Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Question Frustrated

Do you find that you cut your pieces out ( and are fairly precise about cutting) and then
    sew them together that one of the pieces is a bit longer then the other? It wasn't before
    you sewed it. I am working on the intersecting quilt and cut all my pieces out. Sat down
    and chain pieced the first two pieces together and when I went to press them the one
    piece was a bit longer then the other. To save some time I decided to not trim them
    until after I put the other piece on. Paid careful attention to matching up the pieces and
    after sewing they are off even more with the other piece. I find this a lot in piecing.

I have a Janome machine. Should I put my walking foot on with the 1/4 guide and piece
    that way? I have always just used my regular 1/4 inch foot. I don't want to have to take
    all the pieces apart but I always want them to match up and go together smoothly. I've
    been sewing for years and have noticed this but with this block it seems VERY obvious!

Any suggestions, recommendations, or advice?

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Frustrated

I've noticed this and the problem can be more noticeable in some fabrics. I've had luck by adjusting the presser foot pressure.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like maybe the feed dogs are moving one piece along faster than the top piece. I would not do regular piecing on cotton fabrics with a walking foot.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I worry about your comment about being fairly precise in your cutting. Are you sure your problem doesn't lay there?

If the cutting is ok, I agree with JCY that your feed dogs are likely to blame. Or, are you pulling the fabric through the machine which could skew the piece?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Even though I chain piece, I poke the top right corner of every piece I start under the needle with my stilletto. Often that top piece will not move with the bottom, as the feed dogs start to catch it. That will make your seam off a tiny bit at the start. Then once I have a few stitches in, I stop, and grab both ends and make sure they are even. If they start to shift, I poke the top piece with my stilletto once more to make them even. I do not pull or push the fabric, but finger tip guide it as it goes under the needle. Unless it needs a poke, then I just poke it with my stilletto.
    Starting with nicely pressed [using starch or best press] fabric helps a lot. Sometimes with I see people sewing several pieces on a block that obviously hasn't been pressed, I wonder how it can possibly come out ok. it usually doesn't, and they wonder why.

If you don't have a stilletto, you can use a wooden shishkabob stick, cut short enough to handle.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think you've gotten great advice above. The thing I thought about was bias on triangles, it's easier to get those stretched out a bit more.

I can't find my stiletto since we moved. It has to be around here somewhere. It's such a handy tool.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have this foot?
    https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/j...BoC_QEQAvD_BwE

I found that my piecing is much better when I bought a foot specifically for my Babylock. Other 1/4" feet did not give me an accurate 1/4". Something to do with the feed dogs. Generic feet just did not cover the feed dogs and they were making my seams off.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Another reason I like pins. It stops most of that shift.

9. Thanks sherriequilts thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    It sounds like maybe the feed dogs are moving one piece along faster than the top piece. I would not do regular piecing on cotton fabrics with a walking foot.
    Is there a reason you would not want to do this? I often use my walking foot when piecing, especially when sewing long pieces like when making strip sets, I seem to have better success when I use it. Maybe I should rethink this practice.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is the reason I love my Pfaff. IDT is a built in walking foot system. It works beautifully. It works with almost every foot .
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud