• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ltoppins
    Binding Belle
    • Mar 2015

Quilt label

What is the typical size of a quilt label? The quilt in mind is a throw size made for my niece as a wedding gift.
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Re: Quilt label

I don't think there is one, just be creative!

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...9953&term_meta[]=wedding%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=quilt%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=labels%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• cv quilter
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

I don't think about the size of my label. Most of mine are done on the embroidery machine, but I kind of decide how big the label will be after I have it all worked out on the machine. I don't really think there is any "rule" about the size of labels. Some of my labels are only triangles sewn into one of the corners of my quilt. Say what you want to on the label so you can tell what you feel needs to be told.
      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• Bubby
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2011

The best size is the size you feel like making. No rules around here. The most important thing is that you are adding a label.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Sandy Navas
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2010

I've even seen some that were stitched on the binding of the quilt - unique!
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Ltoppins
            Binding Belle
            • Mar 2015

Thanks! I had one stitched out on my embroidery machine and my husband said it was way too big. It's probably 4 x 6". I'll tell him to go back to watching football and leave the sewing to me, lol.

Comment

• Vonnie
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Ltoppins View Post
              Thanks! I had one stitched out on my embroidery machine and my husband said it was way too big. It's probably 4 x 6". I'll tell him to go back to watching football and leave the sewing to me, lol.
              I have one that size on a throw my DMIL made me. She even fussy cut a rose from the focus fabric and did a raw edge applique on the label. She did a zig zag stitch (probably about .4) around it and it has held up really nice. She gave it to me 17 years ago and it has been washed several times!
              Vonnie

Comment

• Vonnie
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                I don't think there is one, just be creative!

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...9953&term_meta[]=wedding%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=quilt%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=labels%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined
                Thanks Lori! I have bookmarked this!
                Vonnie

Comment

• auntiemern
                  Missouri Star
                  • Mar 2012

The one I just finished making for a friend is about 5 x 7 because of the size of the lettering she wanted, and what she wanted it to say. There are no rules on label size. It is what ever you want, and what you want it to say.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

• Rhonda K
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2017

I make quilt labels on the EMB machine also and they are usually at least 4x6 sometimes larger. I write a book on them so bigger IS better!

The label fabric is cut larger so it can be folded in a double layer after EMB. This gives a little piece of extra fabric in case of repairs later. I also iron a sheer stabilizer on the back of the label part and use a finer EMB thread for lettering.

Label is stitched wrong sides together and turned so the seam is in the center back of label. Then one side is stitched (WST again) and turned. This method allows the label to be stitched into the binding on two sides and then hand tacked on the two other sides.

I do trim down the label after stitching and turning. Remember if you want the writing centered to allow for the binding width on those two sides and add that allowance in accordingly.
                    Just one more stitch...

Comment

• PrettyCurious
                      The Guild President
                      • Mar 2016

I got tired of over-thinking this, and bought some that say "Made with love by my name" on one side, and "Wash cold Dry normal" on the back. Now I just sew it into the binding and move on.
                      Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

• Ltoppins
                        Binding Belle
                        • Mar 2015

You have all given me some great ideas!

Comment

• JCY
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jul 2013

My quilt labels are smaller. I make a Word doc. on the computer. I usually can fit 6-8 labels (2 columns) on an 8.5 x 11" fabric sheet. My labels usually include the name of the pattern, sometimes the fabric line, then "Pieced & quilted by (my name)" and the year. If it's a special quilt for a special occasion/person, I may include more info. I hand sew the labels on the lower R. corner of the back -- which is my least favorite part of making a quilt. The fabric sheets are available from Amazon (10 sheets/pkg.) for ~$10. I "bold" the lettering, then press the sheet with a hot dry iron before removing the backing. I turn the edge of the label under ~1/4" all the way around & press with the iron.

Comment

• MSN
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jan 2017

I am trying to make labels on my embroidery machine, but it's just not working at all. I am new to machine embroidery, and have gotten very frustrated by trying to figure it out by myself. I would greatly appreciate any tips from those of you who do this. What size lettering do you use? Do you have a favorite font? My labels will include a LOT of lettering, as I plan to include detailed washing instructions as well as a dedication.

Comment

• Georgie Girl
                              The Guild President
                              • Apr 2017

It took me a bit to get comfortable with my machine. There is a lot of prep work in getting to the point of actually stitching the label. Which machine do you have. Mine is old and I was looking at the new ones (talk about pricey) and they are more user friendly. It all depends what you are having trouble with. You might be using to small of hoop or your font is to big, or maybe your fabric isn't tight enough in the hoop, do you have stabilizer on your fabric, etc. Where is your frustration? It takes me forever to input the letters and a design. Mine is in the shop right now for the second time. Talk about frustration. I was ready to throw it out the window.

Comment

Working...
                              X