Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Worried Sick

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Worried Sick

What she did was still illegal. She had other recourse to get her (and her co-worker's) back pay.
    This whole mess is one great big (excuse my language please) cluster F***.

But thank you anyway for sharing your story. I know it can be embarrassing to tell others when you've been conned, but your story has actually helped so many others to be wary.

I know for myself, I'll never use HomeAdvisor, or any other on-line referral source. I checked their website, and sure they CLAIM to do background checks and so forth, but with no guarantee offered to the consumer, it's doubtful they do a very in-depth check , especially since the contractor PAY for the service. Not only that, but often times (see it in my line of work) a contractor (or other so-called professional) may lose his license, and all he has to do is get someone else (usually a spouse or other relative) to get the business license(s), insurance, etc, in their name, and the contractor is back in business without changing his ways.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, My - good luck to you.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

If she came and admitted to you that she cashed your check, why do you need to get a lawyer? You should be off the hook for payment. Get that in writing from her and you should be done. It is up to those two to work it out.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kim
    I am so sorry you have this mess thrust upon you......As honest people, most of us would never think of doing such a thing as this. I am surprised that the contractor told you the story about the wages owed.....which brings me to another point, if you don't mind my asking ?
    Here goes ....So, if said contractor owed wages to his employees, and they split the check between the employees he owed money to, YOU OWE HIM NOTHING.....HE has been paid. I would ask this guy to give you a written statement to this fact, and take this statement to the Lawyer.

YAHOO.....you don't owe him a single cent Kim !!! This is great ! ....it certainly isn't your fault that he is running some sort of Ponzi Scheme with his employees.

Take care......and big, HUGE......(((((HUGS))))) to you !!!!

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
    Kim
    I am so sorry you have this mess thrust upon you......As honest people, most of us would never think of doing such a thing as this. I am surprised that the contractor told you the story about the wages owed.....which brings me to another point, if you don't mind my asking ?
    Here goes ....So, if said contractor owed wages to his employees, and they split the check between the employees he owed money to, YOU OWE HIM NOTHING.....HE has been paid. I would ask this guy to give you a written statement to this fact, and take this statement to the Lawyer.

YAHOO.....you don't owe him a single cent Kim !!! This is great ! ....it certainly isn't your fault that he is running some sort of Ponzi Scheme with his employees.

Take care......and big, HUGE......(((((HUGS))))) to you !!!!
    I'm in the clear, but it was not the contractor (Mr. Smock) who told me about this. His employee Morgan showed up on my doorstep crying the other morning and told me this story. I don't know her address or phone number, as she was just an employee working on the job site, staining our front steps after they power washed all the outside wood and were then staining it. She left after telling me her side of things.

I'm feeling relieved that we seem to have dodged a bullet financially but I just want my lawyer neighbor to confirm it.

6. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kim, I would want further confirmation too. I think that is a smart move. Hope you have a peaceful night.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to update you all that we went to the attorney today and we are in the clear. Any legal problem is between the employee and employer. Whew!

I really appreciate all your support. It's so nice to have someplace supportive to turn to when you're alone freaking out in the middle of the night. The house can fall down around our ears as far as I'm concerned from now on. No more contractors! D:

The double signature checks are ordered and on the way so hopefully we won't get duped in tandem.

9. Thanks Juliet Taylor, Midge, Claire Hallman, RiverMomm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow! That is awesome news! I'm betting y'all will sleep much better tonight!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's good news! I've found contractors on Angie's list that all worked out if you still need some.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimsophia View Post
    I just wanted to update you all that we went to the attorney today and we are in the clear. Any legal problem is between the employee and employer. Whew!

I really appreciate all your support. It's so nice to have someplace supportive to turn to when you're alone freaking out in the middle of the night. The house can fall down around our ears as far as I'm concerned from now on. No more contractors! D:

The double signature checks are ordered and on the way so hopefully we won't get duped in tandem.
    AWESOME News Kim....!! I hope that your solution to use the double signature on your checks works ( I am sure it will! )
    You're right about this forum....there's a bunch of awesome people here on the forum day or night that will listen and give you a (((HUG ))) and/or advice !
    So glad you got good news from the lawyer !

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"