Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Basting with Elmer’s glue??

On another forum I saw info on a home made all purpose spray made with flour and alcohol or vodka. Go to Chatterbox Quilts.com and you will find a couple of videos about it. I haven't tried it yet but plan to. It has been used for basting a quilt, as a starch/stiffening agent, and as a glue to hold binding. You have to register to get the download but if you don't want occasional emails you can unsubscribe.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This is my favorite basting method. But, as others have pointed out...use SCHOOL glue. Washes right out. I have used it full strength and diluted. I think I like the full strength better. Just little beads of glue evenly distributed over the surface holds everything together beautifully. Doesn't gum my needle. Doesn't work loose. It's great!

I bought a gallon last year, and a brown moldy scum has formed on the surface of what's left in the jug. I think I'm going to buy smaller bottles from now on.

3. Thanks sherriequilts, Angelia thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I basted my last two quilts this way. Still deciding if I like it. It was easier than spray basting, because my spray cans gunk up, even with all the good advise I have received here. I watered the glue down 2 to 1. Painted with sponge brush , back to batting, iron, then front to batting. There was a secure baste, no fabric shifting, but the quilt was STIFF as I quilted it, and that caused some issues. Glue completely washed out, though and left absolutely no stain. Quilt is soft again. I am working on 2nd right now. Learned lesson and paint less glue on, or thinner. This one is not as secure though and I needed to add some pins. So jury is still out.

5. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

So if you baste a whole quilt with Elmers, do you still do stabilizing SITD before commencing your quilting or do you think the glue holds firmly enough that this is not necessary?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is the only way I baste. Make sure it is washable school glue. Think of it like pin basting; you don't have to cover every square inch. I make a grid-like pattern.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

8. Thanks Old Newbie, sherriequilts thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angelia View Post
    This is the only way I baste. Make sure it is washable school glue. Think of it like pin basting; you don't have to cover every square inch. I make a grid-like pattern.
    Oh, now I never thought about it like thst. I'm so used to spray basting now that it didn't occur to me that I didn't need to cover every bit.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhaggerty View Post
    I have used elmers school glue for appliqué and it washes out fine! Not hard, just feels like fabric.
    I do not see any issue with it!
    Good to know. I may have to try this! Thanks.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

After reading this post, I used a little Elmer's school glue to hold down a stubborn corner on a quilt. Worked like a charm, and washed out with no issues. Thanks for the tip!

12. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I tried this today (after trying on some sample sandwiches and having no trouble machine quilting through it) and really like it! I ironed with the top to the batting, but not the backing to the batting -- I'm not convinced the ironing is necessary so long as you make sure you really go over the whole top with your hands smoothing it down and pressing the layers together. Also, I found it most effective to keep the glue bottle in contact with the quilt top -- dragging it on the top while squeezing really helped avoid blobs. I did a 60 x 72 couch quilt, and it took just over a 4 ounce bottle (took about 5 ounces), which costs nearly nothing. And no fumes!

14. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been doing this this year and I'm really happy with it... I agree the heat isn't needed if you leave it to dry long enough. I'm thinking about brushing it on with one of those spongey paint "brushes" next time, as I have weak wrists and squeezing the bottle over a twin size quilt did hurt. It is nice to be fume free and effective. Definitely a thumbs up in my book as well.

16. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post