar frames priced around $1500. Mine is a 10 foot frame. I believe they come in 5 foot sections for the crib size and 10 foot, and a 2 foot add on for king. It's simple to lengthen the frames, as long as you can find the correct extension tubes.

One other thought, those who thought they could use their one machine on a frame and also for general piecing change their mind quickly and get a dedicated machine to leave on the frame. It is somewhat of a hassle to take a machine on and off the frame. One member found her fancy machine ( Janome 7700) was too fat to fit on the sled with the handles that Grace provides with the frames. If you can't complete your quilting job in one or two sittings, your machine is locked up till the quilt is finished. You can't really take the machine off the frame with a quilt on it. Just something to think of.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; October 2nd, 2017 at 10:49 AM.

11. Thanks Sandy Navas, songbird857 thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like their SR2 frame that can be broken down to crib size or built up to Queen. You can put most domestic machines on it. I'd ask the seller what machine they had on it. Also make sure they still have the extensions to make it a queen. New the SR2 is about $999 from what I've seen. It only has two rollers and you float the quilt top. I looked into this before I got my Dream Frame.
    At first I thought it was the Brother Dream Frame but looking closer it isn't.
    Good Luck,
    Susan
    Susan Davis
    Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

13. Thanks songbird857 thanked for this post