Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone have the HQ Simply 16 w/Little Foot Frame?

Trying to see what actual owners of the Simply 16 think of the machine. I'm on the fence between getting a stand up or sit down long arm/mid arm. Don't have tons of money or space to spend on a full size long arm and frame. I know it's personal preference as to which way to go but any input would be helpful. I am going to test drive both types in a few weeks. Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does anyone have the HQ Simply 16 w/Little Foot Frame?

I have a Babylock Crown Jewell on a 10 foot frame. Not exactly the same as what you are going for but similar. But, I will tell you my reasons for getting one on a frame versus sitdown.

Number one reason - making a queen size quilt sandwich. I have high blood pressure and the last one I did, I had to use the living room floor and I felt like my head was going to fall off before I was through. And since we don't own a forklift to help me get back up, getting down on the floor is not an option.
    Number two reason - even though I was careful putting that queen size quilt together, I had a lot of shifting.

I could only fit a 10 foot frame in what used to be the kids playroom but is now my playroom. But I can quilt a queen size quilt on it.

The main reason I bought a Babylock is that I live close to a dealer and they have excellent customer service. They have even made house calls!

So, whatever machine you choose, in my opinion, customer service should be your number one consideration. A longarm, whether a sitdown or on a frame, is an investment. It can be very frustrating if you don't have good customer service to call upon. You can google the company/dealer you are thinking of buying from and see what people have to say about them.

There are a lot of videos out there. I highly recommend watching anything with Angela Walters. She quilts both on a sit down and on a frame.

Good luck with whatever machine you choose. And don't be afraid to play with it!
    Vonnie

3. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info! I agree about the customer service. Unfortunately, the shop I'm looking at visiting is about 2 hours away but I will definitely be trying out before buying. I don't have a dealer near by which does concern me if I would need something repaired on a machine of that size and price. I'm not going to rush into buying even though it's tempting.
    Tracie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Tracie,

I am a Bernina Q24 long arm owner, but I can respond to your question. Last summer, long before I really started contemplating a machine purchase, I quilted two small children's quilts on a Simply Sixteen.

I found, after 3 hours, I was really sore in the shoulders and back, and I was not the one physically moving the quilt to reposition. I do not have this problem on my Bernina.

I understand from seeing others posts that repositioning on the small frame gets better with practice. For me, it would drive me crazy.

If you can, try other machines before you totally set your sights on this machine. I ended up with a Bernina and was pretty sure I was going to buy an Innova. It's what works best for you. Best of luck.
    Bernina 770QE, Bernina 1120, Bernina Nova 900, BabyLock Ovation, Bernina Q24 Long arm

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Tracie, I have the Babylock Tiara III sit down long arm with the added 18 inch leaf. It is pretty much the same machine as the HQ Sweet 16. It takes up a 30 x 36 inch floor space. I admit that it does get difficult for me to move a large quilt around on it for the quilting, but I have placed my machine next to and at the same height as my cutting table, and put the extra leaf up, which gives me a lot of room to move it around. I do have to make sure that my quilt sandwich is smooth so I spray baste it and seem to do OK with it. I think overall I really like my sit down, as I really don't have the room for a long arm on a frame, but think the frame would definitely give me more opportunity to quilt different patterns without having to move the quilt around. I agree with Vonnie. Consider the customer service for the machine you buy as a priority. I have a Babylock dealer close by (about 18 miles away) who gives great service, and also would make house calls if needed. Good luck with your decision and absolutely try out whatever machine you decide to purchase.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, my quilting friend and I recently bought the Simply 16 with the little foot frame - we love it - space was a major concern for us, as well as price - however, once we realized that you can add wheels to the frame that kinda sealed the deal. We are newbies (couple of years) to quilting, and have found the Simply 16 really very easy to use - so much better than man-handling quilt bulk under out DSMs - I agree with the other comments here - you need to try before you buy, and be really comfortable with your dealer - lets face it - it ain't a cheap purchase. Our dealer is about 45 mins away - but happy to talk/answer questions on the phone at almost anytime.
    Good luck, Alison
    "There was an old owl lived in an oak; The more he heard, the less he spoke; The less he spoke, the more he heard; O, if men were all like that wise bird!" Punch vol.68, pg155 (1875)

8. Thanks Lyndaj thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for all the input. I truly appreciate it. It's such an investment and I don't want to end up with regretting my decision. I had watched on Youtube someone demonstrating how to load the quilt and you are right, Lynda, it does seem like a constant hassle on the Simply Sixteen to be always shifting on the smaller frame. I may as well just get the sit down and push the quilt around at that rate. I do like the Tiara's, I saw a demonstration on Youtube for those too. Well, I'll go try them out and go from there. Thanks, again. Have a good night!
    Tracie

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Do you feel like you are constantly re-positioning on the smaller frame? I mentioned above about the Youtube video I saw and it was like she spent more time unloading and loading the frame so she could quilt other parts of the quilt. I do love the idea of moving the machine instead of the fabric though. Thanks for your advice!
    Tracie

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

not really - yes, you do have to re-position - but how many times simply depends on the size of the quilts - we don't do large (queen/king size) quilts - the thing that I had to get my head around was remembering to quit horizontally - sounds weird I know, but I kept forgetting to go sideways. Moving the quilt is fine - the clamps are easy to re-position. However, if that is going to irk you - it will be a problem.
    "There was an old owl lived in an oak; The more he heard, the less he spoke; The less he spoke, the more he heard; O, if men were all like that wise bird!" Punch vol.68, pg155 (1875)

12. Thanks Tracie T thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the studio frame with mine. They can make it 8' long. That makes me able to quilt one about 72" wide. I didn't have much space for it, so that's what we did with mine. The best part is no more sandwiching the 3 layers of the quilt. I bought some groovy boards and pantograph. That makes edge to edge quilting a breeze. I love it!

14. Thanks Tracie T thanked for this post