Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spray vs pin Basting and needle changing

I only use spray basting. I sometimes go out on the patio to baste my project so I don't have any odor in the house. I also for smaller projects work on the top of my bed. I have a king-sized mattress pad I put over my bed to avoid getting the spray on my bed.

I managed hotels for several years and I go to a local hotel to buy the mattress pads, I usually pay $2 for one. The hotels have to pull them if they get a burn, rip or stain.

2. Thanks Katiebloom thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I might use spray basting on smaller projects. I just made two toddler quilts with it. But I hate the overspray mess. As careful as I try to be, it still gets on my floor ... and sometimes on my little dog if she is under foot! I prefer to thread baste with hand quilting thread in large 2 inch stitches - start in the middle and stitch in a star burst fashion. I just don't have the strength in my arthritic hands to use safety pins, and having to to start and stop to undo them for the same reason. With thread basting, I just clip the threads as I come across them and can keep one hand on the quilt. I use a kitchen table with two leaves that belonged to my mother as a basting surface. I clamp each layer down tight with some quick release grippers. I place a bed riser under each leg of the table - the table is light enough for me to lift and nudge the riser in place with my foot. Taking the table down is super easy too. No more crawling on the floor for me! There are lots of great suggestions in this discussion. Find what works best for you.
    Last edited by kgirlmom; September 16th, 2017 at 04:02 PM.

4. Thanks Katiebloom thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto what Julie A said. (I am a also a Julie A)

6. Thanks Katiebloom thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an intriguing idea updating the Sharon Shumber board method with pool noodles! Wadding is the Australian and or British term for quilt batting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCIdv6iwLeQ
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

8. Thanks Katiebloom thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an intriguing idea updating the Sharon Shumber board method with pool noodles!

I LOVE this idea! I am going to try this on my next quilt.
    Diana Grey

10. Thanks Katiebloom thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I put down old shower curtains on floor or bed. Then I put backing down and then batting. I roll up the batting and spray about 12" press down and proceed down the quilt. Then I do the top the same way. I also iron the top and back to help "stick" everything down. I find that after the shower curtains are dry they are no longer sticky.

12. Thanks Irene221b, Katiebloom thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I too am loving the pool noodle idea. Now to see if I can find some noodles!
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

14. Thanks Katiebloom thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love using 505 spray! If I had to use pins I would probably not quilt. My dad has a big workshop with a large work table that I use to layer & baste my quilts. We leave the door open & air on for ventilation. If possible I would use spray outdoors the quilt on a table or two or even on a concrete slab or driveway.

I layer & spray baste my quilts pretty much like Vonnie mentioned. You can clamp or tape backing to a table or tape it to the floor or concrete. If you spray inside I would cover the area around with an old sheet, newspaper or garbage bags.

505 spray will hold a long time....even months long. Try a small can and see if you like it. Good luck.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

16. Thanks Katiebloom thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have one machine set up to piece with a 1/4 inch guide, and my other one to quilt. That way, I can leave my walking foot on for a long time. I also have another machine with no special feet or guides that I use for things that don't need that stuff. That way, I don't have to remove my guide or my walking foot very often.
    Oh, I have more then 3 machines, but these are what I use the most.
    I spray and pin. I put a large plastic sheet down to keep any over-spray off the floor.

18. Thanks Katiebloom thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Katie bloom,
    I've used spray basting before and it works really well but it's not my favorite. You really have to be careful with overspray and it's highly recommended you use it with your windows open. That's not an option in the dead of winter in the Midwest. If you decide to try it, definitely get the 505. In my personal experience the June tailor brand was awful .. came out clumpy and smelled.

I've also used fusible batting before with good results. It's not the easiest to find in my area. Connecting Threads has it and right now their batting is on sale. I've found this works best on smaller projects as you really need to iron the backing and then the quilt top to the batting. I have a big board so that helps. How I use it is to lay the batting on my ironing board then place the backing. Starting in the middle I iron towards one end. Then flip it around and do the other half. Repeat with your quilt top. Then I'll check the back to make sure I haven't gotten any wrinkles. Then let it sit for about a day. It works really well it's just physically harder with much bigger than a 50 x 60 Quilt .. for me anyway.

So my current favorite is pin basting. First I use big safety pins .. I think they're 2 or 2 1/2 inch. I clear my cutting table and use blue painters tape and tape the top half of the backing down. Get it really tight, moving and adjusting where needed. Then I lay the batting down and then the top. I try to avoid putting pins where I know I'm going to quilt ... I get that right about half the time . I also use a Kwik Clip made by Paula Jeans Creations. I'm right handed so I pin with my right hand and hold the Kwik Clip in my left. This tool helps close up the pin and avoid hand strain. It feels really clumsy at first.. so if you get one, practice with it a bit. Once you get it, your hands and fingers will thank you .

I haven't used thread basting but plan to learn. I'd like to do more FMQ and am afraid I'll get caught up and run over a pin.

Changing feet, especially that walking foot. Sometimes it feels like you have all thumbs but just keep practicing it and you'll be a pro in no time. Also if your machine came with a less than stellar screwdriver go check out your local hardware store. A quality screwdriver is an important part of your sewing tool box and I'm always less than impressed by what most sewing machines come with.

Needles ... i never used to think this but now I do. The more you change them, the happier you'll be with stitch quality.

And most important.. have fun!!
    Sherrie
    Last edited by sherriequilts; September 17th, 2017 at 01:52 AM.

20. Thanks Katiebloom thanked for this post