Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Awesome Steam Punk Cake !

I just stumbled in this cake decorator....Joshua John Russell ( no relation to my DH John ) and was amazed with this "Steam Punk " cake he showed how to make with in this YouTube.com video
    https://youtu.be/rZ2vh8rZd18

It's amazing....and quite easy I think ....well, my mom was a cake decorator years ago for a local bakery, and she also taught classes on cake decorating as well, so I have always been fascinated with watching my mom make cakes ! She made roses for cakes that looked soooo real.....it was amazing !

Anyway, take a look at this YouTube video....if you need an awesome cake for someone this might be something to try !

Name:  cake.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  4.8 KB

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

2. Thanks Juliet Taylor, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Awesome Steam Punk Cake !

Now THAT was awesome.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cake decorators are so creative. This was a great video and of course he made the whole thing look easy. But all those tiny pieces! Out of chocolate! And he painted all those itsy bitsy clock parts with black and didn't mess up. I can't even paint fingernails black without getting it all messy looking. You must have had a fun childhood and alot of jealous friends if your Mom was a cake decorator!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That was really cool! I want to watch some more of them!

The only thing is, that he would loose points on a competition show because he didn't decorate the back It's like quilts, those little pesky rules. lol

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Cake decorators are so creative. This was a great video and of course he made the whole thing look easy. But all those tiny pieces! Out of chocolate! And he painted all those itsy bitsy clock parts with black and didn't mess up. I can't even paint fingernails black without getting it all messy looking. You must have had a fun childhood and alot of jealous friends if your Mom was a cake decorator!!
    I actually did have a few friends that thought my mom was the coolest mom ! She was very involved at our school ( she did things for all three of us girls, and at one time we were ALL in 3 different schools, within the district.) My mom did occasionally make B-day cakes for the few close friends I had in school thru the years.

I remember when I was almost 5 and my mom had been asked to do a "dummy" cake for a bakery window made out of Royal Icing. It was for a window display for the Girl Scouts. Anyway, my mom had just finished this cake for the GS, with the emblem on the top of the cake. My youngest sister Sam ( her given name is Susan ) was almost 3 at the time, and my mom wasn't paying attention that Sam was climbing on a chair next to the counter where mom had just finished the cake.....and well, she stood on the chair, and suddenly lost her balance and her little hands went right into the center of that cake ! My mom just screamed ......and while she didn't say anything else, she quietly took Sam into the bathroom, gave her a bath, and then called the cake shop to tell them she would be a little late bringing the cake in for the window display the next morning !

You guessed it.....we were never allowed in the kitchen ever again when my mom was doing any type of cake decorating after that. Many people would ask my mom to make roses for cakes .....She also would make wedding cakes for couple who were getting married on a limited budget as her gift to them. Even now, many years later, those of whom she made those wedding cakes as a gift for their wedding still tell me how awesome their cakes were.....and back then, cakes didn't have colored flowers on them....remember that ?

Anyway.....it was great learning from my mom and her best friend who taught cake decorating at the local college here in town. I learned a great deal from both of them. I occasionally will make B-day cakes for the grandkids or the nieces / nephews, but I don't do it much any more either. I actually love making cakes like that Steam Punk cake.....while to most people that would be a challenge I suppose but I really like doing creative things like this. When my kids were small, I started the tradition to make "Jesus" a birthday cake. ( We would have a small lunch and that B-day cake on Christmas Day ....and our families got together for Christmas dinner around 5pm-6pm ) The kids took turns each year deciding on the type of cake, the cake flavor, the icing flavor / color etc. This is a tradition that my kids now carry on with their own families as well.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, isn't it? I already subscribe to him, as well as 'How to cake it' with Yolanda Gampp - she is so much fun to watch, even if I never make one of the cakes (Cuz, like I NEED another hobby...)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by songbird857 View Post
    Very cool, isn't it? I already subscribe to him, as well as 'How to cake it' with Yolanda Gampp - she is so much fun to watch, even if I never make one of the cakes (Cuz, like I NEED another hobby...)
    I will take a look at Yolanda Gampp's videos too.....Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that was so cool!
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love him! I always watch his videos because he's so funny and creative and I love his cakes!
    My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That was amazing! I made one highly decorated cake with graham cracker bears sledding down a hill. Fruit Stripe gum made the sleds. There were little trees, too. I found the directions in a magazine. It was too much work for my liking but the little girl I made it for (Sharon Annie) liked it. I've got a lot of respect for the amount of work to make those cakes now.