Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions please on using deco bob 80wt thread?

I found a reel of this in my drawer this afternoon and was wondering what it would be used for. It's a thin poly thread and I was thinking it could be handy for ditch stitching/stabilizing before quilting. I often use water soluble thread for this purpose if I don't want the stabilizing grid to stay in the finished quilt but was wondering whether this thinner weight thread might be the go? Any opinions? Anyone used this thread?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Opinions please on using deco bob 80wt thread?

I've heard it used in bobbin thread but never used it myself.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

80 wt is extremely thin. I would give it a try in the bobbin or anywhere it wouldn't be crucial to holding your quilt together permanently (basting, stabilizing, etc). You won't know until you experiment with it a little.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just read about 80 wt thread as I was curious. I found this on the aurifil blog. I have never used it but it has lots of suggestions.
    https://auribuzz.wordpress.com/2017/...urifil-part-3/
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou everyone for your replies...sorry it has taken me so long to acknowledge your posts but I have been "off line" for the last few weeks with extra work commitments and have only just found time this evening to catch up.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I recently saw Deco Bob used for applique , and it looked great. It convinced me to buy a spool, because I have a project coming up to try it out on.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think what you have is from Superior Threads? If so, they have a couple different choices both cotton and poly in very fine threads wound on bobbins so you can get an assortment for little investment. I'm using the SuperBobs polyester threads right now for an English Paper Piecing project. It is not 80wt, though, it's 60 wt 2 ply. It is actually their Bottom Line thread prewound on the cardboard sided bobbins. I chose to use this polyester thread for my project after watching the Sue Daley videos on YouTube. It's what she uses. There is also Aurifil 80wt cotton thread for applique and EPP which is very nice to use. Comes on wooden spools. Here are a few hexagon blocks I've made for my project using the Bottom Line threads. Stitches hardly show on the front, and I am just a beginner at this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-10-07 12.45.13.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	146868

8. Thanks Grey Lady thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    I would give it a try in the bobbin or anywhere it wouldn't be crucial to holding your quilt together permanently.
    Sooooo.... bobbin thread isn't crucial to holding the quilt together?? I admit to scratching my head on that one....

I agree with the poster who said to use it for applique. A few years ago I tried Superior's Bottom Line (60 wt) and fell in love with it. I use it exclusively for everything now, including piecing. But my favorite is using it for applique - it sinks right into the fabric as sweetly as silk thread (at half the cost!). I bought a donut full of bobbins in assorted colors for applique, although you really only need 2 or 3 colors. I also use it for miniatures, where it's important to have less bulk in the seams.

I think your 80 wt will do just fine for whatever you want. As long as it passes the snap test (take a foot-long length of thread and give it a hearty snap to see if you can break it), it's strong enough to handle whatever you want to use it for.
    Last edited by Peggi; October 15th, 2017 at 03:18 AM.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou everyone..appreciated.