Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP - Week of 9/11 to 9/17, 2017

Things are getting back to normal in my world. My grandson is back in school, though the new medication regime is bothering him a bit. My daughter in law is still stressing about the disaster her household became while we were all focused elsewhere. I can relate to that. I still have outstanding laundry LOL.

I am waffling on the backing to my Sister's Choice. I have two options. I can either piece the backing using the leftover 30s prints in a Chinese Coin/Stacked Bricks or similar design or use a plain backing. Pro for a double sided quilt - only one fee to quilt, reversible. Cons for a double sided quilt - I still have to piece an entire second top yet and I'm running out of time to get it to the LAQ

suggestions?

2. Thanks iluvbaking thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP - Week of 9/11 to 9/17, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by threadbndr View Post
    Things are getting back to normal in my world. My grandson is back in school, though the new medication regime is bothering him a bit. My daughter in law is still stressing about the disaster her household became while we were all focused elsewhere. I can relate to that. I still have outstanding laundry LOL.

I am waffling on the backing to my Sister's Choice. I have two options. I can either piece the backing using the leftover 30s prints in a Chinese Coin/Stacked Bricks or similar design or use a plain backing. Pro for a double sided quilt - only one fee to quilt, reversible. Cons for a double sided quilt - I still have to piece an entire second top yet and I'm running out of time to get it to the LAQ

suggestions?
    If you are rushed for time, split the difference. Put one strip of Chinese Coin/Stacked Bricks down the center of the backing, and the rest is plain backing.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks threadbndr thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finished piecing Autumns Glory. I am still in an autumn colors mood so I pulled the Jinny Beyer Carnival Ride kit I bought at the Craftsy early Black Friday sale out. I started by trying to figure out how to simplify the design to my skill level, so I ditched the border medallions in the snowball corners. Come on, that is impossible to match up! Then I replaced two orange fat quarters in the kit with two orange fat quarters from my stash to get better contrast and definition between the fabrics. Found a dark bright red and a purple to replace the cornerstones with. Much simpler now.

My new fabric selections ( not sure which shade of the three purples I will be using yet)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3783.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	146438

My new color saturated design.

Name:	Carnival.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	146439
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

6. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty amazing, Denise. You do so many gorgeous quilts. Do you ever sell them?

I have half the teal landscape columns done and the double-wide gold column. I'm not sure what to do at the bottom since I'm not crazy about the bottom of the original piece I'm copying. That's blue and grey with a little tan.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have also returned to the routine without grandchildren at home so I am starting with some UFOs this week I am putting together a memory quilt with my mother´s handkerchiefs, I hope to finish it soon. I have also put on a zig-zag quilt that will be my first job PMQ, I hope it goes well

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I got the first Carnival block done. Only 15 more to go. I think the fabrics play well together.

Name:	100_3786.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	146479

I am really proud of how neat and even my seams turned out on the backside. I love using freezer paper to foundation piece.

Name:	100_3788.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	146480

And to answer the question, no I never sell my quilts. I quilt for fun and selling would make it work for me not fun.

10. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Denise....you make awesome quilts.....love the colors !

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better."

Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you can post photos of your handkerchief quilt...I'm hoping to make a crazy quilt using handkerchiefs. I saw some pretty photos on Facebook

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work, Denise! I love the colors, you always put so much thought into the planning, your results seem so flawless.

I'm coming out of hiding... One month ago we were in Amsterdam enjoying an enroute vacation before returning to Kazakhstan. I've since started a new school year, moved my classroom, travelled to visit friends in Tajikistan and hiked up a mountain with 50 kids who are 10 years old. Our housekeeper quit and my kids also started school. Oh, did I mention our roof is being replaced? My son took training wheels off his bike and my daughter is practicing to audition for the school musical. My daughter loves her teacher and has a best friend in her class, so a MUCH smoother start to the school year, she accelerates for Literacy and also loves that teacher. My son started first grade and his teacher is fabulous, but she also recommended acceleration for him... so he's going to second grade for both literacy and math. He is challenged in school for the first time ever and he is loving every second of it.

So, you know, just the average start to the school year around here!! LOL!

I am FINALLY sitting down to sew this evening, and I have very little work to do tomorrow other than to also continue to sew. I have two items to mend then I will keep working on a quilt top that I started in May, which was functionally in this sewing room, just a few weeks ago ;-)

I accomplished a lot this summer too but I'm not sure I ever shared all those pictures...

I ALSO had my birthday in Amsterdam and DH bought me lots of pretties at a store that sold fabrics inspired by Danish quilts of the past and the owner actually wrote a book about the history of Danish quilts. I haven't read it yet, but I look forward to it soon!

14. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post