• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shirleyknot
    Banned
    Missouri Star
    • Sep 2014

Unless you have relatives in Jamaica

don't answer any number with 876 area code. Scammer using rotating phone numbers, but always the same area code. Caller ID usually says Kingston JM.
  • Judy, USMC
    Missouri Star
    • May 2013

Re: Unless you have relatives in Jamaica

Good advice for someone who automatically answers every call.

I don't answer any unknown numbers. I have voice mail and if I don't recognize the caller I'll let it go to voice mail. And if they don't leave a message I block them. I've heard that if you answer your number gets passed around to other scammers as a "live" number.

Comment

• shirleyknot
      Banned
      Missouri Star
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
      Good advice for someone who automatically answers every call.

I don't answer any unknown numbers. I have voice mail and if I don't recognize the caller I'll let it go to voice mail. And if they don't leave a message I block them. I've heard that if you answer your number gets passed around to other scammers as a "live" number.
      You heard correctly. Like you, I answer nothing I don't recognize, and tend to research anything that seems suspicious.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2013

I only get one spammer about three times a week (yes nap time naturally). It's one of those "because you stayed with us" resort calls. I haven't been to a resort since Hilton Head in the 70's. Thing is it comes in from different numbers, all generally local but not always. I even had one come in that was from the local hospital number. Other times if you try calling the number back it is a disconnected number. I guess they are getting quite crafty. Anyone know if it costs them anything if you just leave it off the hook under a pillow as they're talking?
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• shirleyknot
          Banned
          Missouri Star
          • Sep 2014

Why do you answer them? Don't you have voicemail?

Comment

• Iris Girl
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2013

I answer nothing unless it is the hubbs or kiddos everything else goes to voicemail or answer machine.
            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
            Sigmund Freud

Comment

• LindaKay75
              The Guild President
              • Mar 2014

Thank you, very good information. I have caller id and never answer any unknown number or name. I was off my guard one time and answered. It says 'returning your call', which of course I never did call whoever. Scammers, if caught, should spend time in prison!!!!
              sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2013

Probably several reasons. I generally only get phone calls from people I know with the exception of these people. It seems that it's more of a reflex reaction. If I'm sitting at my desk or my sewing table I can just reach over, other times if I'm napping my brain isn't functioning. I'm a very heavy sleeper. But you know if it goes to voice mail I have that annoying blinking light on my phone, I have to find the voice mail phone number mainly because they recently gave me a new password for it that I don't remember, then I have to click on keys to get to the voice mail and afterward have to click on keys to delete it to get the darn flashing light off. It's faster to just pick up the phone and hang it up right away then go through all that rig-a-ma-roll to go through any voice mails.
                Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• shirleyknot
                  Banned
                  Missouri Star
                  • Sep 2014

Sure glad I have a land line. One tap and its gone forever.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2013

Ok, I have a land line too. What do you mean it's one tap and gone forever?

Comment

• shirleyknot
                      Banned
                      Missouri Star
                      • Sep 2014

I mean messages are that easy to erase. No password, no dialing in to find them, etc. Just push the button.

Comment

• SuzyQue
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2010

I have been getting phone calls with our local number shown, or people I call or that have called me, or even my own number. They are sometimes someone I want to talk to and know, but generally when the phone rings it is not someone I want to talk to. I am trying to train myself to not answer no matter what number comes up. It is a hassle to return calls or check voicemail, but I am so tired of all the junk calls!

Comment

• shirleyknot
                          Banned
                          Missouri Star
                          • Sep 2014

And the best way to stop them is to never answer them. You answer, and they know they have a live number. Then not only do you get calls from THEM constantly, but they sell your number to others.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2013

Shirley, ok, yes. I have a land line and it's a walk around phone with a base. It has a thing for messages. For some unknown reason it only occasionally goes to that and I can delete from there but for the most part it shows up there but I can't hear a message unless I call the phone companies message center. Granted, I didn't keep up with a lot of the newer technologies the 12 years I was off grid in Canada, no phones, no FB, twitter, I-pods, no toilet only an outhouse etc. I'd go to the library maybe once a week and use theirs. Everything was very different when I got back here 5 years ago and I'm still playing catchup. Many of the technologies seem to be tailored to specific brands so often I'll just say screw it! I've come to hate technology. Amazing to me that I went from being very saavy to this stuff in the late 90's and lower 2000's to now LOL

Comment

• shirleyknot
                              Banned
                              Missouri Star
                              • Sep 2014

My phone is 16 years old and cost me about $12 when I bought it. NOT very complicated. I don't LIKE complicated. I still have a 1980 Princess phone because it even works when the power goes out, unlike the "newer" phone.

Comment

Working...
                              X