Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does anyone have the HQ Simply 16 w/Little Foot Frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Baba View Post
    not really - yes, you do have to re-position - but how many times simply depends on the size of the quilts - we don't do large (queen/king size) quilts - the thing that I had to get my head around was remembering to quit horizontally - sounds weird I know, but I kept forgetting to go sideways. Moving the quilt is fine - the clamps are easy to re-position. However, if that is going to irk you - it will be a problem.
    That's funny, I didn't think about going sideways. I'd probably do the same thing until I got used to it. LOL
    Tracie

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
    I bought the studio frame with mine. They can make it 8' long. That makes me able to quilt one about 72" wide. I didn't have much space for it, so that's what we did with mine. The best part is no more sandwiching the 3 layers of the quilt. I bought some groovy boards and pantograph. That makes edge to edge quilting a breeze. I love it!
    Oh, cool. I might be able to fit a 8' frame. Is the price much more with the bigger frame?
    Tracie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tracie T View Post
    Thank you so much for all the input. I truly appreciate it. It's such an investment and I don't want to end up with regretting my decision. I had watched on Youtube someone demonstrating how to load the quilt and you are right, Lynda, it does seem like a constant hassle on the Simply Sixteen to be always shifting on the smaller frame. I may as well just get the sit down and push the quilt around at that rate. I do like the Tiara's, I saw a demonstration on Youtube for those too. Well, I'll go try them out and go from there. Thanks, again. Have a good night!
    Tracie, just one last thing. In case you don't know, HandiQuilter makes BabyLock's long arm machines. If you want a sit down, look at the HandiQuilter equivalent to the Tiara. Pretty sure you will spend less money buying HandiQuilter. Best of luck.
    Bernina 770QE, Bernina 1120, Bernina Nova 900, BabyLock Ovation, Bernina Q24 Long arm

4. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tracie, I just ordered the Handiquilter sweet sixteen sit down machine. I have been looking for months at different machines and prices. I got a good,price with lots of extras. I don't have dealers that close to me and really didn't want to travel between a hour plus for machine service. I went to dealer 45 minutes away and she had a platinum 16 she said she would give me real on. It had sat in her shop for a couple years. so went to look and she didn't even have it threaded and said she has never used it . Plus it was more money than what I purchased. Wasn't even willing for me to sit down and try it as it was pushed into a corner of her shop. I hope all will be well with my machine etc. large learning curve for sure.

6. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know, Lyndaj! It seems to me every time I tried to find a price for a Babylock online, I couldn't find one. They apparently don't list the price because they are more expensive. Thanks!
    Tracie

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trish04 View Post
    Hi Tracie, I just ordered the Handiquilter sweet sixteen sit down machine. I have been looking for months at different machines and prices. I got a good,price with lots of extras. I don't have dealers that close to me and really didn't want to travel between a hour plus for machine service. I went to dealer 45 minutes away and she had a platinum 16 she said she would give me real on. It had sat in her shop for a couple years. so went to look and she didn't even have it threaded and said she has never used it . Plus it was more money than what I purchased. Wasn't even willing for me to sit down and try it as it was pushed into a corner of her shop. I hope all will be well with my machine etc. large learning curve for sure.
    Geez, glad you didn't buy the one you couldn't try out that was stuck in the corner! I'm just so anxious to get something that I don't have to stuff my fabric through a teeny space in order to quilt. When I'm in the process, I'm thinking to myself, "Why am I putting myself through this, it's supposed to be fun!" LOL I'll be interested in hearing what you accomplish on your new machine. That's exciting. Thanks for sharing!
    Tracie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you have been doing FMQ on your DSM, you can easily quilt on the Sweet 16 or other models of table LAs. Two years ago, I bought the Baby Lock Tiara II. It was a display model in the store, frequently demo'd & used by staff. I sat down & "played" with it for an hour one day. The owner gave me a good deal on it. (I already had priced them at quilt shows, etc. where they sold for more.) My biggest learning curve was adjusting the bobbin tension & getting my stitches to look right. The tension needs to be checked with every bobbin change. Even though the dealer demonstrated to me how to thread the mach. when he brought it to the house & set it up, I watched a video on YT to refresh my memory. The manual also gives good directions. One thing he failed to tell me when I bought it, is that you need to unscrew the plate under the needle after every project & clean out the lint & put a drop of oil on the bobbin holder. I remove the thread from the needle & manually turn the wheel to rotate the bobbin holder 2-3 times to disperse the oil. Also, frequent needle changes are needed. Always after every project, but sometimes, it's needed half way through a quilt. On my last quilt project, I broke 2 or 3 needles. The first time ever for that. Maybe I got a batch of weak needles. I use the #16's. (Needles are cheaper at Superior Threads than at my LQS.) But I was quilting through some thick seam joins. Also, it's very impt. to make sure the eye of needle is not off center. The eye needs to be straight. I use a hemostat to hold the needle in the correct position before I tighten it in place. I also wax my table surface prior to starting a new project. I use the paste Turtle Wax which I buy at a local car parts store. I also use that wax on my Sew Steady Extension Table on my DSM. I've been very satisfied with my Tiara & have quilted a lot of quilts with it.

10. Thanks Wyora, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Joy thank you for all you great tips ! I have not heard about unscrewing the needle plate on the sit down , but boy that sure makes sense as I do that always on my DSM.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    If you have been doing FMQ on your DSM, you can easily quilt on the Sweet 16 or other models of table LAs. Two years ago, I bought the Baby Lock Tiara II. It was a display model in the store, frequently demo'd & used by staff. I sat down & "played" with it for an hour one day. The owner gave me a good deal on it. (I already had priced them at quilt shows, etc. where they sold for more.) My biggest learning curve was adjusting the bobbin tension & getting my stitches to look right. The tension needs to be checked with every bobbin change. Even though the dealer demonstrated to me how to thread the mach. when he brought it to the house & set it up, I watched a video on YT to refresh my memory. The manual also gives good directions. One thing he failed to tell me when I bought it, is that you need to unscrew the plate under the needle after every project & clean out the lint & put a drop of oil on the bobbin holder. I remove the thread from the needle & manually turn the wheel to rotate the bobbin holder 2-3 times to disperse the oil. Also, frequent needle changes are needed. Always after every project, but sometimes, it's needed half way through a quilt. On my last quilt project, I broke 2 or 3 needles. The first time ever for that. Maybe I got a batch of weak needles. I use the #16's. (Needles are cheaper at Superior Threads than at my LQS.) But I was quilting through some thick seam joins. Also, it's very impt. to make sure the eye of needle is not off center. The eye needs to be straight. I use a hemostat to hold the needle in the correct position before I tighten it in place. I also wax my table surface prior to starting a new project. I use the paste Turtle Wax which I buy at a local car parts store. I also use that wax on my Sew Steady Extension Table on my DSM. I've been very satisfied with my Tiara & have quilted a lot of quilts with it.
    Thank you so much! Very helpful tip!. Learning from actual owners of the machine is better than any manual, IMO
    Tracie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tracie,

I know this is an "old" thread but just wanted to give you some insight. I purchased the Simply 16 with the Handi Quilter Studio Frame at 10 feet. I have the room for it so it worked. The reason I didn't go with the Little Foot Frame is mostly because I didn't want to sandwich my quilt prior to quilting, plus I wanted a bigger workspace. I've quilted three quilts and a practice quilt and I really like this setup and I love the machine. It is perfect for getting started at longarm quilting and I know I'll have it for a long time. Will I ever move up to the Avante or the Fusion - probably sometime since they are bigger machines but for now this meets my needs and the Avante will work with the Studio frame I already have. I hope this helps.

Carolyn
    Carolyn