Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Basting with Elmer’s glue??

In another thread we’ve been discussing the pros\cons of thread\pin\spray basting. I’ve read before where some use Elmer’s glue to baste their layers together. If you’ve used this method, would you share how you did it and your success with this method?? Thanks so much!
    Sherrie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Basting with Elmer’s glue??

I would never do that. I remember making ornaments with felt and Elmer's glue as a kid in school and they lasted forever, it never washed out that I can remember. That's just scary.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't risk it. There are some excellent temporary spray adhesives for fabric that completely wash out. My favorite is 505 spray.

4. Thanks giig21 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It's done all the time. A couple of links and how-to info for you.

http://sarasquiltingcorner.blogspot....-tutorial.html

More info here

https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...h-t234434.html

There are even shortages sometimes so stock up when you find a good sale. LOL!

PS: I use it to tame stubborn corners on binding, etc. A quick dab and press of the iron keeps them in place perfect. I t works great.

ETA NOTE: School glue only as it washes out.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Rhonda K; September 27th, 2017 at 09:35 AM.

6. Thanks Thayer Abaigael, Claire Hallman, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Elmer's WASHABLE School glue works wonders - and since it is made for quick-set and temporary it is made to wash out easily and it does.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have done some difficult seams and had no problem. It just takes a very tiny dot on a seam, then a hot dry iron to set it. I can pull it apart if I need to redo something and do it again. But I have never done a whole quilt or large item. It is washable and I have washed it out of my kids clothes when they were little, so I know it can be washed out.
    It may depend on how heavily it is applied or something for those who had trouble. Or maybe they did not use name brand?

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    It's done all the time. A couple of links and how-to info for you.

http://sarasquiltingcorner.blogspot....-tutorial.html

More info here

https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...h-t234434.html

There are even shortages sometimes so stock up when you find a good sale. LOL!

PS: I use it to tame stubborn corners on binding, etc. A quick dab and press of the iron keeps them in place perfect. I t works great.

ETA NOTE: School glue only as it washes out.

Have fun!
    Yes! I buy a few bottles in fall when I find it 50 cents a bottle. For me it is better than buying the big bottle that may last me forever. LOL

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post
    I would never do that. I remember making ornaments with felt and Elmer's glue as a kid in school and they lasted forever, it never washed out that I can remember. That's just scary.
    but how often do you wash felt? I did not think that was something we wash? I could be wrong. I have washed it out of basic kids clothing several times.

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used Elmer's SCHOOL GLUE to baste matching up the backing fabric on quilts, and the tight curves on piecing. The key is to use very thin bead of school glue which is basically just thick starch. Apply put fabrics together, and leave it or press with dry warm iron. It washed out. I haven't used it to baste quilts and question whether it would work well with batting. I am afraid you would have to use a lot and it would make quilting difficult.

I prefer Roxanne's fabric glue or a fabric glue stick when I can get it but Elmer's School Glue works in a pinch. But don't confuse that with Elmer's all purpose or other types of glue. Those are not starch based, and they won't wash out, and some can't be stitched thru easily.

Hope that helps

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I have basted entire quilts and it works fine I water it down and brush it on with a silicone basting brush. Batting to back, iron it. Then add top and iron. Just make sure you don't have any pickers. Works great, no shifting of layers and washes out completely. I wash in cold, gentle cycle after it's quilted and bound. I hate pins! I only use glue if I'm going to machine quilt (which isn't often) it's too hard to hand quilt through. Elmer's washable...it's cheap by the gallon at Wal-Mart because people are crazy about making slime these days.

13. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post