Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Info on the Forbes voting

I am in Hamilton, for the last day of the Birthday Bash and the Fall Forum Retreat. I have had the opportunity to speak with several people about the Forbes voting and no understanding how a company could get 40,000+ votes in such a short time.

I was told by a "Reliable source" and confirmed by another "Reliable source" that Forbes determined that the company that got over 100,000 votes had done so by cheating. In fact Forbes froze the companies vote counter at least six hours prior to the end of voting. It is alleged that they were using a bot to get their votes.

There will be an announcement regarding the winner of the contest in the next two weeks. Forbes asked that all contestants withhold announcing the winners name until all companies who participated can be notified.

So stay tuned, it ain't over until Jenny Sings!

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, sewbizzy, Midge, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Info on the Forbes voting

Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    I am in Hamilton, for the last day of the Birthday Bash and the Fall Forum Retreat. I have had the opportunity to speak with several people about the Forbes voting and no understanding how a company could get 40,000+ votes in such a short time.

I was told by a "Reliable source" and confirmed by another "Reliable source" that Forbes determined that the company that got over 100,000 votes had done so by cheating. In fact Forbes froze the companies vote counter at least six hours prior to the end of voting. It is alleged that they were using a bot to get their votes.

There will be an announcement regarding the winner of the contest in the next two weeks. Forbes asked that all contestants withhold announcing the winners name until all companies who participated can be notified.

So stay tuned, it ain't over until Jenny Sings!
    Good to know and your last statement is very cute

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, BobW thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I emailed Forbes Magazine on the 21st, told them about the huge increase in votes in a 24 hr period, and suggested they might want to check the validity of the votes. I was hoping others contacted them too.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, BobW thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would not be comfortable doing business with a company that felt the need to cheat to win a contest. What kind of ethics is that? Why wouldn't they also feel free to cheat their customers.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

8. Thanks BobW thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well idk Forbes policy but if there was cheating involved I hope the companies will be barred from participating next year. And I hope Forbes makes a formal announcement identifying the cheating company by name.

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, BobW thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Was it only one company that did this or more? I was off the forum for awhile and didn't really know about the voting. I hope they get called out.

Lorie

12. Thanks BobW thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be interested to know how it all turns out. It might be that Forbes will have to reconfigure how they run such a contest in the future. With more than one award available, it seems like the voting should have lesser importance that some other criteria.

I can only imagine how frustrating this voting process was for some of the smaller, small town shops. They can hold their heads high that they didn't stoop to such lows to gain votes. Being nominated, in and of itself, is a great honor.

Sending out positive vibes for the M* crew! I'm still hoping they'll win something! Even if they don't, they'll always be shining stars in my book!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

14. Thanks LLLinda, BobW thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to suggest we all refrain from accusations. Even if some of the votes may not be legit, this does not mean that the business owner was involved. It could easily be an over jealous fan. Let's let Forbes do their research. Just my opinion.

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, LLLinda, shirleyknot, BobW, Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we can assume we know who cheated. It could be an employee of that company, a friend, or even an enemy who would know the cheating would be discovered thus disqualifying them. Lots of possibilities. So no conclusions indeed until we hear Jenny sing! Thanks for that quip, BobW!

18. Thanks shirleyknot, BobW thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if Forbes figures it out and eliminates the wrongful votes kudos to them

20. Thanks BobW thanked for this post